Some of the most beautiful sites of the Bay City:

Presidio of S.F.
Strybing Arboretum
Golden Gate Park
Sausalito - lovely town on the other side of the bay
Palace of Fine Arts - beautiful architecture
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Did anyone mention proposing on one of the cable cars? California line would be better as it is a bit less crowded with tourists- timing on this would be important. Maybe you could get the conductor to "play" a wedding themed song on his bell.... "Here comes the bride" or "Going to the chapel..."??

Or maybe you could rent a sailboat with captain, take a nice champagne/caviar snack and propose on the bay--- excellent view, reasonably private.... could be daytime or evening depending on the effect you are after.

Good luck!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:18 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
I would agree with one of the other posters... drop the rental car. SF is a walking/public transit city. You can get a Muni pass for a week (buses, MUNI train, street cars and cable cars) for around $20. More info at http://www.sfmuni.com. When you want to drive, rent a car for the day.

If you are even considering the Alcatraz proposal, may I suggest that it coincide with the time in solitary. It is completely dark after the door is closed... you can't see your hand in front of your face. Have your fiance-to-be open the door when you are ready to leave, and be down on one knee with the ring.

I like the cable car idea, as well. The California line runs between Market Street and Van Ness. I'd catch it at Van Ness heading down, and propose at the top of Nob Hill. Try and do it doing an off-peak time (i.e. not on the weekend or during rush hours) and the conductors will be more cooperative at stopping for an extra minute at the top.

Sunday Brunch at the Top of the Mark is fabulous, but the service is sub-par... at least ours was. (It was so bad that a letter to the restaurant manager resulted in a full refund of the tab... around $110.)

Congratulations, and remember, no matter what you do, have fun with it. You will both remember is for the rest of your lives. Trust me, you'll be reminded of it often.

Last edited by AZ_MISMAN; Jun 21, 2005 at 10:20 am Reason: someday, I'll learn to type
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I actually proposed to my wife in San Francisco. I didn't tell her where we were going, but did warn her to pack for both warm and cold. We stayed at the W and I had a feeling that she was expecting it, so I decided to make her "work for it." We walked throughout the city, stopping to admire every view from the top of the hills. No proposal. Then, we walked along the ocean. No proposal. Finally, we walked up to Ghiradelli Square, where I pulled aside a caricaturist make a caricature for us which said "Will you marry me?" She was too tired to argue by this point, so she just agreed and we have lived happily ever after.

I'm not sure if that helps your cause at all, but it was the first FT thread that I have ever seen that has given me a chance to tell this story.

Mike
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:09 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Originally Posted by mikeef
I actually proposed to my wife in San Francisco. I didn't tell her where we were going, but did warn her to pack for both warm and cold. We stayed at the W and I had a feeling that she was expecting it, so I decided to make her "work for it." We walked throughout the city, stopping to admire every view from the top of the hills. No proposal. Then, we walked along the ocean. No proposal. Finally, we walked up to Ghiradelli Square, where I pulled aside a caricaturist make a caricature for us which said "Will you marry me?" She was too tired to argue by this point, so she just agreed and we have lived happily ever after.

I'm not sure if that helps your cause at all, but it was the first FT thread that I have ever seen that has given me a chance to tell this story.

Mike
Sounds like a great story. Glad you shared it, gives a little more insight.

Is there a website for these cable cars? I'll probably get a muni pass for the first few days as well. Also reserved a table at the Equinox for Saturday night.

Still trying to find a good BB near the Silverado Winery, any ideas?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:14 pm

CityScape Restaurant - Top of the Hilton Hotel (46th floor)

try the 46th floor of the Hilton hotel on O'Farrell, the view is amazing!
let me know if I can help, I work there.

Steve

Originally Posted by flyfarfar
Hello,

I am new to this forum, however feel it will be a great location for this thread.

I am planning a great trip to San Francisco from the midwest, and have never been there before. In late July I plan to propose to my girlfriend and would like to do it in San Francisco.

Can anyone please speak to preferable locations with scenery in the San Francisco Bay area. Preferably near the downtown area and with a disguise to get there (ie, we'll go here to eat/hangout/check out scenery, not get proposed to).

I appreciate any help you can provide and will certainly share the outcome of the trip.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:15 pm
Original Member

Check out this article I found on the web to see if it gives you any ideas:

http://sanfrancisco.about.com/cs/hot.../romantic4.htm
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I don't know of a website for the cable cars, but your muni pass should be good for them, since the cable cars are actually a part of the public transportation system. I would just do a google search for SF public transportation.

Mike
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold
Here are a couple of Web sites about cable cars:

http://www.sfmuni.com/cms/mms/aboutmun/cablecar.htm

http://www.sfcablecar.com
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:03 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Closing this out. She said yes. But I would strongly suggest a few places over others when proposing in SFO.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
could you be more specific????

Originally Posted by The Weekly Flyer
Closing this out. She said yes. But I would strongly suggest a few places over others when proposing in SFO.
Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001
-- Vista Point across the Golden Gate Bridge (Marin County, looking back at The City)
-- Fort Point at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge on the SF side

Good luck!
I'd second these two.

Edit: Holy sh!t this thread is old...I've gotta pay more attention before I reply.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:12 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by slack455
I'd second these two.

Edit: Holy sh!t this thread is old...I've gotta pay more attention before I reply.
Are you saying I'm old

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.