Reload this Page >

Proposal Location in San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal Location in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2005, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Flyfarfar--

Regarding your questions:

2) Vista Point: Simply drive across the GGB toward Marin County. The Vista Point is immedately after your finish crossing the bridge; exit to your right. You will exit the Vista Point going in the same direction ("north"). Take the first exit (Sausalito), loop under the freeway, and you are headed back into SF. (However, you might want to consider turning right instead of left, and visiting the town of Sausalito ... neat place!)

3) I agree. The Hilton is the closest to the W. I would chose it, but then I'm a HHonors Diamond. The "Top of the Mark" (Mark Hopkins) has a bit more of a classy reputation. Have never eaten at the Carnelain Room, but have heard many folks rave about the view.

4) The top of Coit Tower is basically an observation platform ... with an OUTSTANDING view. My "Streets & Trips" programs says it is 1.7 miles from the W. Frequently VERY difficult finding parking at the Tower.

For what you will spend on a rental car and parking at the W, I would seriously consider taking taxis or limos for most of your adventures within SF proper. Parking is VERY, VERY difficult almost anywhere in the City. For going across the GGB (into Marin County), your own car might be better.

...And I should have said it the first time: Welcome to FT!!!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:22 pm

Programs: 1K
Flyfarfar - don't forget to read the responses to the same post on Travelbuzz:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441326

There are some good suggestions there too.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
ms. jmd001 recommends of the area around the Palace of the Legion of Honor as the right place. (Beats the heck out of the Garden City Card Club in San Jose where I bumbled my way through my proposal to her ... close to a quarter of a century ago.)

(Note: The "Palace of the Legion of Honor" and the "Place of Fine Arts" are different places. Both definitely have their merits.)
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
I think the Alcatraz idea was a joke, maybe I'm wrong but on this but it's not romantic at all. Some of the grounds are scenic, but the backdrop is what it is.

Top of a hotel sounds nice. I liked all the suggestions except the Carnelian room where the food is pretty sub-par IMO. I'd think you'd want the proposal paired with a really top-notch restaurant and I've always thought the carnelian room was more of an expensive tourist trap.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 7:36 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Could someone do a comparison of the Top of the Mark and the Hotel (name?) at the Hilton?

I hear the Top of the Mark is a bit pretentious, but have made reservations their for the view. Would change if Hilton has a good restuarant.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
If you go with the Vista Point idea, have a backup plan and keep an eye on the weather -- the fog in particular. It could be foggy there all day. More likely is fog in the morning burning off at around 10-11 am. Then, it typically rolls back in around 4-5 pm.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
Cliff House

Originally Posted by flyfarfar
Hello,

I am new to this forum, however feel it will be a great location for this thread.

I am planning a great trip to San Francisco from the midwest, and have never been there before. In late July I plan to propose to my girlfriend and would like to do it in San Francisco.

Can anyone please speak to preferable locations with scenery in the San Francisco Bay area. Preferably near the downtown area and with a disguise to get there (ie, we'll go here to eat/hangout/check out scenery, not get proposed to).

I appreciate any help you can provide and will certainly share the outcome of the trip.
I would highly recommend the Cliff House. There are a few restaurants. I would recommend the "Bistro" around sunset (8:15) So I'd go for a 7:00 reservation...tell the restaurant of your plan and request a table with an ocean view.
http://www.cliffhouse.com/
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had lunch at the Top of the Mark a few months ago, it's turned into a restaurant which didn't seem that special to me.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:08 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Originally Posted by rbedgood
I would highly recommend the Cliff House. There are a few restaurants. I would recommend the "Bistro" around sunset (8:15) So I'd go for a 7:00 reservation...tell the restaurant of your plan and request a table with an ocean view.
http://www.cliffhouse.com/
Checked it out. Looks ok, but doesn't seem to take reservations. Any other suggestions? Is the Bistro a place where you can enjoy over a bottle or two of wine? Would like to dine if possible.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by rehabusrab

Actually a favorite of mine and the spot I chose was under the dome at the Palace of Fine Arts.
I passed by a proposal here the other day in which this guy had talked a friend into setting up a whole bunch of candles in the area. I'm not sure how legal it was but hey, it looked pretty cool.

-g
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
Cliff House Bistro

Originally Posted by flyfarfar
Checked it out. Looks ok, but doesn't seem to take reservations. Any other suggestions? Is the Bistro a place where you can enjoy over a bottle or two of wine? Would like to dine if possible.
Definitely they have a good wine selection, and the views are stunning. Other suggestions would be

1)Treasure Island (West side has a great view of the SF lights at night)
2)Equinox @ the Hyatt Regency
3)Hornblower Dinner Cruise (I think only Blue & White fleet was mentioned earlier)
4)Theatre/Symphony (Cyrano is playing at the Ashby Stage, Le Mis @ the Curran Theater, SF Symphony website is SF Symphony )

Best of luck
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:54 am

Programs: One Pass Gold, Mileage Plus 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
1) I agree that the Palace of Fine Arts is BEAUTIFUL and super romantic. A lot of couples take their engagement photos there. It would be fun to set up a picnic and propose.

2) Angel Island--drive to Tiburon, which is across the bay and have brunch on the pier (I love Guayama's and Sam's). Then take the ferry to Angel Island and take the Sunset Trail (it's a short, easy hike) There are couple spots on the trail that overlooks the bay and is GORGEOUS. Plus, there won't be that many people around.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:13 am

the carnellian room is closer to the w hotel than the hilton, its also way better than the restaurant at the hilton. if you go there be sure and check out the statues on the building on the opposite side of the street. they are only really visible from up there, but they are pretty cool.

a romantic place would be the stairs near twin peaks, they are terraced stairs with gardens and a great view of the financial district and the bridge, very romantic in the late afternoon/early evening and no one goes there.

the marin headlands is also a nice area, you have the golden gate bride and the city in the background.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:10 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Chrissy Field. Two possibilities:

1) Go to the Chrissy Field parking lot. Get out, walk to the jogging/walking path which is directly adjacent (north). The beach area is directly north of the path.

Go to the west for a "walk" towards the Golden Gate Bridge. Keep your eyes focused on the task, there are a lot of good looking Marina-types around. You will see an open area between a group of large evergreen trees on your right (north) as you walk west. To your left (south), there'll be a fenced off pond area. You can see the parking lot, tree area, and pond area on this satellite photo:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=94123&...7918&t=k&hl=en

If I recall, there's a bench between the trees. Perfect spot: you've got the GG bridge, Bay, Marin, boats, etc. all in view.

2) Walk all the way to the end of the same path. There's a picnic area and also a fishing pier. If there are not too many fisherman out there to kill the mood, take a walk out onto the pier....:

Yup. The Palace of Fine Arts is also a possibility, but there are a large number of folks taking wedding photos on a daily basis, which may give away your game.

Also, the open park area of Fort Mason has a 360 degree view of the city. Not a bad spot either.

The surrounding area has a bunch of restaurants, cafes, shopping, etc. Just say you want to check out the 'hood as your excuse to head out there.

^ ^
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:17 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA GOLD, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Don't do it at night outside in July

As it is very cold and foggy at night in San Francisco in July, I do not recommend doing the proposal outside at night. For the next 50 years you may end up talking about how cold it was when you proposed rather than how wonderful and romantic it was. The lookout from the bridge is the first exit off of the bridge when you are on the other side. It is quite beautiful in the day. Another suggestion is right below that at the Childrens Discovery Museum. I don't remember exactly how to get there, but I am sure you can do a Google search for their site and will be able to get directions from there. I do remember that it is pretty easy to get to. It has the same view of the city, as the vantage point, but with the bridge above and to your right. I attended a wedding there a few years ago and it was quite beautiful. If you insist on doing it outside at night remember to bring a wrap or blanket to give to your fiance, she will always remember your thoughtfulness and chilvary. Congratulations and good luck. I second the Coit Tower recomandation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.