? about Taxi fares

Old Oct 25, 04, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
? about Taxi fares

Could anyone give me an approximate cost for taking a taxi from SFO to a site near the Oakland airport? I have never used BART, and am traveling alone, so am a little reluctant to try it this time. However, if a taxi will cost $100.00, I will suddenly get a lot braver
Thanks for any help.

Kate
Old Oct 25, 04, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Although I can't give you amount taxi's from SFO are quite expensive as they add a surcharge (I think 50%) to an already high fare. I'm sure someone will post with the exact amount.

Something between taxi and BART might be one of the shuttles (vans that leave about every 20-30 minutes and take you directly to your destination), again I'm not sure of the fare but you might be able to find it by doing a google search (or check supershuttle.com - I'm not sure they do this route though). Hope that's some help.
Old Oct 25, 04, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I don't believe there will be a surcharge (other than $3 Bay Bridge toll for the cab's return), but it's plenty expensive. My guess is $55-70 w/tip and toll.
Old Oct 25, 04, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
estnet, dhuey,
that is indeed the information I needed - thanks so much! Looks like I will BART to OAK then take a taxi to the meeting site. Thank you both!
Kate
Old Oct 26, 04, 2:50 am

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Good luck!

For future reference you might be interested in www.flysfo.com which gives a lot of info. Sadly there is, in fact, a 50% surcharge for taxi fares 15 miles or more from sfo, as well as a $2 surcharge (I guess for leaving the airport ). I was quite shocked at the taxi fare the one time I had to take one to my home due to a delayed flight and no shuttles.
Old Oct 26, 04, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by estnet
...Sadly there is, in fact, a 50% surcharge for taxi fares 15 miles or more from sfo, as well as a $2 surcharge (I guess for leaving the airport ). I was quite shocked at the taxi fare the one time I had to take one to my home due to a delayed flight and no shuttles.
estnet, it's 15 miles or more from SFO or San Francisco proper. I have never paid a surcharge from SFO to my home in Berkeley.

From flysfo.com:

From SFO : East Bay
Taxis

Approximate fares to East Bay cities:
Oakland- $65
Oakland Airport- $82
Richmond- $76
Union City- $99
Fremont- $110
Dublin- $125
Concord- $157
Livermore- $159
Martinez- $176
Napa- $209
Tracy- $225
Travis Air Force Base- $229
Modesto- $327
Calistoga- $314
Sacramento- $345

Metered rates apply to all destinations. Destinations either 15 miles beyond the limits of the City and County of San Francisco or 15 miles beyond the boundaries of San Francisco International Airport are charged at 150% of the metered rate. A $2.00 exit surcharge is included in all San Francisco taxicab meter fares for rides originating from San Francisco International Airport. By sharing a ride, up to 5 persons can ride for the price of 1 person.

Taxi drivers are required by Airport regulation to accept fares to all Bay Area destinations.
Old Oct 26, 04, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by kykate
I have never used BART, and am traveling alone, so am a little reluctant to try it this time. However, if a taxi will cost $100.00, I will suddenly get a lot braver
I understand your reluctance since you are traveling alone, but BART is really pretty safe and easy to navigate. It will certainly be cheaper than a taxi or shuttle. Take a look here [http://www.bart.gov/stations/tripPla...ipPlanner.asp] and plan your trip. You'll get exact times and fare information [SFO to OAK: $5.65 one-way]. It seems the entire trip will take about 55 minutes. You will have to transfer trains but the wait seems to be only for 4 minutes and the trip planner tells you which station to get off. Give it a try. You'll be okay.
Old Oct 26, 04, 8:36 pm

Kate, where is this site near the Oakland airport? The BART airport shuttle will take you from the Airport stop right to the terminal.
Old Feb 16, 05, 12:28 am

Programs: Newbie in everything =p
The ground transfer that was arranged for me is $125 total from the Oakland Airport to the MH.
Old Apr 28, 06, 4:49 pm

Rent a car from Alamo it's cheaper go to costco's website and use thier corp code

Originally Posted by kykate
Could anyone give me an approximate cost for taking a taxi from SFO to a site near the Oakland airport? I have never used BART, and am traveling alone, so am a little reluctant to try it this time. However, if a taxi will cost $100.00, I will suddenly get a lot braver
Thanks for any help.

Kate
Old May 7, 06, 7:34 pm

I just took a shuttle direct from OAK to SFO for $45.
Old May 11, 06, 1:02 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
As of 3/19/2006:
  • BART fare between the San Francisco International Airport and the Coliseum station is $5.80.
  • You will not need to change trains. Nonstop travel time is 51 minutes.
  • If your final destination is OAK, you have two choices: (1) AirBART shuttle (2) AC Transit Bus 50. Whichever you pick, figure in half an hour.
AirBART provides nonstop service between the Coliseum BART station and Oakland International Airport. This is your best choice if you are traveling with checked baggage, or if you are unfamiliar with the area. The cost is $2 (50 for children 11 and under, or seniors/disabled with ID). Traveling toward the airport, adults purchase a new $2 BART ticket -or- redeem one with $2 value remaining. Discount fares must be paid in cash onboard (exact change only). Travel time to the airport is approximately 12 minutes. The shuttle makes two stops: Terminal 1 (all carriers except Southwest), Terminal 2 (Southwest). When boarding at the airport, all passengers pay fares onboard (exact change only).

AC Transit Line 50 provides local service along Hegenberger Rd. Travel time to the airport is approximately 15 minutes. Traveling toward the airport: upon arrival at the Coliseum BART station, before exiting through the faregates, look for a BART-to-BUS transfer machine. Press the big green button, and it will issue a two-part discount coupon. Hand the entire coupon to the driver, deposit $1.50 (exact change only) in the fare box, and the unused half will be returned to you, valid for 72 hours. Without a coupon, the fare is $1.75 (85 for youth 5-17, seniors, and the disabled). The bus only makes one stop at OAK, between Terminals 1 and 2.

In both directions, you have a 50% chance of boarding the wrong bus. From Coliseum BART to the airport, the destination sign should read "Fruitvale BART." From the airport to Coliseum BART, the destination sign should read "Bay Fair BART." To avoid any unpleasant surprises, always check with the driver before paying your fare.

If you are traveling between midnight and 5 a.m., see AC Transit Line 805.
Old May 11, 06, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by EPS
...If you are traveling between midnight and 5 a.m., see AC Transit Line 805.
If you are hanging out at the OAK BART station between midnight and 5 am, this might be one of the very few times it would make sense to buy travel life insurance from one of those coin-op machines. Just make sure it covers drug trade crossfire outside of subway stations.
Old May 13, 06, 2:42 am
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
dhuey: I realize you probably meant that as a joke, but I'm going to respond seriously. First of all, BART doesn't run 24 hours a day, so if you're taking the 805 bus, you're probably not going to be "hanging out" at the Coliseum station anyway. Second, that's not the "dangerous" one--you're confusing it with Fruitvale.
Old May 13, 06, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by EPS
dhuey: I realize you probably meant that as a joke, but I'm going to respond seriously. First of all, BART doesn't run 24 hours a day, so if you're taking the 805 bus, you're probably not going to be "hanging out" at the Coliseum station anyway. Second, that's not the "dangerous" one--you're confusing it with Fruitvale.
I don't know about Fruitvale, but I'd be very nervous if I were outside of the OAK BART station in the wee hours.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: