Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in Napa Valley

Old Mar 6, 04, 10:12 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador

from the CIA @ Greystone website
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Greystone’s terraced gardens of herbs, vegetables, and flowers provide the perfect introduction to the vibrant colors, enticing aromas, and bustling activity of the Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant. Local, seasonal ingredients are the inspiration for the cuisine, which features California’s bounty from the land and sea.

Begin your wine country experience on the terrace, with views across the Napa Valley vineyards, or in front of a roaring fire in the lounge. The beverage menu offers unique tasting flights as well as our chefs’ favorite wines by the glass or bottle. You’ll also enjoy traditional and creative seasonal cocktails and northern California microbrews on tap.

The dazzling restaurant space, created by noted designer Adam Tihany, offers a view of the chefs at work from every hand-crafted table. We invite you to relax and settle into your meal with Today's Temptations, which is an array of delicious "small" bites to be shared by all at the table. Our chef's calls them temptations because they are inspired by the culinary artisans, farmers and foragers who bring their tempting products to the kitchen door everyday. Enjoy the variety of flavors with a glass of sparkling Querenica Brut Rose, a Greystone exclusive. Then, perhaps, sample one of our first-course soups, salads, or pastas. What better place to experience the mingling of food, wine, and friends than the Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant, in the very heart of California’s wine country.

Hours of Operation
Sunday – Thursday 11:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Friday & Saturday 11:30a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
</font>
http://www.ciachef.edu/greystone/

Anyone dine here?
Old Mar 6, 04, 10:25 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
March 24, 2004: The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone hosts "Russian River Unplugged," a private tasting and lecture by nine esteemed winemakers from this region followed by a special dinner, served in the historic Millstone Barrel Room, with the producers' wines ($125; 707-967-2371 ext. 2).
Old Mar 13, 04, 6:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
I've not ate at the restaurant, but I usually drop by when I'm in the area and pick up goodies from their bakery. They're a bargain and everything I've had has been very good.

They also have a nice little cooking shop and cooking demonstrations that you can sign up and attend. I've done one of those.
Old Mar 16, 04, 1:33 pm

I have eaten lunch there twice and really enjoyed it. We had the tasting menu and had a flight of red and a flight of white . Great fun and highly recommend it.

Old Mar 24, 04, 2:54 pm

I went there for cooking school and had one meal at the wine spectator restaurant. It's not as refined as the other surrounding napa valley haunts, but the food is still well done and at time very unique and interesting. It's probably one of the better bargains, although I didn't have to pay for half my stuff since I was at the school.
Old Apr 6, 04, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I had lunch there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, although there were a few rough spots. I do think there are a number of better restaurants in the area.
Old Apr 10, 04, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH, HH
I have eaten there several times for lunch and dinner over the last 5 years and was always very happy with both service and food.
I have also attended some of the tours including cooking shows.
The shop is well stocked with "the usual expensive gadgets" - think Sur la Table and up...

Compared to the CIA in Hyde Park, NY, this is continued education, so the students (cooks and waitstaff) already know what they are doing.

I'd recommend reservations for the restaurant but they also have seats at the bar overlooking the kitchen and these are first come first served.

And lastly the building is spectacular. That alone is worth a stop.

Cheers, Helmut
Old Apr 11, 04, 9:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
The CIA restaurant is certainly worth a visit for lunch or dinner. The building used to the Christian Brother's winery. It's interesting to wander around inside and look at all the wine memorabilia. Skip buying anything in the cookware store since it's not cheaper than your average specialty store.

TF
Old Apr 14, 04, 11:52 am

Just to second (or 17th) what everyone has been saying. I ate there for dinner a year or so ago. Good value, although not quite as refined in terms of decor and presentation as some other restaurants the food is top notch. We enjoyed ourselves immensely.
Old Apr 19, 04, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1P, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles
Thumbs up Great place to go

One of my neighbors just visited this place for lunch two weeks ago and is still raving about it. He travels the world, so I take that as a thumbs up.
Old Apr 19, 04, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
It's pretty good - had the best butternut squash soup of my life there. Still I am passionate about Mustard's Grill and Tra Vigne so would only go there after I hit #1 and #2 on my list.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: