Weekend Parking @ BART

Old Aug 7, 03, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Weekend Parking @ BART

I was reading on BART's website that you are allowed to park for > 24 hours on weekends and holidays which fall on Friday or Monday.

I'm planning a trip to SF over Labor Day weekend: flying into LA, and driving up to the Bay Area from there.

A couple of questions:

1) Of the stations that allow weekend/holiday parking, Daly City seems the most convenient. Is it safe to park a vehicle there for several days?

2) When does this overnight parking begin? Would we be able to park Friday evening through Monday morning? Or does this not start until Saturday?

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

Greg
Old May 2, 06, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Resurrecting a really old thread..

Does anyone know how the weekend extension for the 24 hour limit is actually enforced? I just found this out, and it will save me a lot of money on my weekend trips out of SFO, but then up till now I've usually flown back from NY early Monday morning.

The Bart page states that the weekend parking is from Friday morning to Monday 2AM. Does this mean I will get a $100 ticket even if I park Friday afternoon and drive away Monday morning, say a little after 10AM? If you don't count the weekend, it's less than 24 hours, right?

The wording doesn't sound encouraging, but you never know.
Old May 2, 06, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It probably depends on the station. If you have one with reserved/paid parking, and with the parking machines where you have to register your space number on weekdays, I think you'd be more likely to have a problem on the Monday morning. I regularly have left my car @ El Cerrito Plaza or North Berkeley over Saturday nights w/o issue.
Old May 2, 06, 3:00 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Here's the current from Bart's web page on parking:

"***All stations offer Extended Weekend parking which allows BART riders to park their vehicle from the start of train service on Friday to 2:00 am Monday. BART riders at stations where there is a daily fee requirement (currently Daly City and Colma Stations) must pay the daily fee for Friday. Should a designated holiday (see below) fall on a Friday patrons are allowed to park from the start of train service on Thursday until 2:00 am Monday. Should one of the designated holidays fall on a Monday patrons are allowed to park from the start of train service on Friday until 2:00 am Tuesday."

I've found the Millbrae and Colma stations safe but would have some qualms about Daly City.
Old May 2, 06, 4:29 pm

Thank you for the replies.

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
I've found the Millbrae and Colma stations safe but would have some qualms about Daly City.
When you say safe, are you talking in terms of security, or in terms of not getting a ticket? I live in the Southern part of the Peninsula, so I will be parking at Millbrae if I can avoid a ticket by pulling out during the morning on Monday. Seems like daily parking is now free at that location, so parking enforcement would only be looking for 24 hour violations, I guess.
Old May 2, 06, 11:35 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I was referring to safety of vehicle and persons. Have no impression of how diligent BART police is to parking enforcement. I do know that Millbrae, San Bruno and S. SF stations offer free parking during a weekday and free on the weekends as per the website.
Old May 2, 06, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I haven't worked for BART Police for 15 years, but back in those days they sent out a fleet of cadets at 6-8 in the morning whose sole job was to write parking tickets. They had a pretty vigorous parking enforcement program, including towing of cars without current registration, or with outstanding parking tickets.
Old May 3, 06, 3:20 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I used to leave my car in the Pleasanton (Dublin side) BART station lot for several days mid-week without any trouble. That was a couple years back.
Old May 7, 06, 8:32 pm

Yeah, you probably don't want to park there overnight. There have been a lot of reports of gas siphoning this past week alone.
Old May 16, 06, 6:39 pm

Update:

I parked at the Millbrae Bart station Saturday morning and retrieved my car mid-day on Monday. No problems.

Next time I am parking on Friday and pulling out Monday morning, and hopefully that will be OK too.

If I had known this earlier this year, I would have saved a lot of $$ in airport parking when time was tight, and a lot of time when I was trying to use the free parking at the Atherton Caltrain station.
But I guess better late than never!
Old May 24, 06, 12:52 am

Update 2:

Parked on Friday and pulled out on Monday. Originally set to pull out in the morning, but ended up pulling out at night and didn't get a ticket.
Not sure though whether I was lucky or whether they are not enforcing parking.
Old Feb 12, 07, 6:24 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by paulwlee View Post
Update 2:

Parked on Friday and pulled out on Monday. Originally set to pull out in the morning, but ended up pulling out at night and didn't get a ticket.
Not sure though whether I was lucky or whether they are not enforcing parking.
Any recent updates on whether BART is issuing parking tickets for this?

Specifically, I'd like to park at Millbrae station during the day Friday and leave Monday evening. The BART site says weekend parking is free only until 2 AM Monday, which would mean my plan is against the rules. However, considering that (1) Millbrae allows free daily parking, and (2) I won't be parked more than 24 hours after the weekend ends, I figure this plan should be safe. Any recent experiences?
Old Feb 13, 07, 12:05 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
I seriously doubt BART police will be out until 6 AM.... you should be fine.
Old Feb 13, 07, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
I seriously doubt BART police will be out until 6 AM.... you should be fine.
If Bart police are out at 6:00 a.m. on Monday, this would mean a ticket. The question is whether Bart police are actually striping tires on Friday or over the weekend.
Old Jun 27, 07, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold
any recent experiences with Millbrae BART Parking?

Wondering if any FTers have recently done an extended weekend parking at the millbrae bart parking lot w/o getting a ticket? Anyone done a Friday morning to Monday evening parking stint? Anyone seen BART metermaids at all? Thanks for the replies in advance

Search this Thread
Search Engine: