Weekend Parking @ BART

Old Jun 28, 08, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Pat89339 View Post
I realize that. My comment was that it was almost too tight. If I had not been standing at the door when my train stopped and rushed to the other train, I would have missed the connection. As it was I barely made it across the platform in time. If my train had been delayed 10 seconds or if there were people in front of me at the door, I would have missed the connecting train.
They'd hold the train if it was going to be within a minute or two. The same thing happens at MacArthur with timed connections. Often, I've had to wait a couple of minutes on a train that is waiting for another. Unless there is a real train delay, the timed connections work well. Also, the 'driver' is usually looking out the window to see if people are walking to the train.
Old Jun 29, 08, 3:20 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Eastbay1k that's good to know, although the "driver" wouldn't have been able to see me until I was close to the door because of the escalators. The doors did close immediately after I got on.

I mention this because not everyone taking the BART connection is able to stand until the train comes to a complete stop or able to dash across to the other side of the platform. If your mobility is limited these are important issues.
Old Jun 29, 08, 5:04 am

Programs: AA MM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pat89339 View Post
I mention this because not everyone taking the BART connection is able to stand until the train comes to a complete stop or able to dash across to the other side of the platform. If your mobility is limited these are important issues.
One thing I've experienced is that even though the officially timed connection sometimes requires a layover of 14 minutes , the downtown-to-Millbrae/SFO train is often running a minute or two behind schedule, which means that I can catch it instead of waiting for the timed connection. But as you've noticed, you've got to be ready to move!

I guess my point is that you might have actually been "lucky" to have caught a train earlier than the timetable officially provides for.

One piece of advice: Be sure to check the overhead displays to confirm your destination. Once after arriving at San Bruno from SFO, I sprinted across the platform and made the connection with seconds to spare, only to have it transport me back to SFO. Doh!
Old Nov 19, 08, 1:09 am

Planning a trip for Thanksgiving out of SFO - came across this older discussion on parking at Millbrae. I'd like to figure out how long should the long-term permit be for: leaving Tuesday, Nov. 25 in the morning and returning Mon, Dec. 1, at 10 pm. The way I am reading the rules I should be OK with just paying for Tue and Wed? Thanksgiving is a holiday so parking is free, Fri-Sun should be weekend parking, and Mon I am relying on free 24 hr parking... Any objections or other days I should purchase the permit for? What are the recent experiences of parking at Millbrae over several days? Help appreciated.
Old Nov 21, 08, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nyurka View Post
Planning a trip for Thanksgiving out of SFO - came across this older discussion on parking at Millbrae. I'd like to figure out how long should the long-term permit be for: leaving Tuesday, Nov. 25 in the morning and returning Mon, Dec. 1, at 10 pm. The way I am reading the rules I should be OK with just paying for Tue and Wed? Thanksgiving is a holiday so parking is free, Fri-Sun should be weekend parking, and Mon I am relying on free 24 hr parking... Any objections or other days I should purchase the permit for? What are the recent experiences of parking at Millbrae over several days? Help appreciated.

I just called Bart and asked about parking on Fri 11/28 and I was told it's not free. My station is Dublin but I think it also applies to Millbrae.
Old Nov 21, 08, 5:41 pm

Planning a trip for Thanksgiving out of SFO - came across this older discussion on parking at Millbrae. I'd like to figure out how long should the long-term permit be for: leaving Tuesday, Nov. 25 in the morning and returning Mon, Dec. 1, at 10 pm.
Here's the official quote:
Parking rules in effect the day after Thanksgiving
BART considers Friday, November 28 a normal weekday and BART Police will enforce all parking regulations. Vehicles parked over the four day weekend without an Airport/Long Term permit will be subject to the $100 fine. The additional Airport/Long Term spaces will be available from Wednesday, November 26 through Monday, December 1.
I suppose you could buy a separate permit for Friday, but I would just probably buy a single permit covering Wednesday through Friday. You won't need one for the preceding Tuesday and the following Monday unless you want to park in the spaces restricted to early morning commuters.
Old Nov 21, 08, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with Mikew99, you'll need one for Wednesday and another for Friday. You can buy two different ones and put them both in the windshield, someone on this thread has done that.
Old Nov 23, 08, 3:33 pm

Thank you for replies and posting official BART rules regarding Friday after Thanksgiving parking. I will definitely have a pass for Wed and Fri. However, I think I should also get one for Tuesday, as it seems to me that the 24 hr parking rule will not work in my favor if I use it both Tuesday and the following Monday for 24 hr parking in a single stay.
Old Nov 25, 08, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
During a normal week, you can essentially park Thursday-Monday for free since it is free parking Friday-Sunday and you can arrive on Thursday since you get 24 hours and through Monday with the same 24 hour rule. I have used the online to pay for Tues and Wed through the weekend stays and didn't get ticket at Millbrae. I think its great.
Old Dec 14, 08, 10:45 pm

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to park at Caltrain station for 2 weeks straight by paying monthly parking ($20, they sell it together with a monthly pass or 2 10-ride tickets)? I frequently use Caltrain so it would definitely be worth it for me to do this and park at the station during a trip abroad.

Also, there is currently one station, Belmont, where parking is free. Anyone had luck using it for extended parking?

Thanks

Last edited by Nyurka; Dec 15, 08 at 11:51 am
Old Dec 14, 08, 11:43 pm

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to park at Caltrain station for 2 weeks straight by paying monthly parking ($20, they sell it together with a monthly pass or 2 10-ride tickets)? I frequently use Caltrain so it would definitely be worth it for me to do this and park at the station during a trip abroad.
Back when I used Caltrain and purchased a monthly parking pass, I often parked at Caltrain stations for the occasional weekend trip. But for longer trips I always used the secure off-airport lots for safety (for my car, not so much for my own).

I think Millbrae is pretty safe, but it's not secured parking, so I still worry about my car on longer trips....
Old Dec 17, 08, 6:24 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Anyone know of any good places to park "in the neighborhoods" around SFO that would be accessible at a late hour? I may be coming in late on a flight, after BART closes, and would like to avoid paying fees for parking.
Old Dec 17, 08, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Anyone know of any good places to park "in the neighborhoods" around SFO that would be accessible at a late hour? I may be coming in late on a flight, after BART closes, and would like to avoid paying fees for parking.
I wish! I've been tempted to use the "Millbrae Hotels" shuttle that serves the Travelodge and other hotels near BART, but I haven't the nerve, so my late inbound flights result in a $10 taxi ride and a ticked-off cab driver.
Old Dec 18, 08, 1:19 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Another option is to park in South City close to 101 (on the street) and walk across 101 to Airtrain (about 10 mins). That runs 24 hours. My only question is how safe would it be to park, say, here

On the other hand, parking in Millbrae will mean a closer walk, but also a BART ride. BART's last Millbrae train leaves at 01:15 from SFO.
Old Dec 22, 08, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Another option is to park in South City close to 101 (on the street) and walk across 101 to Airtrain (about 10 mins). That runs 24 hours. My only question is how safe would it be to park, say, here
It's not a great area. I would rather not walk around after midnight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: