FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Hotels closest to Stanford University? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/302220-hotels-closest-stanford-university.html)

youngflya Jan 8, 2003 10:51 pm

Hotels closest to Stanford University?

I have points with Marriott, Hilton and Starwood that I would like to use them for an upcoming visit to Stanford. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to stay? Proximity to Stanford and convenience to area attractions is the biggest priority, second is quality of property.

Thanks a bunch!

RichardInSF Jan 8, 2003 11:04 pm

There are a Sheraton and a Westin right next to each other that are the closest hotels to Stanford (if you don't count getting a room in the faculty club!).

Still mostly too far to walk to campus, but there is a regular free shuttle run by Stanford during the day from the Caltrain station a block away. Both are also walking distance from downtown Palo Alto. Make sure you don't get a room facing the RR tracks, unless you like being awakened by trains starting at 5am.

The nearest Marriott is a brand new Residence Inn about 3 miles South on El Camino, and there is also a Courtyard that is either open or almost done.

Nearest Hilton is a Garden Inn about 5 miles south of the Residence Inn in Mountain View.
All of these hotels are on El Camino Real (that's the name of the street).

siliconengineer Jan 9, 2003 2:36 pm

RichardInSF has covered the closest hotels. Now convenience to area attractions are relative, depending on what you consider attractive and convenient. San Francisco is some 30 miles north of Stanford and you can take Caltrain there. South Bay/Silicon Valley 'attractions' are closer.

ajnaro Jan 9, 2003 5:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardInSF:
There are a Sheraton and a Westin right next to each other that are the closest hotels to Stanford distance from downtown Palo Alto. </font>

The Sheraton offers breakfast and cocktails to platinum members, whereas the Westin offers nothing at all. The pool at the Sheraton is bigger and generally more pleasant. Finally, although the Sheraton and the Westin are next to each other, the Sheraton is a block closer to the Margarite (Stanford shuttle) and CalTrain.

jr HNL Jan 12, 2003 2:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajnaro:

The Sheraton offers breakfast and cocktails to platinum members, whereas the Westin offers nothing at all. The pool at the Sheraton is bigger and generally more pleasant. Finally, although the Sheraton and the Westin are next to each other, the Sheraton is a block closer to the Margarite (Stanford shuttle) and CalTrain.
</font>
The pool at the Sheraton was closed for repairs when I stayed there last night. It looks like it may be closed for a while. The rooms are being renovated as well, but the hotel is open. The new rooms are a huge improvement, but it's still not as nice as the Westin.

The Sheraton is definitely the most convenient if you plan to take the Marguerite shuttle to get to campus, and it's also just a short walk to downtown Palo Alto.

Here's where to find maps of the Marguerite Shuttle:
http://transportation.stanford.edu/m...riteMaps.shtml

Also, you might find helpful this list of nearby hotels:
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/hds/chs/general/hotel.html

birdstrike Jan 12, 2003 6:03 pm

Note: CalTrain is not running on weekends for the next 1+ years. Upgrade work.

birdstrike

b1513 Sep 23, 2009 4:51 pm

I have an appointment in Menlo Park. I will be there an additional 3 days. I would like to stay at a Marriott or Hilton, possibly using points. What would be my best option? The reviews of both brands, in this area, are very old.

Bobette

RichardInSF Sep 24, 2009 12:32 pm

There's a Hilton in Santa Clara and a Hilton Garden Inn in Mountain View. There is a Courtyard in Palo Alto (may be listed as Los Altos). There are also several Residence Inns in the vicinity. I would guess all of these are pretty much bog-standard representatives of their respective brands. You will want a rental car at any of these.

stevenshev Sep 24, 2009 12:36 pm

Forget the points, stay at the Four Seasons. If that fails, the Westin.

RichardInSF Sep 25, 2009 10:57 am

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 12432144)

I would also consider the Garden Court in downtown Palo Alto. Location, location, location -- especially for restaurant choices.

b1513 Sep 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 12432144)

Did just that. I made reservations at the Westin.

Bobette

b1513 Sep 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 12437281)
I would also consider the Garden Court in downtown Palo Alto. Location, location, location -- especially for restaurant choices.

That looks like a pretty nice property. It is solidly booked.

Bobette