Reload this Page >

Delta to discontinue OAK-LAX service

Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

Sorry to report that it appears Delta will stop serving the OAK-LAX route sometime at the end of April. I believe this will leave Southwest all alone on this route, save for a couple of Spirit flights per day.

It's been so nice to get my mother-in-law upgrades on the Delta flights. I can usually get her the solo seat in the 1-2 seating in First. Oh well.

I'm okay with Southwest and Spirit for the short flights like this, but it was nice to have a legacy option. We're getting close to no service at all at OAK from the big three. United and American are gone completely, and it's getting down to just ATL and SLC for Delta.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Yes, very disappointing, as it is nice to have one-hop service from OAK via LAX with luggage checked through as necessary, to get pretty much anywhere. UA used to get me "one stop to the world" from OAK. Even AS is a shadow of its former OAK self. T1 is mostly WN these days, too. I've taken WN to get to a connecting flight @ LAX and one has to cushion at least a couple of extra hours, with absolutely no IROPS protection.
econ and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:26 am
Original Poster

My mother-in-law said the flights have always been full or close to full. I wonder why they're dropping this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:52 am

Like ATL, this has come and gone and come and gone in the past. I'm sure it will be back again, and then gone again, and on and on.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
My mother-in-law said the flights have always been full or close to full. I wonder why they're dropping this.
Even if it isn't losing money as a full flight, the aircraft likely has a higher and better use. I also would not be surprised if many of the passengers are connecting, with fare pricing that causes this segment to be free, or close to it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Southwest is driving everyone out of OAK, as it has done at ONT and other secondary airports. This is a pity as there are far fewer ATC delays at these airports.

On the plus side AS announced new flights from STS so WN is not the only one that sees gold in the burbs.

Also to note: B6 announced that it is eliminating the SFO-LAX flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It could be as much due to LAX returning to its pre-apocalypse nightmare state.

There are enough other airports in LA that unless your origin or destination is close to LAX, it's way easier and faster to fly out of BUR/ONT/SNA/LGB, so LAX isn't really serving the whole basin and the flights get distributed among the secondary airports.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:37 am

Aw dangit, I have OAK LAX AUS LAX OAK currently booked the first week of May. I suppose they'll rebook me through SLC when they get around to cancelling my feeder flight. Maybe I should upgrade the short legs for cheap just to see what happens?

Edit: TPG article said this flight gets the axe May 7th: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-cuts-los-angeles-domestic-routes/

Last edited by gobaers; Mar 26, 2024 at 12:46 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobaers
Edit: TPG article said this flight gets the axe May 7th: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...mestic-routes/
Thanks for that. I didn't realize the Delta route to ATL is new, starting in June. I guess that's a small bit of good news. That opens up some east coast and international itinerary possibilities starting and ending in OAK.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:48 pm

So I really debated on creating a new thread for this, or not,, but since we are here....

Oakland Airport has been seeking ways to boost its profile among travelers, and on Friday the Port of Oakland announced that it was considering a name change to incorporate "San Francisco" into the name. And officials at SFO are not having it.
https://sfist.com/2024/04/01/sfo-off...kland-airport/

"We consistently hear from local travelers in our community about their desire for more direct flights to a wider variety of domestic and global destinations out of Oakland," Leslie said. "To make this happen, we must improve the geographic awareness among inbound travelers to the region.
Yeah, I don't think that tracks.... "local travelers in our community " already know where Oakland is... the problem is there are no flights anymore....

No non-stops to NYC, BOS (thanks Jet Blue), Nothing to DTW (thanks Spirit), only 2x to Chicago on WN, 1 to DC, there is just... nothing... Its all WN flights in the west.... which is fine... except for the second problem... WN got expensive. UA and the others are consistently the same price, or better with non-stops from SFO. Plus all the other flights that were there that drove business are gone, Norwegian and the BA flight to compete against it for example.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...e-19379664.php

​​​​​​​In a statement, the port’s interim Director of Aviation Craig Simon said Oakland’s airport has lost 39 of the 54 routes it has added since July 2008 and placed the blame on travelers living outside the region who don’t realize Oakland is on the San Francisco Bay
Yeah…it has nothing to do with Jet Blue pulling out, Alaska removing service, Spirit moving to SFO. Nothing to do with that at all.
Boraxo, SPN Lifer and econ like this.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Apr 1, 2024 at 7:58 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

SFO and SF city officials not happy. Their language suggests to me potential litigation.

S.F. officials slam plan to change Oakland International Airport’s name

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-19378510.php
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Yeah, I don't think that tracks.... "local travelers in our community " already know where Oakland is... the problem is there are no flights anymore....

No non-stops to NYC, BOS (thanks Jet Blue), Nothing to DTW (thanks Spirit), only 2x to Chicago on WN, 1 to DC, there is just... nothing... Its all WN flights in the west.... which is fine... except for the second problem... WN got expensive. UA and the others are consistently the same price, or better with non-stops from SFO. Plus all the other flights that were there that drove business are gone, Norwegian and the BA flight to compete against it for example.
Exactly. I'm more than willing to fly out of OAK, but it's turned into pretty much all WN there, and my tolerance for flying them is about 500 miles or less, and that's pushing it. I'm certainly not going to pay more to fly with them either.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
WN's success shows that it's entirely possible to fill lots of seats in/out of OAK. What's hard to do is run a profitable station based on one or two flights per day. The end result of that plan is going to be cut the station, which is exactly what we've seen from UA, B6, and AA, and are now seeing from DL, AS, etc.
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Its all WN flights in the west.... which is fine... except for the second problem... WN got expensive. UA and the others are consistently the same price, or better with non-stops from SFO.
WN hasn't been a low cost carrier for a very long time. Though they don't sell into the GDS, they generally match fares with the legacies. For a given flight, WN's fares may be higher or lower than the SFO equivalent on AA, UA, etc., but that's going to be based on demand/inventory for a particular flight. Given the frequency that I see WN higher than AA, UA, etc. for the same destination, it's clear they have plenty of demand for their OAK flights.
squeakr, SPN Lifer and ucdtim17 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
OAK flights save a lot of ground transportation time for anyone living east of the San Francisco Bay.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
OAK flights save a lot of ground transportation time for anyone living east of the San Francisco Bay.
Depends on from where and what time. From/to home. SFO 25 minutes to 2 hours. OAK 20 minutes to 45 minutes. BART to/from SFO is an hour + an Uber or having someone drop me off / pick me up. But all other things being equal, I'd pick OAK most of the time.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.