Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO is WSJ's top airport of 2022

SFO is WSJ's top airport of 2022

Old Nov 21, 22, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
I still can’t see how Sfo wins wsj award.
Which large airport (top 20 by pax volume) in the US is better?
Old Nov 21, 22, 10:50 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
LAX.

Kidding!
SPN Lifer, Kacee and Zorak like this.
Old Nov 21, 22, 4:28 pm

I am not going to Argue “better” or not, but DTW McNamara Terminal is pretty legit. And I love that the train is in the terminal.

Its been a while since I have been in the Evens/North Terminal, but I don’t remember that being bad in any way.
Old Nov 21, 22, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
I am not going to Argue “better” or not, but DTW McNamara Terminal is pretty legit. And I love that the train is in the terminal.

Its been a while since I have been in the Evens/North Terminal, but I don’t remember that being bad in any way.
And how does one get between the terminals? Except for the current construction gap @ SFO T1, the landside loop (indoors) of SFO is about a 20 minute walk, which takes you past every security checkpoint.
Old Nov 21, 22, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
And how does one get between the terminals? Except for the current construction gap @ SFO T1, the landside loop (indoors) of SFO is about a 20 minute walk, which takes you past every security checkpoint.
Exactly. I'm not picking SFO based on pretty terminals but for overall convenience and user friendliness, including ease of getting from one terminal to another. I find SFO unsurpassed among large airports on this point.
Eastbay1K, SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Nov 22, 22, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
this is best airport. Or so it says. Is it best airport in USA award? Of course Sfo is best in USA. I just don’t think it can be best for global. Also majority of Sfo pax are UAL-bound and T1 is still not UAL. A lot of T3 is probably still older than T2 and I think the last T3 construction / renovation partial job was done by 2015.
Old Nov 22, 22, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Omg fetching at Sfo for AA. Now AA is T1 and delta is T2. So whacky. B6 and F9 (southwest?) are still T1. I still haven’t flown B6.
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post

DTW is more user friendly IMO. I can't imagine much need for inter terminal traffic, you're either flying Delta so either O&D or connecting or into North Terminal as O&D.
Old Nov 29, 22, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Exactly. I'm not picking SFO based on pretty terminals but for overall convenience and user friendliness, including ease of getting from one terminal to another. I find SFO unsurpassed among large airports on this point.
Agree, some of the metrics were silly but the conclusions were sound.

Frequent travelers care about speed and food outlets. People like SFO because they can get to the gate fast (esp. with Clear) and there are so many food outlets that you rarely have to wait. Those who care about lounges have many great choices including Priority Pass restaurants, which are a rarity (or crap) in other airports. There are electrical outlets everywhere and plenty of seating except at the international gates. Also I find the faux TSA are not as neurotic about harmless liquids, etc. On the arrival side I can be through GE and customs and at the curb in 5 minutes.

Admittedly I'm a bit biased as SFO is my home airport. Though recently used SJC and found it easy to navigate as well.

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
this is best airport. Or so it says. Is it best airport in USA award? Of course Sfo is best in USA. I just don’t think it can be best for global. Also majority of Sfo pax are UAL-bound and T1 is still not UAL. A lot of T3 is probably still older than T2 and I think the last T3 construction / renovation partial job was done by 2015.
By definition the survey was limited to USA airports. I can't tell if your comment was intended to be critical of T3 and specifically the F gates. But many of us prefer T3 F gates due to the concessions, the large UC club in the Rotunda (or the Amex club). I like the T2 (D gates) concessions as well. I really don't care for any of the overpriced "local" concessions in the renovated T1 aka Milk Terminal.

I would challenge you to name a better non-US airport. Personally I'm a fan of MUC for connections and the LH lounges. But I digress...

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 30, 22 at 12:52 am
Old Nov 29, 22, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
plenty of seating except at the international gates
There are usually empty seats upstairs, right above the gate area. I'll wait there until boarding starts, avoiding the mess down at the gate level.
Old Nov 30, 22, 2:36 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
There are usually empty seats upstairs, right above the gate area. I'll wait there until boarding starts, avoiding the mess down at the gate level.
A good practice in any crowded gate situation. As long as you can hear the announcements, you’re fine. No need to be right at the crowded gate.
Old Dec 1, 22, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
As long as you can hear the announcements, you’re fine. No need to be right at the crowded gate.
Most of the time I don't even need to hear the announcements. I usually just wait for the "now boarding" notification on the airline app before making my way closer to the boarding area...well on AS and UA at least. I can't rely on AA IT for much of anything.
Old Dec 1, 22, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by econ View Post
Most of the time I don't even need to hear the announcements. I usually just wait for the "now boarding" notification on the airline app before making my way closer to the boarding area...well on AS and UA at least. I can't rely on AA IT for much of anything.
OT but I find AA's app is pretty good about boarding notifications. AA provides notice later in the process than UA (I believe it's after 3 BPs have been scanned, as opposed to UA, where the notification is made right before the GAs begin calling pre-boarding).

In all events, my comment was pretty focused on SFO Int'l A and G, where the gates are located a level down from the main concourse, with a seating area upstairs from which you can look down and see what's going on at the gates.
Old Dec 1, 22, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
OT but I find AA's app is pretty good about boarding notifications. AA provides notice later in the process than UA (I believe it's after 3 BPs have been scanned, as opposed to UA, where the notification is made right before the GAs begin calling pre-boarding).

In all events, my comment was pretty focused on SFO Int'l A and G, where the gates are located a level down from the main concourse, with a seating area upstairs from which you can look down and see what's going on at the gates.
As for this setup at SFO, it greatly improves the passenger experience as the main concourse level isn't cluttered by people waiting to board sticking out into the walkway.
Old Dec 1, 22, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
As for this setup at SFO, it greatly improves the passenger experience as the main concourse level isn't cluttered by people waiting to board sticking out into the walkway.
It's even better down in the pit of despair as folks take the escalators down and are deposited right smack into the line of people queued up right as boarding begins.

David
Boraxo likes this.

Search this Thread