Wiki Posts
Search

NYT - San Francisco Shines With New Museums, Restaurants and Parks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mjm
... whenever I am back in the Bay Area I take advantage of the entire area for food choices.
The variety and high quality of the restaurants here rank very high among the reasons I love living here. I not sure even NYC is as good as here on that -- at least for those of us who favor East/South Asian and Mexican/Caribbean.
mjm likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:37 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by dhuey
The variety and high quality of the restaurants here rank very high among the reasons I love living here. I not sure even NYC is as good as here on that -- at least for those of us who favor East/South Asian and Mexican/Caribbean.
NY wins on deli, bakery, and pizza by a massive margin but for everything else I favor the Bay Area for sure.
squeakr likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by mjm
NY wins on deli, bakery, and pizza by a massive margin but for everything else I favor the Bay Area for sure.
True. Plenty of good Italian/pizza restaurants here, but only typical for a big metro area.
mjm likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:10 pm

True. Plenty of good Italian/pizza restaurants here, but only typical for a big metro area.
I generally agree that Italian in the Bay Area is just okay, but in its defense, it's a matter of expectations and taste. I say this as (to reveal my biases) someone who is from the northeast, first-generation of Italian parents, and I defend the hell out of Italian-American food as great in its own right while I also prefer some specific regional Italian to it. California-Italian is different. Italian as a broad category of food has commonalities around local (usually seasonal) ingredients, and simpler traditional techniques that really aren't all that far apart. In CA, pretty much anything you want can be a local ingredient, which CA-Italian takes full advantage of - but you also get more French and American technique. The Bay Area is also pretty removed from any significant Italian immigration, so a lot of it isn't made by Italians. I suppose that some people think <ethnic food> not made by <people of that ethnicity> is bad, I personally think it's led to California-Italian as distinct from its Northeast counterpart, sticking to the principles of locality (where CA is unbeatable, everything from meat and produce, to seafood, and imho the best wines in the world), while drifting a bit on technique and simplicity. I really do think it's great.

Don't get me wrong, some of it isn't amazing, and in SF there's plenty of high end places that are doing it just okay (e.g. if you're deciding between Octavia and Flour+Water and have pasta in mind, I'd pick F+W 10 out of 10 times). There are also some great regional Italian places, although some closed during the pandemic. But I gotta end my rambling here

On pizza, I think SF is great if you're into Neapolitan style. There are also at least one Roman-style and NY-style worth visiting as well, but those categories are lacking otherwise. Can't speak to the broader bay area as I never left SF for pizza.
squeakr likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
On pizza, I think SF is great if you're into Neapolitan style. There are also at least one Roman-style and NY-style worth visiting as well, but those categories are lacking otherwise. Can't speak to the broader bay area as I never left SF for pizza.
Zachary's (Chicago-style) over here in the East Bay is some of the best pizza I've ever had, but of course such things are matters of personal preferences.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mjm
In the City I think now I like the neighborhoods more than downtown. No, wait, I am sure I do. The vibe is so much more chill. And the food options are incredible. But for me, with the City being roughly 6% the size of Tokyo, and knowing how people move around all over the place here, whenever I am back in the Bay Area I take advantage of the entire area for food choices. I just cannot get stuck in one area. Maybe growing up in Berkeley and having the north and south ends of the East Bay available and the City was just another direction, never the heartbeat, I just became accustomed to seeing the greater Bay Area as my oyster. And now that I love in a truly big city (with terrific public transportation) I am further convinced that limiting myself to one tiny area would be depriving myself.
Well, I spent several hours today in SF. Lovely. Anywhere I was (W Hotel, up to Union Sq., Yerba Buena Gardens, even over to 6th @ Market) things were in decent shape. Not too much urban blight present, at least not today, the weather was magnificent, the tourists are out, waiting in a block-long line for the cable car, stores had foot traffic, all in all, it was great to see. The only tragedy is that when I made the trek to 6th and Market, I learned that Tu Lan is no longer open on Saturday. I have been looking forward to the lunch I did not get to have for a few days, nor the dinner I was expecting (from additional take out of a lemon/beef salad I was going to order). And then that old Bee Gees song, Tragedy, started playing in my head. Make it go away. Please.

I stopped for a tri tip sandwich at Buckhorn. Not bad. I took AC Transit home - the NL to the 72R. Better than BART. Well, except that one must change buses in the heart of Anarchyville, near 20th and Broadway. I had to cross the street and wait about 5 minutes. Somehow, although first I was afraid, I was petrified, I lived.
mjm likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I took AC Transit home - the NL to the 72R. Better than BART. Well, except that one must change buses in the heart of Anarchyville, near 20th and Broadway. I had to cross the street and wait about 5 minutes. Somehow, although first I was afraid, I was petrified, I lived.
Well there's at least no need to fear AH or PW's Porsche driver to run you over.

David
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zachary's (Chicago-style) over here in the East Bay is some of the best pizza I've ever had, but of course such things are matters of personal preferences.
It’s delicious but it’s also like dropping a 10 pound kettle ball directly into your stomach! I like Pizzaiolo on Telegraph near 51st for some delicious pizza in Oakland and as much as I’m ashamed to admit it, I always order at least one King Arthur Supreme from Round Table every time I’m back.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:05 pm

I'll have to give that a go next time I'm down. See if it's better than Windy City Pie up here in Seattle. With any luck, they're both good.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It’s delicious but it’s also like dropping a 10 pound kettle ball directly into your stomach!.
I've set a once-per-month Zachary's maximum. It is indeed quite the calorie bomb. And it's so good that I often eat past the point when I'm no longer hungry.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've set a once-per-month Zachary's maximum. It is indeed quite the calorie bomb. And it's so good that I often eat past the point when I'm no longer hungry.
Little Star (and The Star) for deep dish over Zachary's any day. And I am unanimous in that! But this is like a Coke v Pepsi thing.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Little Star (and The Star) for deep dish over Zachary's any day. And I am unanimous in that! But this is like a Coke v Pepsi thing.
And Little Star has given rise to a local chain called Blue Line Pizza. Most of the nine branches are on the Peninsula, from Daly City to Campbell and Los Gatos (also in Levi's Stadium & SAP Center), but one is in Danville. I've enjoyed the pizza at the Daly City location, though I haven't eaten there since before the pandemic.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
And Little Star has given rise to a local chain called Blue Line Pizza. Most of the nine branches are on the Peninsula, from Daly City to Campbell and Los Gatos (also in Levi's Stadium & SAP Center), but one is in Danville. I've enjoyed the pizza at the Daly City location, though I haven't eaten there since before the pandemic.
What happened is The Little Star partners split, and as part of the arrangement, anything already called Little Star could keep its name, and one side calls any new restaurants The Star and the other side calls any new restaurants Blue Line.
KathyWdrf likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Us as well. We like blueline the times we tried it

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
We went a couple of times just before the pandemic and thought it was quite good. I didn't know about the Little star connection.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'm really enjoying this thread

There's a lot of drift but I'm really enjoying the conversations here - old timers and new timers and visitors. If any visitors need specific information about restaurants, hotels or anything else please feel free to start a new thread.

squeakr

Mod SFO

Last edited by squeakr; Aug 18, 2022 at 9:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.