Wiki Posts
Search

NYT - San Francisco Shines With New Museums, Restaurants and Parks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Thank you for your input, I feel a little more chill knowing we're not near the 'action'.

The missus booked the Omni. We've had good experiences with Omni DC and San Diego so hopefully it will extend to this hotel.
You are also right down the street from Perbacco, Barbacco, and Tadich Grill - not to mention just a few more blocks to the Ferry Building, and not a far walk up to North Beach. I've had a few great dinners at Perbacco ($$$$) and several at its more casual cousin Barbacco ($$) and recommend them both. Tadich is a "San Francisco World Famous" place for fish - a step back in time (save the prices) and a worthwhile stop.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You are also right down the street from Perbacco, Barbacco, and Tadich Grill - not to mention just a few more blocks to the Ferry Building, and not a far walk up to North Beach. I've had a few great dinners at Perbacco ($$$$) and several at its more casual cousin Barbacco ($$) and recommend them both. Tadich is a "San Francisco World Famous" place for fish - a step back in time (save the prices) and a worthwhile stop.
Those restaurants look amazing. I might actually be able to persuade the family into Barbacco!

Thanks for the tip!

I don't suppose you know of any decent sandwich bars downtown, for lunchtime eats?
mjm likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:25 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by dhuey
Yep, ever since the early '90s when I worked in the Financial District (and maybe long before then), it has been a boring part of the city. People work there, they might go out for a drink after work, and then they leave. By 9 pm it's pretty quiet.

The Fairmont and Mark Hopkins are far from the nicest hotels in the city, but their location on Nob Hill is right on the California cable car line. It's a pleasant neighborhood with great views, and it's a genuine San Francisco experience. Chinatown is a short but steep walk (or ride) away.
The Chinatown proximity is a definite bonus. Some great eating happening there.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
The Chinatown proximity is a definite bonus. Some great eating happening there.
Love Chinese food. Any recommendations on that too please?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:02 am
mjm
Original Member

Love Chinese food. Any recommendations on that too please?
I am sure many folks here will have plenty of good suggestions, but one right off the top of my head near your hotel is Sam Wo for fried rice. Pretty well regarded and I think it is some of the best I've had. Come out of the hotel, turn right up California to Kearney which is the next street (if you ignore the small side street called Spring St. which is actually just before Kearney). Right there for 3 blocks to Clay. Turn left and it is just on your left. Maybe a 5 minute walk on very safe streets. If you carry on straight from there to the top of the block you reach Grant St. which is the main (for a pun, shall we say "mein") street of Chinatown. Too many choices there

Alternate route: Left out of the hotel, go along Montgomery St. for 3 blocks to Clay and go left there for 1 block and Sam Wo is just across the intersection at Kearney on your left. This route has you at the base of the Transamerica Tower on the corner of Montgomery and Clay. Photo opp!

Last edited by mjm; Aug 3, 2022 at 7:16 am
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
I am sure many folks here will have plenty of good suggestions, but one right off the top of my head near your hotel is Sam Wo for fried rice. Pretty well regarded and I think it is some of the best I've had. Come out of the hotel, turn right up California to Kearney which is the next street (if you ignore the small side street called Spring St. which is actually just before Kearney). Right there for 3 blocks to Clay. Turn left and it is just on your left. Maybe a 5 minute walk on very safe streets. If you carry on straight from there to the top of the block you reach Grant St. which is the main (for a pun, shall we say "mein") street of Chinatown. Too many choices there

Alternate route: Left out of the hotel, go along Montgomery St. for 3 blocks to Clay and go left there for 1 block and Sam Wo is just across the intersection at Kearney on your left. This route has you at the base of the Transamerica Tower on the corner of Montgomery and Clay. Photo opp!
My goodness Sam Wo looks good. And so reasonably priced!
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
If you carry on straight from there to the top of the block you reach Grant St. which is the main (for a pun, shall we say "mein") street of Chinatown.!
You have just lost your last remaining SF cred. Grant is an Avenue!
I've not had any Chinese type food in SF Chinatown for probably 15 years or more, so I don't have any recs in that department.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't suppose you know of any decent sandwich bars downtown, for lunchtime eats?
Those that I know who are working (albeit still not daily) in the Financial District have been commenting on the lack of such places, as many are gone forever, or their temporary closures are extending into possible forever. I expect that you'll find something suitable in or very close to Embarcadero Center or the Ferry Building. Boudin Bakery should still make you a decent sandwich (and should still have locations @ Macy's and Embarcadero Center). I'd also ask for some Banh Mi shop recs. You might consider the unsavory walk to Saigon Sandwich. It also looks like Lee's Deli has reopened their locations in the Financial District area for the weekday lunch "crowds." https://www.leesdeli.com/location .
kevino likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:48 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Others here might disagree but I quite like Mendocino Farms. They are a chain, not a local spot, but I've never disliked their food. They have two locations downtown I think.

If you're willing to walk a bit west, check out The Sentinel. And if you're willing to go further north, Molinari's sandwiches are very good.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:15 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You have just lost your last remaining SF cred. Grant is an Avenue!
I've not had any Chinese type food in SF Chinatown for probably 15 years or more, so I don't have any recs in that department.
I am East Bay. Oakland born, but came up in Berkeley. :-) to be specific. No whiners, Giants, etc. for me. Street, avenue on that side of the bay is irrelevant. When I was a kid you drove under the arch on Grant pulled over to left, gave your fireworks order (M-8-s, how many bricks of firecrackers, bottle rockets, cherry bombs etc.) and then pulled up a little bit to wait for the guy with the brown bag of illegal fireworks to whom you handed a wad of cash.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mjm
I am East Bay. Oakland born, but came up in Berkeley. :-) to be specific. No whiners, Giants, etc. for me. Street, avenue on that side of the bay is irrelevant. When I was a kid you drove under the arch on Grant pulled over to left, gave your fireworks order (M-8-s, how many bricks of firecrackers, bottle rockets, cherry bombs etc.) and then pulled up a little bit to wait for the guy with the brown bag of illegal fireworks to whom you handed a wad of cash.
So that's why the Berkeley Hills are burned over every other year...

David
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
So that's why the Berkeley Hills are burned over every other year...

David
There's some saying out there, no reflection on said former East Bay resident, that goes something like "Once a Raiders fan, always an illegal firecracker buyer.".
mjm likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by mjm
(Bolding mine)

I know where you're coming from (), and I must protest. There are numbered streets and numbered avenues in San Francisco, and they are NOT the same, nor are they even in the same part of town. Ninth Street is NOT Ninth Avenue. (Just so the out-of-towners don't get hopelessly lost in SF.)
nnn likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
One of my go to sources when it comes to food is Eater.

Take a look at this map/guide; The Sentinel and Molinari Delicatessen, which are mentioned above, are both listed:
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
....I don't suppose you know of any decent sandwich bars downtown, for lunchtime eats?
Not really a "sandwich bar" (if there is such a thing in the U.S.), a place that I like and have eaten at recently (so I know it's still good) is The Grove at 690 Mission St. near Third St. It's one of a small local chain of two (formerly four, I believe, but the others were done in by the pandemic). You order at the counter, then sit at a table and your food is brought to you.

The Grove SF - Thoughtfully Crafted Comfort Food
USA_flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.