Search

Dropping off/being picked up at SFO amid traffic congestion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Dropping off/being picked up at SFO amid traffic congestion

Last Friday at around 9:45 pm, I was driving daughter #2 to SFO for her return trip to college at the end of her spring break. There was a long backup of traffic. I came in on 101 South, and as I approached the split for Domestic/International Terminals, I could see that Domestic was backed up all the way over the freeway. "No worries, I'm a FlyerTalker!" I assured daughter #2.

I figured the backup had to be for domestic arrivals, and that turned out to be true. I look the International exit (right side), looped around the International departures level, and took the "Return to Terminals" exit (left side). That brought us back almost to Terminal 1, and way farther up than the crawl of cars that started all the way back at 101. I went to the Domestic departures level (right side) and dropped her off at the entrance near JetBlue check-in. Daughter had to admit that she was impressed.

So...if you find yourself in this drop-off situation, you might try the above workaround. Also, if you're being picked up at Domestic arrivals when it's really congested, consider going up to the departures level and meeting your driver up there. Otherwise you might be looking at a half-hour of frustration.
Eastbay1K, TWA884, ryw and 4 others like this.

Last edited by dhuey; Mar 20, 2022 at 11:04 am
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Another option (for those familiar with the airport / traveling light) is for B and E/F gates, just do the drop at Int'l and walk. It also gives the traveler the opportunity to use A / G security checkpoints if the lines are short and already checked in.
dhuey, Kacee, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Another option (for those familiar with the airport / traveling light) is for B and E/F gates, just do the drop at Int'l and walk. It also gives the traveler the opportunity to use A / G security checkpoints if the lines are short and already checked in.
And conversely, arrivals could walk over to Intl to get picked up there.

At one point, I was doing this for rideshare pickups.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I've been seeing this late-night traffic backup at SFO pretty regularly now. I think your International Terminal idea is the way to go these days.

What's the consensus here on which level of International is less busy in the evenings -- departures (top) or arrivals (bottom)? Or does it not make much difference?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
I've been seeing this late-night traffic backup at SFO pretty regularly now. I think your International Terminal idea is the way to go these days.

What's the consensus here on which level of International is less busy in the evenings -- departures (top) or arrivals (bottom)? Or does it not make much difference?
Probably no consensus here - but my hunch is that arrivals is busy a bit earlier, and then departures, a bit later, although I expect that given the nature of the late night heavies, that many people are arriving 3+ hours prior to departure, which is when the aircraft are arriving, and for those that need to go through non-expedited arrival formalities, there are possibly people boarding the departing flights "upstairs" while some are barely getting their luggage "downstairs." So, my conclusion is that I might be right, ever so slightly, after this online debate with myself.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Same with the parking shuttles. ParkSFO drops at international first, and I always get off there rather than getting stuck in the loop.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dhuey

For what it's worth (if you trust Google Maps traffic data) you can see which level (arrivals vs departures) is redder in the traffic view and avoid that.

Domestic flights usually operate in banks, and in my experience at T1-3, only one level ever is really congested.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I’ve definitely had to do some circling with baggage claim pickups. At the worst my pax just wait while I do the cut me from the comfort of my driver’s seat :-)
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My current "sweet spot" for getting picked up (as most of my flights these days seem to exit from T2) are to walk outside toward T1 curbside - either upstairs if no luggage or downstairs with luggage. When you get close to the construction area, there is a minor respite from the worst of the congestion.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If I'm making a domestic pick-up, and the loop is backed up, I'll park in the short term garage, since the entrance/exit avoids the worst in both directions.
gaobest likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Kacee
If I'm making a domestic pick-up, and the loop is backed up, I'll park in the short term garage, since the entrance/exit avoids the worst in both directions.
the garage is really great for avoiding the traffic related to the airport pax. I appreciate the floor and section markings. I still photograph my space location so I can find the car after my airport activity.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.