Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

How is San Francisco metro area currently?

How is San Francisco metro area currently?

Old Jan 9, 22, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
I don’t think public transport is really unsafe, but it can be rather unpleasant.
It's relatively safe, but certainly not as safe as in the past; there was a time not too long ago when I don't think I ever considered the risk factor riding BART; now, I generally avoid it unless it's to avoid traffic and I'm in a rush.

At night, I would encourage most to avoid public transportation in the Bay Area these days.
Boraxo, nnn and ewoo like this.
Old Jan 9, 22, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
I don't know if ancestral roots in the city for a resident of nearby rich, white suburb with exactly counts as "bonafides" in the way you intend here. Danville exists as it does because white people thought (and continue to think) Oakland is too dangerous. It's Danville's raison d'tre.
Danville is actually a very mixed community now as is most of the tri-valley with many first and second generation immigrants. I am sure the latest census numbers will bear that out.

But this isnt a conversation about historical faults. It is about present day safety in the Bay Area. And I think theres a pretty broad consensus on what is safe, marginal and otherwise. Of course it is relative and somebody who lives in Compton might find SF very safe whereas somebody from rural Kansas might not.

Having visited a number of cities, states, countries and slums my personal view is that most of SF and BART is relatively safe but that doesnt mean that all neighborhoods are desirable to visit. Then again Im the one who panned Los Gatos so everything is relative LOL
nnn, Visconti and ewoo like this.
Old Jan 9, 22, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Danville is actually a very mixed community now as is most of the tri-valley with many first and second generation immigrants. I am sure the latest census numbers will bear that out.

But this isn’t a conversation about historical faults. It is about present day safety in the Bay Area. And I think there’s a pretty broad consensus on what is safe, marginal and otherwise. Of course it is relative and somebody who lives in Compton might find SF very safe whereas somebody from rural Kansas might not.

Having visited a number of cities, states, countries and slums my personal view is that most of SF and BART is relatively safe but that doesn’t mean that all neighborhoods are desirable to visit. Then again I’m the one who panned Los Gatos so everything is relative LOL
That's Saratoga you panned.

David
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 10, 22, 9:04 am

But this isnt a conversation about historical faults. It is about present day safety in the Bay Area. And I think theres a pretty broad consensus on what is safe, marginal and otherwise. Of course it is relative and somebody who lives in Compton might find SF very safe whereas somebody from rural Kansas might not.
For me, this is one of those things where I'm like, you know, cut the crap, the song & dance, and just fix the thing. It's like a bad quarter when the C-Suite gets on with all of these excuses on why they stunk up the joint. News flash - we don't care; we know you stunk it up and can see it with our own eyes. So, fix it, or we get someone who can, and take all this double speak and shove it up your you know what. This is how I feel about SF right now. Far as I'm concerned, they can all return to the private sector. I'm ready for some fresh blood running this city.

Having visited a number of cities, states, countries and slums my personal view is that most of SF and BART is relatively safe but that doesnt mean that all neighborhoods are desirable to visit. Then again Im the one who panned Los Gatos so everything is relative LOL
LOL...if Saratoga had been on my to-list, your "panning" recounting probably would have probably resulted in my crossing it off.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 10, 22, 1:53 pm

The census numbers do not bear that out - 80.5% white. Maybe that counts as diverse as far as rich, white suburbs go but that is a low bar. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/da...towncalifornia

Last edited by ucdtim17; Jan 10, 22 at 2:02 pm
Old Jan 10, 22, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The census numbers do not bear that out - 80.5% white. Maybe that counts as diverse as far as rich, white suburbs go but that is a low bar. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/da...towncalifornia
Again, SF safety is the focus of this thread, not Danville demographics.

But since you brought it up, the linked stats show 75% white, 25% mostly hispanic and asian. To me that's diverse compared to, e.g. Madison Wisconsin, where I saw about zero minorities on my last visit. Or Minsk or Luanda or hundreds of other cities worldwide. Of course there are many US cities that are more diverse. But there are many US suburbs that are not. And of course we are part of a larger metro area where diversity abounds.
Old Jan 10, 22, 10:06 pm

Again, SF safety is the focus of this thread, not Danville demographics.
Seeing comfortable privileged people in wealthy suburbs going out of their way to opine about how dangerous Oakland and SF are, and how visitors should be scared, is always going to get my hackles up.
Old Jan 10, 22, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing comfortable privileged people in wealthy suburbs going out of their way to opine about how dangerous Oakland and SF are, and how visitors should be scared, is always going to get my hackles up.
Boraxo doesn't sugarcoat the truth. no matter how painful. As for credibility, on the internet you can be a troll from anywhere and nobody will know any better. As a native and long time resident who has visited all city neighborhoods at all hours I will put my SF and Oakland street cred up against anybody. But what do I know since I bought a house in a nice suburb? What are your qualifications?
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 11, 22, 10:22 am

Boraxo doesn't sugarcoat the truth. no matter how painful. As for credibility, on the internet you can be a troll from anywhere and nobody will know any better. As a native and long time resident who has visited all city neighborhoods at all hours I will put my SF and Oakland street cred up against anybody. But what do I know since I bought a house in a nice suburb? What are your qualifications?
That's great you're an unbiased straight shooter but there's also likely pretty significant overlap between people who choose to live in places like Danville and people who would not recommend walking around downtown Oakland or SF after dark. On the other hand, more people moved to Oakland in the past ten years than live in Danville entirely, so for a lot of people, the pros outweigh the cons. The whole reason anyone knows about Uptown Oakland as a thing, as a happening neighborhood, is because many people enjoy visiting the neighborhood's bars and restaurants after dark, or people decide to live in one of the many new apartment buildings there. If you're from Wichita and are generally only comfortable in suburban areas with white people around - yeah you probably won't be comfortable in downtown Oakland after dark but those people are probably not considering a visit to Oakland anyways. Otherwise, use normal street smarts and please enjoy visiting this wonderful city. (SF is also a nice place to visit)
mjm likes this.
Old Jan 14, 22, 2:27 pm

That's great you're an unbiased straight shooter but there's also likely pretty significant overlap between people who choose to live in places like Danville and people who would not recommend walking around downtown Oakland or SF after dark. On the other hand, more people moved to Oakland in the past ten years than live in Danville entirely, so for a lot of people, the pros outweigh the cons. The whole reason anyone knows about Uptown Oakland as a thing, as a happening neighborhood, is because many people enjoy visiting the neighborhood's bars and restaurants after dark, or people decide to live in one of the many new apartment buildings there. If you're from Wichita and are generally only comfortable in suburban areas with white people around - yeah you probably won't be comfortable in downtown Oakland after dark but those people are probably not considering a visit to Oakland anyways. Otherwise, use normal street smarts and please enjoy visiting this wonderful city. (SF is also a nice place to visit)
You're really trying to argue that Oakland is safe? The chief of OPD and the bay area disagrees with you. They had an insane number of homicides in 2020 and 2021. Asians are being attacked and robbed daily, this one the most recent.

How exactly could street smarts prevent getting shot while waiting in line for a concert? We don't even go to the Fox anymore due to all the robberies and violence, even in Uptown.

Mother in Line for Concert Tickets at Oakland's Fox Theater Hit by Stray Bullets
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 14, 22, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by formiles View Post
You're really trying to argue that Oakland is safe? The chief of OPD and the bay area disagrees with you. They had an insane number of homicides in 2020 and 2021. Asians are being attacked and robbed daily, this one the most recent.

How exactly could street smarts prevent getting shot while waiting in line for a concert? We don't even go to the Fox anymore due to all the robberies and violence, even in Uptown.

Mother in Line for Concert Tickets at Oakland's Fox Theater Hit by Stray Bullets
Cities are not "safe" or "unsafe." I am writing this in Oakland. I have lived a majority of my life in Oakland. I feel "safe" every day. If I didn't feel "safe" I wouldn't live here. Different people have different preferences and different risk tolerances. It is also true - at the very same time - that crime is a big problem in Oakland and there are way too many robberies, shootings and murders. That's unfortunate you don't visit anymore, but as noted above, Uptown continues to exist as a functioning, growing neighborhood, with challenges. People continue to live here, shows continue at the Fox and life goes on with the large number of people who do want to be here. Even with the homicide surge the past two years, there was still only one homicide in Uptown last year (4 if you expand the boundaries a bit -https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/05/bay-area-homicides-2021-map-and-details/). Most crime is busted car windows. Unfortunately, Oakland has other neighborhoods that have much more serious problems with violent crime and shootings. These issues aren't really relevant to people considering visiting for a dinner out and a show at the Fox.
Old Jan 14, 22, 5:20 pm

New Hyatt opening in March, joining a Moxy hotel as new hotels to open during the pandemic in Uptown - https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...-oakland/oakub. Rooftop bar https://sf.eater.com/2022/1/14/22883...land-high-five.

Two high rises finishing construction soon (https://www.hollandresidential.com/ca/oakland/vespr/ and https://www.ckcps.com/projects/151919), another well into construction now (https://lpcwest.com/development/1900-broadway/)

Don't they know it's UNSAFE?!!?!
Old Jan 14, 22, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
New Hyatt opening in March, joining a Moxy hotel as new hotels to open during the pandemic in Uptown - https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...-oakland/oakub. Rooftop bar https://sf.eater.com/2022/1/14/22883...land-high-five.

Two high rises finishing construction soon (https://www.hollandresidential.com/ca/oakland/vespr/ and https://www.ckcps.com/projects/151919), another well into construction now (https://lpcwest.com/development/1900-broadway/)

Don't they know it's UNSAFE?!!?!
The salmon certainly don't.

https://oaklandside.org/2022/01/11/r...itt-good-news/

Also, please don't let the word out regarding the highest rating of the Fire Department for insurance rating purposes

Shhhhhhh.

https://www.oaklandca.gov/news/2022/...-1-designation
ucdtim17 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 22, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
The thread is verging into OMNI territory.

The question is about safety in The San Francisco metro area. Arguments about why people live in Danville etc. etc. are not really warranted here.

I will say I agree with those who state that Safety is relative. I am an older woman not quick on my feet, and I find several areas of Oakland and San Francisco unavailable to me because there is enough street nonsense that I wouldnt feel safe trying to walk through it or run away from it. Yet I know many people who live in these areas and to go to restaurants etc. who are quite comfortable doing so.
Boraxo and nnn like this.
Old Jan 18, 22, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
I am an older woman not quick on my feet, and I find several areas of Oakland and San Francisco unavailable to me because there is enough street nonsense that I wouldn’t feel safe trying to walk through it or run away from it.
Though I'm getting older, I'm still young enough (though barely!) to still look a little dangerous. While there are many areas I would rather not venture to, I can't say that I have any fear and no one really bothers me. I'm not looking for an altercation, but I'm not afraid of it ether, and have no qualms defending myself, if necessary. However, having said that, I wouldn't want my wife or children walking around in 90% of the city, especially at night.
nnn and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by squeakr; Jan 18, 22 at 11:53 pm Reason: Delete extraneous political comments.

Search this Thread