Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

How is San Francisco metro area currently?

How is San Francisco metro area currently?

Old Sep 17, 22, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by mjm View Post
Commit a crime? The most egregious thing I am likely to do is put ham in my Matzos Brei.
i did mention about being accused of committing a crime. The remand is for being accused. Even the ultra liberal nyt had some scary articles about Carlos and Jim in Tokyo.
Old Sep 17, 22, 2:05 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
i did mention about being accused of committing a crime. The remand is for being accused. Even the ultra liberal nyt had some scary articles about Carlos and Jim in Tokyo.
Lived here 32 years, it is not an issue. Don't believe everything you read.
Old Sep 17, 22, 5:35 pm

Lived here 32 years, it is not an issue. Don't believe everything you read.
Right. Don't steal, refrain from taking illegal drugs, resist assaulting or molesting anyone and keep your spare hand your pocket while riding in a crowded train. How hard is that?
mjm likes this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 9:04 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Right. Don't steal, refrain from taking illegal drugs, resist assaulting or molesting anyone and keep your spare hand your pocket while riding in a crowded train. How hard is that?
Pretty much yeah.
Old Sep 21, 22, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I visited last weekend and stayed at the Grand Hyatt. My experience was very good. Friday night at 10 PM I walked a block over to Powell and had beers and snacks at a fun bar I found. I saw one unhoused person sleeping on the street. There was plenty of private security and police.

Saturday morning I walked Market to the Ferry Building. Again, I saw one unhoused person. There were more closed businesses in the Financial District than you'd like to see but no boarded up windows, no devastation. The Ferry Building was a great stop as always. I then rode BART to the East Bay, no issues on BART minus the 30 minute headways, that sucks.

Saturday evening I walked from AT&T Park all the way down 3rd street back to the GH. Some rowdy drunk people out but nothing to be worried about. Frankly it felt good seeing people out and having fun even if drunk laughter really isn't as funny when you're sober.

I posted all this on Facebook and of course I was told I didn't go to the right places (or wrong places I guess) and I was wrong and the usual lines about people taking drugs in public and defecating in the streets. People really love repeating the latter statement as if it's settled fact. The important thing was it was a nice visit.
KathyWdrf likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad you had a nice visit. My child went to the ballpark last weekend with friends and I them all 2 blocks from the ballpark on 3rd. Even the dodgers fans were safe and not bothered by anybody. I drove a bit further and turned on Harrison to get back on the freeway.

this morning I went to my office and the tents were not adjacent to the building but on the other side of the sidewalk. I remain convinced that most usa urban cities have a big unhoused population. I have zero proof because I don’t spend time actually researching this data. Oh and I again walked past a block of people waiting their turn for a food bank. I’ve seen less fortunate people my whole life all over the world. The old female beggars with children outside restaurants in Guangzhou / Shanghai / hangzhou / Beijing were most memorable - one guide in Shanghai insisted that the children were kidnapped and used for this. My last visit in China was New Years 2006/2007. Now the photos of women by bread bakeries in Kabul remind me of this. Now I’m definitely going to have some toast.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Now Im definitely going to have some toast.
$20+?
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:07 am
mjm
Original Member

It is nice when visitors feel they can come and enjoy the City. We need more of that for sure. The hit to tourism has been massive for several years now. The efforts to clean things up downtown have been significant, but resulted in nothing but sweeping the problem a few blocks away or off to the edge for a short time. When it is warmer in many parts of the city/state homeless people move around. When it gets cooler and the warmth of the City is attractive to them they move back. Has always been this way and gets worse each year. Staying at the Hilton Financial District recently the walk to Market St. was disgusting with homeless on many building's steps and in the areas set back from the street. The street cleanliness itself was disgusting and people just seemed to ignore it and accept it as part of the environment. The lack of change is in large part due to the laws being lax regarding homeless people and doing anything significant to get them out of the public areas. The courts it seems have no interest in doing anything and that leaves the city fairly toothless in its attempts rectify this problem. This is coupled by the evolving definition of what constitutes a crime to which the police will take the time to respond. In downtown LA the homeless problem is even worse but the weather is much better. Correlation much?
SOMA is a place with a fairly high crime rate, but is also an area being gentrified as time goes by. That is changing the face of the city, but not removing the problem, just relocating it.
As a person involved with urban planning in major urban area, and the associated study of other urban areas around the world, watching what has and is happening to the where I grew up makes me sad. What is worse though is the apparent acceptance by too many Americans of this aspect of society. The idea that homeless are everywhere and we should just accept it is a perspective that I cannot subscribe to because I know it is possible to do better. There should be no homeless people at all on the streets. None. It can and is being done in much larger urban areas than downtown San Francisco. Perhaps not in the US though. Hmmm... again, correlation much?

The inaccessibility of so many in the US to decent healthcare, public services that actually keep them off the streets, etc. is a shame on the US. As a US citizen this really hurts me but it appears to be of little enough import there so as to allow it to continue. Downtown San Francisco has gone from a very attractive place to a fairly unattractive place in a span of 15 or so years. For my demographic (and that of many posters here) the ability to walk the streets with a reasonable expectation of being able to handle whatever is there is one thing, but it does not mean that all age demographics would be equally impacted. The "me only" approach to life in the US is a large contributor to why a place like the City that has spiraled downward so dramatically. It is a shame, but the continued tunnel vision look at life there by visitors and other people privileged to live in nicer areas of the Bay Area is likely to continue to contribute to very little change occurring. I am always pleased to hear of an uptick in positive opinions about the City by visitors, but I would be even happier to see the city doing more to make the downtown area a cleaner, safer, generally more attractive version of itself. It has seen many good days and can again, but it will be a while yet unless the city, visitors, and residents of the rest of the Bay Area set higher standards that do not include a homeless population occupying the streets.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
To be completely fair, though, the mid-Market area has been blighted in one way or another for at least the past half-century (yup, since the 1970s, or perhaps earlier). When people say that they walked around and didn't see anything amiss on Market St., it's usually because they were on a different part of Market St.
mjm likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah we can wish for better lives for all is great and ultimately limiting. Moving to Asia where it’s normal to wear a mask outdoors due to pollution and Illness helps one element of life. Certain parts. Other parts have big homeless encampments on a wholesale level. Let’s also stop blaming the homeless for being homeless. Their situation sucks even if they don’t have to work and can spend their time and money on drugs. It still sucks while we here try to fly in F for $40 that most people would use for food or nourishment.
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:56 pm
mjm
Original Member

Yeah we can wish for better lives for all is great and ultimately limiting. Moving to Asia where its normal to wear a mask outdoors due to pollution and Illness helps one element of life. Certain parts. Other parts have big homeless encampments on a wholesale level. Lets also stop blaming the homeless for being homeless. Their situation sucks even if they dont have to work and can spend their time and money on drugs. It still sucks while we here try to fly in F for $40 that most people would use for food or nourishment.
This post makes a good point and that is that the homeless problem is not one where we can or should point fingers at those on the streets. Their stories are varied and often sad. But more than that all too often based on something much deeper than simply not having enough for a meal. They need help, various kinds of help and they should be getting it from the municipal/state governments. This is why the issue in San Francisco is so much the focus here. Environmentally San Francisco is an attractive alternative to may other places and the numbers if homeless continue to swell, in part due to this. The issue is of primary importance in the Bay Area. It is not something to be accepted. It is something to be addressed with action.

I am pleased that people here are not pointing fingers at the homeless but rather at the local and state governments and the fact of the problem that exists. I was not clear on what point was being attempted with the moving to Asia comment. The problems dealt with by the homeless in the City certainly exist in the populations of many major cities in 1st world countries around the globe. The difference is in how it dealt with at those locations. With San Francisco being so small and relatively wealthy it would seem more could have been done, should be done, and hopefully will be done. Choosing to accept this problem as part of the landscape is not that solution.
ucdtim17 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 22, 5:47 am

Here's my perspective, and it's relatively absent of nuance. I'm all empathied out. While I appreciate all the fancy talk and nice language, I just want the problem addressed--at this point, I really don't give a rat's a** how it's fixed. Just fix it. I don't have solutions, but it's not my job. These politicians asked for the job, so they should fix it, or we get someone who may, even those Repubs that gaobest thinks only White Males should ever vote for.

Once we clean things up, I'll be more open to the continued "beautification" of the English language.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 29, 22, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This post makes a good point and that is that the homeless problem is not one where we can or should point fingers at those on the streets. Their stories are varied and often sad. But more than that all too often based on something much deeper than simply not having enough for a meal. They need help, various kinds of help and they should be getting it from the municipal/state governments. This is why the issue in San Francisco is so much the focus here. Environmentally San Francisco is an attractive alternative to may other places and the numbers if homeless continue to swell, in part due to this. The issue is of primary importance in the Bay Area. It is not something to be accepted. It is something to be addressed with action.

I am pleased that people here are not pointing fingers at the homeless but rather at the local and state governments and the fact of the problem that exists. I was not clear on what point was being attempted with the moving to Asia comment. The problems dealt with by the homeless in the City certainly exist in the populations of many major cities in 1st world countries around the globe. The difference is in how it dealt with at those locations. With San Francisco being so small and relatively wealthy it would seem more could have been done, should be done, and hopefully will be done. Choosing to accept this problem as part of the landscape is not that solution.
What sets San Francisco apart from most other places, even those of similar political philosophies, is that the City is the downtown for the entire region, but the City is just a tiny portion of the political component of the region. Unless and until there is a regional governmental approach, with something such as the establishment of a Special District, with taxing and spending authority, SF (nor Oakland) can't spend its way out of the problem. The more it spends, the more people are attracted to its services, or lack of enforcement, or goodwill of people handing out money, and so on. Other major cities generally cover large geographical regions with a much expanded tax base. People of means living within a relatively short radius of SF get to enjoy all of the benefits of living so close to what has been and will again be a great City, without having to support the infrastructure. The region is more Balkanized than the states for which the word originates. There are just about 30 regional transit agencies, each with its own taxing and spending power, and its own fare. For me to go out to a (not on BART line) neighborhood in SF, all on transit, requires AC Transit, BART, and MUNI, each with a separate fare, all to go 12 miles. All this is to say, until there is regional real coordination, SF can't handle the situation on its own. Maybe the peninsula Tech Bros that come up to the Marina on the weekend to "get lucky" should pay a City entry fee. Or they can avoid the fee and hang out at Hillsdale Mall.
mjm and KathyWdrf like this.
Old Oct 1, 22, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here’s a great nyt article on homelessness in rural Ohio. It just proves my point that housing is a challenge in a lot more places than San Francisco. Yes it sucks and I feel sympathetic for these kids and again it’s happening everywhere in the western world and parts of Western Asia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/29/m...e=articleShare

Once they left subsidized housing, the family, like an increasing number of Americans, struggled to find a place that they could afford. They crowded in with LeAnn’s mother, then her sister, and as they searched, the children tried to keep up with their studies at their old schools. They had switched to remote learning during the pandemic, but rural internet access is spotty, and they often couldn’t log on. After three months, the family gave up on finding a place of their own and reluctantly moved to Gallia County, to live with Lee’s dad. Lee had a very troubled relationship with his father, and the family was not optimistic about the move. “It was a last resort,” LeAnn said grimly.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 22, 10:17 pm
mjm
Original Member

Heres a great nyt article on homelessness in rural Ohio. It just proves my point that housing is a challenge in a lot more places than San Francisco. Yes it sucks and I feel sympathetic for these kids and again its happening everywhere in the western world and parts of Western Asia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/29/m...e=articleShare
I do not think the point that housing is expensive or difficult to secure in some places was ever in question. It most certainly is an issue. In 1st world countries it need not be, but America in particular excels in making it a problem. Many, if not most, other first world countries do not have the level of problem the US has, or to stay thread specific, that San Francisco has. A little confused by the Western Asia point though. Do you mean the Middle East?

I feel sympathy for the Bay Area denizens who do not have their issues addressed leading to homelessness. In fact I feel anger that the state and the Greater Bay Area have allowed this to continue and expand for so long. Truly a pitiful situation for a place like the Bay Area, California, or the US.

Search this Thread