Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Which one for my family — JW or Westin St Francis or Marriott Marquis or Union Square

Which one for my family — JW or Westin St Francis or Marriott Marquis or Union Square

Old Apr 13, 21, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM

Family of four .. one room at the end of June for two or three nights. Points are the same except for JW which is slightly higher. I have the following questions:

1) which one offers a good breakfast or has a good lounge? Or has good breakfast places nearby? I don’t really have any experience with hotels in the USA .. I usually stay in Asia, S.America and Mexico.

2) upgrade chances using SNA’s?

3) we plan on using BART to get from Santa Clara to the hotel and Uber to get around or walk if the weather is good. Are there good places to eat around the hotels? We eat everything and anything and prefer a good variety of foods.

4) we might do a day trip to Muir Woods from the hotel and then maybe some city tours. Is the hotel a good place to be or other sightseeing?

Any other advice or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 13, 21, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Muir Woods - will you drive/park or use ride service to get there?

anyway these hotels are in what is now a very bad part of San Francisco - the deserted SOMA / area where the major malls are closed, pedestrian traffic is limited, and streets are filled with people who lack housing. Be careful with location. It’s not pleasant for walking. Bart is wretched. I avoid this area in general but had an outdoor luncheon at 2nd by market and drove around to find parking, seeing the deserted streets void of pedestrians (the people on the streets are NOT pedestrians - they live on the streets and don’t move much).

some people say that Times Square nyc wasn’t a nice area; so it’s like that. Sf has enough nice places for me so I don’t get bothered by the areas that I avoid. There’s enough to enjoy.
SFO777 and freeagent like this.
Old Apr 13, 21, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
As to which property has the best benefits in terms of SNAs and breakfast those questions might be better asked in a Marriott thread. With low demand I'd assume it'd be easy to redeem a SNA, but it's just a guess. The hotel restaurants might not be open due to covid so worth checking the hotels current amenities by calling them.

I will say that the St. Francis is a historical hotel and is quite nice, location wise its the best of the three. The Marquis has pretty much always severed the business crowd, as its near a convention center, and location wise is the poorest of the three.

Food options around Union Square aren't great and with covid I'm not sure how many are still open or operating, but there should be something regardless. There are grocery stores in the area.

Bart doesn't operate in Santa Clara so you'll have to take CalTrain and transfer to Bart in Milbrae or take CalTrain to SF and then Uber to the hotel. If I were you I'd take an Uber or Lyft to your hotel, shouldn't cost much more than the four train tickets and is all around a better option.

I'd also echo what gaobest says in that Union Square isn't a great place to be right now since covid has emptied out the city and petty crime has increased in the area. Plus there are a lot of variants and homeless living on the streets in that part of town. Things are slowly returning to normal so who knows how things will unfold. Nob Hill or Fisherman's Warf area might be better locations in terms of things to do and sight seeing.

For seeing Muir Woods you'll either need to rent a car or arrange a tour, it'll be impossible to get an uber or lyft out there.
Old Apr 13, 21, 11:23 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Yeah, downtown has been pretty depressing during Covid, but I’m hopeful that things will start bouncing back in the coming weeks and months as more and more folks are vaccinated and offices reopen. I can’t help you on hotel lounges (look for threads on Marriott forum), but for location I would pick Westin or JW from those choices.

For breakfast, I would recommend Sears Fine Foods, which is close to both those hotels. Great Swedish pancakes. Downtown SF is full of good restaurants, but the immediate vicinity of Union Square can be tourist trappy and most spots not so good. I like Colibrí for upscale Mexican food. Lots of solid Asian restaurants, including obviously Chinese food in nearby Chinatown. I like Tomasso’s in North Beach for Italian/pizza. It’s SF — one thing we are good for is food.

The cable cars won’t be running yet.

Might consider renting a car. Could be worthwhile.
Old Apr 14, 21, 9:32 am

Not sure about now, but few years ago we stayed near the Union Square. I think it was Hilton Union Square. I don't think I would stay near there again. There were a lot of homeless people (even before covid) and there isn't much to see around the hotel. And we heard there were a lot of poops on the street. We have not seen any, but we were not trying to look for them either. We just took Uber to the places we wanted to go. If we are to stay in SF next time, I would pick Fisherman's Wharf area instead. And bring winter clothing even if it is June. It is cold there LOL. As for breakfast or lounge, I think most hotels are still on grab and go breakfast. It may change in 2 months, but it may not.
Old Apr 14, 21, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like I will book the Marriott Fishermans Wharf since that is what the consensus above is saying. I can uber around for restaurants or just walk. It will be good for us to walk around.

For Muir woods, I was hoping to take a tour bus if they are up and running. If not, I will rent a car a car and drive there. Will make a decision that week.
Old Apr 14, 21, 11:08 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Good plan to stay at Fisherman’s Wharf instead.

Would look at visiting Alcatraz. It’s pretty cool. Sells out well in advance during normal times, don’t know about currently.
Old Apr 16, 21, 8:47 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
The tour buses are running and many of them leave from fisherman’s wharf

If you rent a card car you need to make sure you reserve parking in Muir Woods so I ‘d definitely consider the bus.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: