• https://www.flysfo.com/travel-well/covid-19-testing
  • https://www.dc3therapeutics.com/schedule-covid19-testing
Print Wikipost

covid, pcr testing near sfo ????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by docbert
At least early on there were reports that some of the "travel" test providers were breaking down the cost as one charge for the test itself, and another for the admin/paperwork/etc of having it done quickly. eg, for a $400 test, only $200 might be for the actual test which would be claimable, where the other $200 would not be. No idea if that's still happening or not.
Interesting. With the actual paperwork usually required for these claims, I wonder how they would break that down when doing the medical coding. I've got well over $1000 worth of claims to file so I guess I'll find out a lot once I can get to it. The one claim I already filed (well, technically they were two--one for me and one for the wife) went pretty smooth, but it was a cheaper test.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Pixel test recently?

About a year ago I did a pixel test and got the results about a day later - has anyone in Calif. done one recently and can tell me their processing time?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Where in SF can I get a rapid antigen test for travel without paying $100 or more? I thought these are generally free, but it seems hard to find a testing site that would give the result within a few hours and doesn't charge an arm and a leg for a test kit that just costs a few bucks. Looks like DC3 on the wiki is $80, but that's still a lot for this type of test, and they're not open on weekends.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's ridiculously difficult to find free or reasonably priced testing in the Bay Area. We've used CityHealth's drivethru at the Oakland airport. They also have a location in SF. When we tested for Italy last fall, the antigen test was free but they charged like $20 for the documentation.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's ridiculously difficult to find free or reasonably priced testing in the Bay Area. We've used CityHealth's drivethru at the Oakland airport. They also have a location in SF. When we tested for Italy last fall, the antigen test was free but they charged like $20 for the documentation.
really? cvs, walgreens both free
SamirD and freeagent like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by estnet
really? cvs, walgreens both free
Rapid testing at Walgreen's is nonexistent in the bay area. CVS it appears there are now a few appointments available. This is a very new development.

Here in AZ we do Walgreen's drive-thru PCR and have results within an hour. It is a mystery to me why it's been so consistently challenging to get rapid tested in the Bay Area without having to pay $275.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It is a mystery to me why it's been so consistently challenging to get rapid tested in the Bay Area without having to pay $275.
Got tested at Kaiser yesterday at midday. Got results back today at 6pm. 36 hours almost to the minute. No charge as Kaiser member.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Rapid testing at Walgreen's is nonexistent in the bay area. CVS it appears there are now a few appointments available. This is a very new development.

Here in AZ we do Walgreen's drive-thru PCR and have results within an hour. It is a mystery to me why it's been so consistently challenging to get rapid tested in the Bay Area without having to pay $275.
Ah... rapid testing - missed that. Got PCR at cvs (SF area) results less than 24 hours later - but can't count on it being that fast. I just checked cvs and Walgreens for rapid tests (monitored) - shockingly almost none - a bunch of sites in the city but none on the Peninsula.
Don't know if it's b/c PCR is more accurate or more likely - reimbursement by government for PCR but ? not for rapid
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

A very helpful post by tomwhom:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34077942-post282.html

shows worksite labs that will do test with guaranteed 24 hour result for free with insurance! There are 2 sites at sfo -
pilot007 and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:29 am

Got tested at Kaiser yesterday at midday. Got results back today at 6pm. 36 hours almost to the minute. No charge as Kaiser member.
I have never had their test work for International travel though, just fyi. Even when they should have been accepted.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:31 am

It is a mystery to me why it's been so consistently challenging to get rapid tested in the Bay Area without having to pay $275.
No mystery--just look at how much people are willing to pay for a house--it's insane. Same people have the money for travel so why not? It used to be $400.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SamirD
I have never had their test work for International travel though, just fyi. Even when they should have been accepted.
I've used Kaiser test required twice without issue for travel to Australia. First time (last May) no issue at check-in. Second time (~10 days ago) it was approved by the United Travel Ready Center in advance, and I didn't even need to show the results at check-in.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:33 am

I've used Kaiser test required twice without issue for travel to Australia. First time (last May) no issue at check-in. Second time (~10 days ago) it was approved by the United Travel Ready Center in advance, and I didn't even need to show the results at check-in.
Which airport and airline? It always depends on that and the agent across the counter...
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD
Which airport and airline? It always depends on that and the agent across the counter...
Both United. First was SFO. Second was LAX, but as I said it was their "Travel Ready" people that actually looked at the test results and approved it.

For the first one, I was a little worried when I got the test results back and it didn't explicitly state it was a PCR test, only that it used NAAT. I contacted them and a doctor provided me with a brief letter confirming that it was a PCR test and that I had tested negative - however I did not need to use it. For the second time I didn't bother and there were no issues.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

worksite is better than cvs and walgreens!

Originally Posted by estnet
A very helpful post by tomwhom:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34077942-post282.html

shows worksite labs that will do test with guaranteed 24 hour result for free with insurance! There are 2 sites at sfo -
So here are some data points:
cvs - if you can't see results there is no one to help - no way to talk to anyone that will say anything other than look at the web (also states only test time not results which matters for Thailand) Also a few months ago they never posted my results for 4 days - but the results were actually available after 2 days - so without a backup test I would have been denied boarding
walgreens - a week ago I was given a number so I could track my test - test arrived next morning and results available in about 8 hours after that
yesterday - NOT given any tracking number "you'll get an email with the results" - results late afternoon following day
worksite - paid for 24 hour test - test at 11 - got email at 2 saying received at lab, email at 2:30 saying results were available but couldn't see them (spoke to a REAL person who said it was probably a computer glitch ) another email at 9 pm saying results ready - still couldn't see them - called again and person reloaded the results and I could see them - they actually were ready at 2:30 but I guess the other person didn't know how to see it - it's a known IT problem for them and they are working on it. BUT the most important thing was I could always reach a person who actually helped - and the results were super fast (varies depends on demands for testing which is down right now)
So worksite wins - much better customer service - results faster - hope this helps someone.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.