• https://www.flysfo.com/travel-well/covid-19-testing
  • https://www.dc3therapeutics.com/schedule-covid19-testing
Print Wikipost

covid, pcr testing near sfo ????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by docbert
Yes, to Australia which needs a PCR test.

My results didn't even have the sentence you've quoted that mention both PCR and international travel, it just had mention of NAAT. After I received my results and discovered that, I called Kaiser and they setup a phone appointment with a doctor (not mine, as he wasn't available) who called me back about 5 minutes later. Described the issue to him, and he send me a 2-line letter stating that the test was a PCR test and that my results were negative.

That said, I didn't need it. United accepted the print-out of the test results from the Kaiser website without issue, and I didn't need to show the backup letter. If I was doing it again, especially now that it has that extra sentence mentioning both PCR (twice) and travel, I wouldn't bother with the letter.
Thank you for the reply. When was this? When my wife looked into this in April physically going to the airport and talking to a United gate agent the day before our international flight, they specifically said Kaiser results were not accepted. We went to the testing site near SFO that they told us would be accepted and had to get the test done there at a hefty $399/ea.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SamirD
Thank you for the reply. When was this? When my wife looked into this in April physically going to the airport and talking to a United gate agent the day before our international flight, they specifically said Kaiser results were not accepted.
April 8th.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Thank you for the reply. When was this? When my wife looked into this in April physically going to the airport and talking to a United gate agent the day before our international flight, they specifically said Kaiser results were not accepted. We went to the testing site near SFO that they told us would be accepted and had to get the test done there at a hefty $399/ea.
There clearly is a lot of confusion and individual agents seem to be making up rules as they go (also see the QR thread) b/c there is NOT clear guidance. I'm an MD and I have to look up what a test means and if it is the same but titled differently. To expect a gate agent to be able to untangle this isn't reasonable so we're at the mercy of who we run into unless both the testing facility and the airlines "rules" have exactly the same terminology
It would be nice for the agents to have a "cheat sheet" eg NAAT = PCR or for the people making the rule to understand that a RT-PCR and a NAAT PCR just use a slightly different technology but BOTH amplify the sample to see is any virus is present - but I don't see this happening b/c it seems that once a rule is published it is just promulgated over and over without any thought to more correct or understandable wording!
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:26 am

April 8th.
Wow, and we went just a few days after you. It would be nice if the gate keepers didn't always move the goal posts.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by estnet
There clearly is a lot of confusion and individual agents seem to be making up rules as they go (also see the QR thread) b/c there is NOT clear guidance. I'm an MD and I have to look up what a test means and if it is the same but titled differently. To expect a gate agent to be able to untangle this isn't reasonable so we're at the mercy of who we run into unless both the testing facility and the airlines "rules" have exactly the same terminology
It would be nice for the agents to have a "cheat sheet" eg NAAT = PCR or for the people making the rule to understand that a RT-PCR and a NAAT PCR just use a slightly different technology but BOTH amplify the sample to see is any virus is present - but I don't see this happening b/c it seems that once a rule is published it is just promulgated over and over without any thought to more correct or understandable wording!
Thank you for your insight! Yes, definitely is a mess that could have been implemented much better with clearer directions for the public and those enforcing. I flew Qatar in April and saw a lot of whole families denied boarding at check-in. In line I met a couple that had to leave the airport to go get the test and come back, and were lucky that they had left enough time since they flew into SFO to take the international flight. It's chaotic at best, but I think that's one of the things that are purposely in place to discourage traveling since it is the primary way the pandemic has been spread all over the globe. But imo there shouldn't be this 'game' a foot in the first place--either stop all flights and lock it down hard, or put consistent, precise workflows in place and enforce them.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah, this is exactly why I went to the extra step of getting an MD from Kaiser to give me a letter stating it was PCR test and that I was negative, in very clear English. As I said above I didn't end up needing it, but it removed any chance that I was going to have issues with a check-in agent who didn't understand the difference (or not!) between terms like NAAT and PCR. Annoying that I had to do it, but a good safety net.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:52 pm

Yeah, this is exactly why I went to the extra step of getting an MD from Kaiser to give me a letter stating it was PCR test and that I was negative, in very clear English. As I said above I didn't end up needing it, but it removed any chance that I was going to have issues with a check-in agent who didn't understand the difference (or not!) between terms like NAAT and PCR. Annoying that I had to do it, but a good safety net.
I am considering doing the same except that the gatekeeper may just disregard the letter and insist on the report stating RT-PCR and then it's running at the last second again...
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by richiezc
Also it should be covered as they bill it as a diagnostic test: "Diagnosis: Contact with and (suspected) exposure to covid-19 Z20.822"

Quote directly from my insurance:
"We’re covering the full cost of diagnostic tests for COVID-19, as long as the test is ordered by a health care provider and meets CDC guidelines."
Closing the loop on this, insurance did indeed pay for it w/ $0 copay. They billed $4XX and paid $2XX after their negotiated discount.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Closing the loop on this, insurance did indeed pay for it w/ $0 copay. They billed $4XX and paid $2XX after their negotiated discount.
Thanks for the update but the problem is every insurance makes their own rules about what they will cover
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:25 pm

Thanks for the update but the problem is every insurance makes their own rules about what they will cover
I think almost every insurance company is currently covering it per federal guiadnace, I have BCBS and my GF has Aetna and both paid.

See: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-r...nostic-testing
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:14 pm

GoHealth Urgent Care (Market Street, San Francisco) - Review

I didn't get tested at the airport, did it at the location on market street in SF:

They have a lot of locations, just make sure it offers the 15 min rapid result

No upfront payment was required

Hi,
My international flight is with United Airlines from SFO airport. Can someone please confirm their experience with GoHealth Urgent Care (Market Street, San Francisco)-
1) Site mentions "COVID-19 Rapid Test Available", is it the same as RT-PCR (the one required for international travel)?
2) How much they charge? Do I need to bring my insurance card and they bill directly to insurance OR I pay with my credit card upfront and later, submit the claim to insurance?
3) Did the airline (if anyone used with United Airlines) accept the results? Was the result clear enough to mention RT-PCR? Any issue/ concern?
4) Site mentions a 15-20mins turnaround time. How was your experience? Do I need to wait for paper results, or will they email?

United Airline recommends SFO Airport XpressCheck for RT-PCR.
1) Is it okay to keep Xpresscheck appointment same day as my travel (about 5-6hrs prior to my flight) as my backup option?
2) Address for XpressCheck is Terminal 3 – Sfooz, Room T3.1. Is this after or before security check? Is it accessible from international terminal or I need to go to domestic terminal?

Thanks in advance
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by cfxa2000; Jul 11, 2021 at 8:23 pm
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by cfxa2000
Hi,
My international flight is with United Airlines from SFO airport. Can someone please confirm their experience with GoHealth Urgent Care (Market Street, San Francisco)-
1) Site mentions "COVID-19 Rapid Test Available", is it the same as RT-PCR (the one required for international travel)?
2) How much they charge? Do I need to bring my insurance card and they bill directly to insurance OR I pay with my credit card upfront and later, submit the claim to insurance?
3) Did the airline (if anyone used with United Airlines) accept the results? Was the result clear enough to mention RT-PCR? Any issue/ concern?
4) Site mentions a 15-20mins turnaround time. How was your experience? Do I need to wait for paper results, or will they email?

1) Is it okay to keep Xpresscheck appointment same day as my travel (about 5-6hrs prior to my flight) as my backup option?
2) Address for XpressCheck is Terminal 3 – Sfooz, Room T3.1. Is this after or before security check? Is it accessible from international terminal or I need to go to domestic terminal?

Thanks in advance
1) yes it NAAT which is a PCR test, rapid result just means they have a machine on site that can do the PCR test in 15 mins
2) bills insurance directly, mine was covered 100% w/ no copay
3) n/a
4) it literally was 15 mins, you get a hardcopy printout and you can access it online later
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:24 pm

Hi,

Thanks in advance
My wife's experience was from April and was on Lufthansa that had check-in with United. ymmv.
1. It was not in our case, and we were told to use the recommended one near the airport. We didn't have much of a choice since the flight was the next day.
2. See the web site. In most tests we have gotten including this one, insurance was never really asked for. In this case, filing a claim manually is the only choice.
3. United specifically told my wife that the results from the on-site test (which I believe was also go health at the time) was NOT sufficient as it was not RT-PCR and she would be denied boarding.
4. Generally for fast turnaround times like these, they hit the mark. The only situation in which they don't is when they lost the sample somehow.

There is still a lot of confusion in relation to what tests are accepted on paper and by the airlines. We have another intl flight on United this week and still have some mixed opinions on if an RT-PCR is truly necessary. I plan to go to the airport and ask at the ticket counter again. This way, we have no surprises (hopefully).
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:55 pm

My wife's experience was from April and was on Lufthansa that had check-in with United. ymmv.
1. It was not in our case, and we were told to use the recommended one near the airport. We didn't have much of a choice since the flight was the next day.
2. See the web site. In most tests we have gotten including this one, insurance was never really asked for. In this case, filing a claim manually is the only choice.
3. United specifically told my wife that the results from the on-site test (which I believe was also go health at the time) was NOT sufficient as it was not RT-PCR and she would be denied boarding.
4. Generally for fast turnaround times like these, they hit the mark. The only situation in which they don't is when they lost the sample somehow.

There is still a lot of confusion in relation to what tests are accepted on paper and by the airlines. We have another intl flight on United this week and still have some mixed opinions on if an RT-PCR is truly necessary. I plan to go to the airport and ask at the ticket counter again. This way, we have no surprises (hopefully).
Thanks a lot - SamirD and richiezc.
I think I will keep GoHealth appointment about 1-2days prior and also keep XpressCheck appointment for last day as my backup in case United rejects/is confused with NAAT results.
I just checked the United Airlines website, and they do categorically mention that the NAAT test is accepted, but you never know how much knowledge the person has at the United counter!!
The COVID-19 test must:
  • Be a viral test (NAAT or antigen) with a “negative” or “COVID-19 not detected” result (test results marked “invalid” will not be accepted)
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by cfxa2000; Jul 12, 2021 at 9:03 am
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:11 am

Thanks a lot - SamirD and richiezc.
I think I will keep GoHealth appointment about 1-2days prior and also keep XpressCheck appointment for last day as my backup in case United rejects/is confused with NAAT results.
I just checked the United Airlines website, and they do categorically mention that the NAAT test is accepted, but you never know how much knowledge the person has at the United counter!!
The COVID-19 test must:
  • Be a viral test (NAAT or antigen) with a “negative” or “COVID-19 not detected” result (test results marked “invalid” will not be accepted)
You're welcome. Keep in mind that even if United says NAAT is fine, your destination may have an RT-PCR requirement and there will be confusion. I'm going to the airport in a few hours to get a clear answer from ticketing on this exact situation that I'm facing for a flight on Thursday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.