Wiki Posts
Search

SFO arrival quarantine

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
According to flysfo website, Monterey is not included in the mandatory quarantine requirement. I'm just trying to confirm that here. You are saying Monterey airport is a part of the "bay area" - maybe so by some definition - but is that the case for flying into MRY?
It can be confusing. For purposes of evaluating regional ICU capacity and the spread of covid, the state created unique zones and moved counties into them. The Bay Area zone included the normal nine Bay Area counties, with Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties grouped into the list. The other zones up here were greater Sacramento (which included South Lake Tahoe - you can see how wide the zones were - and went as north as Butte and Plumas County which are rural/agricultural), and Northern California, which included the remaining 11 rural counties up to the Oregon border. They're pretty large zones.

Right now most of California, including Monterey County, is in the purple tier (53 of 58 counties are purple). That allows outdoor dining, retail to operate at 25%, as well as reopening of hair salons and allowing hotels to operate with restrictions (no indoor dining, for instance, would impact hotels, as well as restrictions on health clubs only operating outdoors and pools and spas that must close).
https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

Two counties, Santa Clara and San Francisco, which are in the same purple tier as the Bay Area zone and most of the state, have added on additional restrictions, beyond the purple tier requirements, for those with destinations in their counties. If you were planning on spending a couple days in San Jose or San Francisco, you might not be able to check into a hotel unless you meet one of the exceptions (like being an essential worker). Monterey County has not added on any similar hotel restrictions. I checked the county website this morning and the front page has a link to the state's health order. They have not added any county-specific restrictions or hotel quarantines like San Francisco and Santa Clara County.
https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/govern...covid-response

Here's what the current San Francisco County health order says about hotels for those with a destination there (again, Monterey County has not added this language):

Consistent with the SF travel quarantine order (and as long as it remains in effect) hotels and other lodging facilities may not accept or honor reservations for people from outside the Bay Area (including from other states or countries) for non-essential travel unless: The reservation is for at least 10 days (the minimum time period required for quarantine), and The people identified in the reservation will quarantine in the hotel or lodging entity for at least 10 days.
https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/fil...of-Changes.pdf
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung
Who knows? Maybe by contract.

That's definitely not true. At the minimum - a handful of criminal cases are actually prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney Office in San Francisco.

I stand by mine as well.
California state crimes would be prosecuted by the authorities in the jurisdiction where they occurred, in this case, San Mateo; federal crimes are prosecuted within the jurisdiction of the US Attorney's Office in San Francisco, which includes San Mateo.
tom911 and nnn like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
...within the jurisdiction of the US Attorney's Office in San Francisco, which includes San Mateo.
The Jurisdiction of the US Attorney for the Northern District of California stretches all the way down from the Oregon border to Monterey County.

Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
lots of lawyers on SF FT....

David
lwildernorva and Zorak like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
The Jurisdiction of the US Attorney for the Northern District of California stretches all the way down from the Oregon border to Monterey County.

As I learned years ago on a drive from San Jose to just inside Oregon, there's an awful lot of territory--although not an awful lot of people--north of the Bay Area, which is what most people in the remainder of the US think of when they're talking about Northern California.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
California state crimes would be prosecuted by the authorities in the jurisdiction where they occurred, in this case, San Mateo;
That's only partial true. The majority of the state crimes indeed would be prosecuted by the authorities in the jurisdiction where they occurred. However, it does not preclude the Attorney General to file charges without consulting the local DA.

For example, if an entity in SFO is cheating on aircraft fuel tax, this would be prosecuted by the AG instead of the DA.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:44 pm

Who knows? Maybe by contract.
The San Mateo County Sheriff's website does list quite a few contract cities, as well as providing contract law enforcement services for SAMTRANS. I can't find anything on their website that San Mateo County detectives assigned to the airport are working under contract because the airport is in San Francisco County, as you state.

I read about a sexual assault conviction at the SFO Grand Hyatt construction site today, from 2019, handled by San Mateo County prosecutors. Why would they prosecute a case if you say the airport is in San Francisco County? Another contract? Would love to see some links with contracts if you have them. I just can't find them.

I should also note in my research that the San Mateo County Health Department handles restaurant inspections at SFO. The most recent inspection of the Giants Clubhouse in the UA terminal was in October (though they would have been closed). Sure seems to be a lot of San Mateo County departments operating in what you say is San Francisco County.

I did run across some interesting 1950 litigation that says marsh land was being acquired by San Francisco in San Mateo County for an airport as far back as 1930. It concerns taxation of the property by San Mateo County and the tax status of land purchased in San Mateo County by another jurisdiction that was improved to become an airport. Nothing in it about county boundaries changing.
The complaint alleges in substance that beginning in 1930 the city acquired large tracts of marsh, tide and submerged lands in San Mateo County for the purpose of utilizing the site as an airport
https://law.justia.com/cases/califor...2d/36/196.html

Can you comment on how and when the airport terrain was moved into San Francisco County? Was it after they started purchasing marshlands in 1930? Did it require an act of the California legislature to do that? Did they trade land with San Mateo County? Was it a written agreement between the Board of Supervisors in both counties? I'd love to learn more about the process of one county extending it's boundaries to a piece of land in another county that is not contiguous. My searches have proved fruitless.

Also, have not been able to find an official map on the San Francisco County or San Mateo County website showing the airport area is in San Francisco County. Do you have a link from one of those sites supporting your claim that the airport is located in San Francisco County?
nnn likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's only partial true. The majority of the state crimes indeed would be prosecuted by the authorities in the jurisdiction where they occurred. However, it does not preclude the Attorney General to file charges without consulting the local DA.
Cases prosecuted by the California Attorney General are filed and tried in the jurisdictions where the alleged crimes were committed.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Can we get back to the OP's quarantine question and let the jurisdiction ligitgators establish their own thread?

David
​​​​​​
OP doesn't need to quarantine upon reaching SFO. End thread.
Boraxo and DELee like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tom911
The San Mateo County Sheriff's website does list quite a few contract cities, as well as providing contract law enforcement services for SAMTRANS. I can't find anything on their website that San Mateo County detectives assigned to the airport are working under contract because the airport is in San Francisco County, as you state.

I read about a sexual assault conviction at the SFO Grand Hyatt construction site today, from 2019, handled by San Mateo County prosecutors. Why would they prosecute a case if you say the airport is in San Francisco County? Another contract? Would love to see some links with contracts if you have them. I just can't find them.

I should also note in my research that the San Mateo County Health Department handles restaurant inspections at SFO. The most recent inspection of the Giants Clubhouse in the UA terminal was in October (though they would have been closed). Sure seems to be a lot of San Mateo County departments operating in what you say is San Francisco County.

I did run across some interesting 1950 litigation that says marsh land was being acquired by San Francisco in San Mateo County for an airport as far back as 1930. It concerns taxation of the property by San Mateo County and the tax status of land purchased in San Mateo County by another jurisdiction that was improved to become an airport. Nothing in it about county boundaries changing.

https://law.justia.com/cases/califor...2d/36/196.html

Can you comment on how and when the airport terrain was moved into San Francisco County? Was it after they started purchasing marshlands in 1930? Did it require an act of the California legislature to do that? Did they trade land with San Mateo County? Was it a written agreement between the Board of Supervisors in both counties? I'd love to learn more about the process of one county extending it's boundaries to a piece of land in another county that is not contiguous. My searches have proved fruitless.

Also, have not been able to find an official map on the San Francisco County or San Mateo County website showing the airport area is in San Francisco County. Do you have a link from one of those sites supporting your claim that the airport is located in San Francisco County?
I recall that on my old AAA maps, there would be a dotted line connecting the CCSF limits in a thin strip near the bayshore down to SFO, and including the SFO footprint in the CCSF limits. From where that derived, I've no idea.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:49 am

Just makes me more curious about the process of one county acquiring land in another and changing its county boundaries due to a land purchase. Could Solano County, as an example, close the Vacaville Airport and go over and buy the Concord Airport, and declare that the airport is now in Solano County, while having Contra Costa County provide health department inspections and court services? Could the process be that simple? Just hard for me to imagine that the CA legislature would not be involved in remapping county boundaries. I just can't find the historical record showing how the airport territory was moved into San Francisco County and removed from San Mateo County, or any documents showing why San Mateo County provides so many services if the airport is within San Francisco County. Should add I did find one contract where SFO pays San Mateo County for paramedic/fire dispatch services, rather than operating their own dispatch center at the airport. Those types of contracts are pretty common in California - one example is the California Maritime Academy police being dispatched under contract by Benicia PD.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:23 pm

From an airport bond offering in 2020:
The Airport, which is owned and operated by the City, is the principal commercial service airport for the San Francisco Bay Area. The Airport is located 14 miles south of downtown San Francisco in an unincorporated area of San Mateo County between the Bayshore Freeway (U.S. Highway 101) and the San Francisco Bay
https://www.flysfo.com/sites/default..._8-31-2020.pdf
TWA884 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Just hard for me to imagine that the CA legislature would not be involved in remapping county boundaries.
It did in this case. Per my informal research, the "original" San Francisco County went all the way down South, including areas now considered as San Mateo County.

However, the CA Legislature created a new San Francisco, i.e. the current City and County of San Francisco, some time after CA was granted statehood

I just can't find the historical record showing how the airport territory was moved into San Francisco County and removed from San Mateo County, or any documents showing why San Mateo County provides so many services if the airport is within San Francisco County.
They were created in the late 1800s, which would be very difficult to find from the internet.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:46 pm

So are you backing away from your prior statement now that you've done some research? Can't clearly tell from what you've posted. Are you agreeing that the airport property is currently located in San Mateo County? I've posted a number of current links to San Mateo County and SFO resources that list it in San Mateo County.

SFO is indeed within the boundary of City and County of San Francisco, not County of San Mateo
San Mateo County was created in 1856, so I can see that coming from a piece of what would have been San Francisco County. The county creation date is on the county website, though not much more history than that unless you go to wiikipedia, and I'm hesitant to use that as a source for accurate county history and have not cited it here.

The SFO Museum does have a copy of an ordinance from 1927 that reads: "authorizing and directing the Mayor and the clerk of the Board of Supervisors to execute a lease in behalf of the City and County of San Francisco with the Mills Estate Incorporated for certain lands situated in the County of San Mateo, State of California, required for airport purposes." It was for 150 acres. The airport was initially known as Mills Field.
https://millsfield.sfomuseum.org/objects/1511910183/

There is also a deed for for various land purchases, including from the Mills Estate, from 1930-1940, recorded in "official records of San Mateo County".
https://millsfield.sfomuseum.org/objects/1511910175/

If these leases or purchases were in San Mateo County between 1927-1940, would they not still be in San Mateo County today absent newer legislation moving the land into San Francisco County?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:47 am

The county creation date is on the county website, though not much more history than that unless you go to wiikipedia, and I'm hesitant to use that as a source for accurate county history and have not cited it here.
Here are a couple of articles from the California State Association of Counties:And two more:

History and Facts of California Counties

Defining San Francisco: How Our City Became a City (Part III)
In 1855... the legislators ultimately chose San Mateo as the name for the new county. A line drawn westerly from just south of today’s Candlestick Point through the south end of Laguna de la Merced (Lake Merced) marked the new southern boundary of San Francisco.
tom911 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.