Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO layover, international to international with United, how do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

I've got an international layover at SFO with United on April 1st, from Mexico City to Papeete on a single ticket. Both flights usually land and depart at the international terminal, the one from Mexico City at G1 and to Papeete at G6 so right next door.

What I want to know is, do I need to go through immigration and customs or can I just walk to G6 as soon as I land? This will be my first time traveling through the US so I'm rather clueless. Also I have a valid ESTA and all no worries and 4h between the flights.

I'm getting mixed answers from the internet, some people saying that I can just walk to G6, others saying that I need to clear immigration and customs first, I'm at loss.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You will have to clear US customs & immigration, and then go through security again.

(There is an exception for arrivals from Preclearance airports, where you go through US border formalities at the departing airport and then arrive in the US as if it were a domestic US flight, but Mexico City is not one of those locations.)
Old Feb 5, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You may wish to monitor your situation closely, as French Polynesia has closed to tourists, and (even if this is not tourism travel) I'd expect quite a number of flight cancellations as a result.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No such thing as an international layover. You will enter the US and depart the US.

After customs, if you have checked bags, you will drop them off, head back through security and then out to your departure gate. Don't forget that in order to enter the US, you will need a compliant negative Covid-19 test and an Attestation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.