FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Clearing US Customs at SFO in Covid Days and Layover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/2020672-clearing-us-customs-sfo-covid-days-layover.html)

FlyingSloth Jun 30, 2020 1:20 am

Clearing US Customs at SFO in Covid Days and Layover

I'm curious what it's like clearing customs these days at SFO? Are there long lines? I have a pretty exhausting long 23 hour trip in economy from Singapore to San Francisco. Just curious what to expect if anyone has been to SFO recently.

I have Priority Pass, and I was hoping to maybe visit a lounge. As far as I can tell, the two Priority Pass restaurants are closed. Does anyone know if they will reopen by mid-July? I'm not sure what the local legal restrictions are at the moment, though I did read at some point that restaurants in California reopened, but on the Priority Pass page it still shows "temporarily closed." I would be curious to know just for logistics.

I'm a U.S citizen, but I have been outside of the country for a long time. If I remember correctly, even I'm transferring from international to domestic, the U.S is still the only country that requires you to pick up your luggage and recheck it again? You also have to go through security before proceeding to domestic? That's how I remember it but don't know if anything has improved. Probably I won't wear a belt on the flight that day and I'll just keep anything metal not in my pockets to save time because after the long trip, I likely will be almost sleep walking by that point.

I may as well also ask.. I'm transferring to United. I picked the United connection because they are still using 737-900 metal, whereas Alaska just downgraded from 737-900s to E75s. Does United even downgrade the size of planes at the last minute? I'm hoping to fly on the larger bird for social distancing. I know United is not keeping the middle seats open. Just hoping the larger plane will be more comfortable since I already have problems with fear of flying, and due to the trip length will feel sleepless at that time.

Anything else to know about the experience at SFO arriving from overseas during COVID and transferring to domestic? Since the lounges seem closed, where is a good place to sit social distancing for an hour or two while waiting for the next flight?

Thank you so much in advance!

JDiver Jun 30, 2020 11:19 am

Moved to the San Francisco forum for the best possibilities of informed responses.

JDiver, Moderator

garykung Jun 30, 2020 11:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth (Post 32495608)
I'm curious what it's like clearing customs these days at SFO? Are there long lines? I have a pretty exhausting long 23 hour trip in economy from Singapore to San Francisco. Just curious what to expect if anyone has been to SFO recently.

Mostly same as before. The line won't be long because many stop coming to the U.S.

I have Priority Pass, and I was hoping to maybe visit a lounge.

Not going to happen. PP options in SFO are inadequate even before COVID-19.

I'm a U.S citizen, but I have been outside of the country for a long time. If I remember correctly, even I'm transferring from international to domestic, the U.S is still the only country that requires you to pick up your luggage and recheck it again? You also have to go through security before proceeding to domestic? That's how I remember it but don't know if anything has improved. Probably I won't wear a belt on the flight that day and I'll just keep anything metal not in my pockets to save time because after the long trip, I likely will be almost sleep walking by that point.

Let's focus on the U.S. for now. And yes - that is still the way.

I may as well also ask.. I'm transferring to United. I picked the United connection because they are still using 737-900 metal, whereas Alaska just downgraded from 737-900s to E75s. Does United even downgrade the size of planes at the last minute? I'm hoping to fly on the larger bird for social distancing. I know United is not keeping the middle seats open. Just hoping the larger plane will be more comfortable since I already have problems with fear of flying, and due to the trip length will feel sleepless at that time.

They may. But it will be route dependent.

Anything else to know about the experience at SFO arriving from overseas during COVID and transferring to domestic? Since the lounges seem closed, where is a good place to sit social distancing for an hour or two while waiting for the next flight?

Don't expect leaving the airport.

Thank you so much in advance![/QUOTE]