FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   SF MUNI To cut over 70% of service on all lines. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/2015164-sf-muni-cut-over-70-service-all-lines.html)

squeakr Apr 5, 2020 7:59 pm

SF MUNI To cut over 70% of service on all lines.

MUNI The San Francisco public transit system is cutting over 70Percent of their capacity – they have not announced which lines will stay open.

They are trying to maximize lines where people do not have access to cars, and for workers who need to get to essential services like hospitals etc.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/muni...than-70-lines/

goalie Apr 5, 2020 9:12 pm

It’s gonna be bad :(

goalie Apr 6, 2020 3:25 pm

The two bus line that I use, 31 Balboa (my street) and the 43 Masonic (down the block) are gone :(

goalie Apr 7, 2020 10:15 am

Even tho it doesn't show on 'The new Muni Map" :(, I think the 43 Masonic is running as I thought I heard it as it's a diesel bus so I looked at nextbus and it showed “arriving” at Turk/Masonic so I went out on my balcony and I saw it arrive

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...dcbb70b9c2.jpg

minhaoxue Apr 7, 2020 11:37 pm

I am flying into SFO in 2 weeks and usually take Bart to Daly City then transfer to the 28, 19th Ave. I can’t believe their cutting the 28?

lmwong1977 Apr 8, 2020 1:38 am

Sorry legacyins - they're cutting things down a lot and the news segennts about it noted it can get crowded. Hopefully where you need to get to is still possible, L & N cross 19th ave. at one point and M is on 19th for a few stops. Otherwise renting a car? Lyft/Uber/Taxis supposedly are still working but not as many drivers. There's barely any traffic and parking might be better depending on where you're headed. There's also all those scooters and bikes shares - if you have the Chase Reserve card, read you can rent the Lyft ones for free (three 30 minutes trips per month) .

Also BART will be running only every 30 minutes.
https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2020/news20200225

Starting Wednesday April 8, trains will run every 30 minutes Monday-Friday. BART now closes at 9pm. Saturday and Sunday 8am-9pm..
https://www.sfmta.com/projects/covid...ments-response

Beginning Wednesday, April 8
  • Muni service will be further reduced; remaining service will focus on our 17 most-used lines. This core network will provide service within one mile of all San Franciscans. This approach allows Muni to continue to serve San Francisco’s medical facilities and focuses on equity to ensure service for our customers most reliant on transit. The frequency of buses will vary by line so that lines experiencing some crowding will have more frequent service than others.
  • The 17 core routes that will remain in service, with some modifications include: N Judah Bus, L Taraval Bus, T Third Bus, 1 California, 8 Bayshore, 9 San Bruno, 14 Mission, 14R Mission Rapid, 19 Polk, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 25 Treasure Island, 29 Sunset, 38 Geary, 38R Geary Rapid, 44 O’Shaughnessy, 49 Van Ness/Mission
  • Late-night Owl service will begin at a new, earlier time starting every night at 10:00 p.m. instead of 1:00 a.m. All regular Owl routes will operate with the exception of the 5 Fulton and 48 Quintara/24th Street, which will be temporarily discontinued. The following lines will run 24 hours a day or provide special Owl Service:
    • L Owl*, N Owl*, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero*, 25 Treasure Island, 38 Geary, 44 O'Shaughnessy*, 90 San Bruno Owl, 91 3rd Street/19th Avenue Owl (*Owl route is different than daytime route)
    • See the COVID-19 Muni Owl Service Plan map for route details

garykung Apr 8, 2020 4:15 am

Originally Posted by legacyins (Post 32274548)
I am flying into SFO in 2 weeks and usually take Bart to Daly City then transfer to the 28, 19th Ave. I can’t believe their cutting the 28?

28 (and its auxiliary route 28R) is primarily a school shuttle. With the school closures, their ridership have been significantly lowered.

Also - many working/living in Sunset do have access to a car.

goalie Apr 8, 2020 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 32272778)
Even tho it doesn't show on 'The new Muni Map" :(, I think the 43 Masonic is running as I thought I heard it as it's a diesel bus so I looked at nextbus and it showed “arriving” at Turk/Masonic so I went out on my balcony and I saw it arrive

Bolding mine: Looks like it was a one-off as the 43 Masonic is in fact gone :( (and that sucks for folks going to/from UCSF :()

minhaoxue Apr 8, 2020 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32274926)
28 (and its auxiliary route 28R) is primarily a school shuttle. With the school closures, their ridership have been significantly lowered.

Also - many working/living in Sunset do have access to a car.

yes, I do own a car but left it at my home in the Sunset before I took my trip. As ImWong kindly pointed out, I can take Bart to Balboa Park then transfer to the M to West portal and then transfer to the L.

garykung Apr 8, 2020 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 32276262)
Bolding mine: Looks like it was a one-off as the 43 Masonic is in fact gone :( (and that sucks for folks going to/from UCSF :()

You still have N (I know it is not ideal to walk up the hill. But it is better than not be able to get there).

Originally Posted by legacyins (Post 32276594)
As ImWong kindly pointed out, I can take Bart to Balboa Park then transfer to the M to West portal and then transfer to the L.

M is not a part of the core service plan (M is also a school shuttle as well). So there is no M. Balboa Park currently is only served by BART, 8, 29, and 49.

If L works for you, I would suggest catching the bus at any SF downtown BART station instead. At least, only 1 transfer will be needed. The plan also calls for reduced service as well.

Ocn Vw 1K Apr 8, 2020 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by legacyins (Post 32276594)
yes, I do own a car but left it at my home in the Sunset before I took my trip. As ImWong kindly pointed out, I can take Bart to Balboa Park then transfer to the M to West portal and then transfer to the L.

Is that the "M" as in "missing"? :D Looks like the M and K lines have been axed in this Muni slash-and-burn plan 3.0.

I'd suggest BART to Balboa Park, transfer to the 29-line, and change to the L-Taraval Bus, at Sunset Blvd. and Taraval

garykung Apr 8, 2020 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K (Post 32276985)
I'd suggest BART to Balboa Park, transfer to the 29-line, and change to the L-Taraval Bus, at Sunset Blvd. and Taraval

Why not going to downtown and catch the L bus directly instead, as I suggested above? OP will be on a BART train anyway.

Ocn Vw 1K Apr 8, 2020 4:46 pm

Either plan would probably work about the same. Depends on how far legacyins' final destination is from Taraval and Sunset Blvd.

garykung Apr 8, 2020 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K (Post 32277041)
Either plan would probably work about the same. Depends on how far legacyins' final destination is from Taraval and Sunset Blvd.

FWIW - I won't even bother with 29. Even during regular service, it takes a long time for a bus to come.

minhaoxue Apr 8, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions. I thought the M bus was still running but I guess not. The 29 Sunset would work well as I am about a 15 minute walk from Sunset Blvd.