Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Originally Posted by SamirD
Important takeaways:
No mention of vetrinarians in San Francisco area. Would assume they remain open for those that need care for their pets.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:04 pm

San Francisco announced curfew

We were going drive up to SF for a few days but decided to cancel last week. We would have been stuck at a hotel for days!
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...needs-n1160916
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You could have visited Napa or Sonoma. They're open for business.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Bay Area "Shelter In Place"

The order now adopted by seven Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz) bans all non-essential travel effective midnight tonight. Agencies are vague on enforcement efforts, if any. I will be curious to hear how this will be enforced, if at all, with respect to departures from the three major Bay Area airports (OAK, SFO, SJC). Will passengers be asked to justify their travel, or will it be the honor system?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's their definition of travel? For example, are car trips included?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's their definition of travel? For example, are car trips included?
Travel means any form of travel. You can only leave your residence for a specifically authorized purpose. Health Officer Order
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
About to land in Oakland
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
About to land in Oakland
Welcome to the Hotel California.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Local ABC: https://abc7news.com/health/coronavi...order/6019152/

What is considered 'essential travel?'

• Travel related to essential activities
  • Travel to care for elderly, children, minors, those with disabilities or other "vulnerable" people
  • Travel to schools or universities to receive meals
  • Travel to home residence from an outside area
  • Travel required by law or court order

SFGate/SF Chronicle: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-15135381.php

WILL POLICE BE ENFORCING THE ORDER?

Yes, but with a "compassionate, common sense approach," said San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott. "We are asking for voluntary compliance. Yes, by law, enforcement is an option, but that is not our desire. That is not what we intend to do," Scott said. "We intend to adhere to the spirit of what that's about in keeping people safe and keeping this virus from spreading.

[...]

WHAT HAPPENS IF I LEAVE MY HOME IN A SHELTER IN PLACE COUNTY?

It's unclear. According to [San Francisco Director of Public Health Dr. Grant Colfax], people who leave their county starting on March 17 will technically be out of compliance.

"At this time, in compliance with the order, people who leave the county during this time — except for essential travel — would be out of compliance coming back between now and April 7," he said on Monday. "People now currently out of the county would be able to return."

However, there is no indication from CHP that checkpoints would be set up.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tom911
You could have visited Napa or Sonoma. They're open for business.
But the wineries are closed pursuant to the governor's order.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I just wonder if this will lead to setup of 'Neighborhood Committees' enforcing the ban like it is in China but twist of US realities - that it will be 'well regulated militia' on ground...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agencies are vague on enforcement efforts, if any. I will be curious to hear how this will be enforced, if at all, with respect to departures from the three major Bay Area airports (OAK, SFO, SJC). Will passengers be asked to justify their travel, or will it be the honor system?
San Mateo police department isn't vague about this at all: ?Police Department Response to COVID-19? from San Mateo, CA Police Department : Nixle
As for the San Mateo Police Department, education will be our primary goal, leaving enforcement as our last option. We have a tremendous partnership with our San Mateo community and our hope is to collaborate, ensuring compliance through education. As a last resort, officers have the option to issue a misdemeanor citation and/or arrest for non-compliance. Fines range from $50-$1,000 per incident. Regarding police operations, effective today, the San Mateo Police Department will be increasing patrols and the number of officers on the street to help maintain order and public safety for all San Mateans.
Personally, I'm happy to read this as I believe it is the right response at a time like this.

And also if you read the entire real order (not just the fluff media version), it spells everything out quite clearly in terms of travel and what will be open/closed:
https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/fil...r-in-Place.pdf
h. For the purposes of this Order, “Essential Travel” includes travel for any of
the following purposes. Individuals engaged in any Essential Travel must
comply with all Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section.
i. Any travel related to the provision of or access to Essential Activities,
Essential Governmental Functions, Essential Businesses, or Minimum
Basic Operations.
ii. Travel to care for elderly, minors, dependents, persons with
disabilities, or other vulnerable persons.
iii. Travel to or from educational institutions for purposes of receiving
materials for distance learning, for receiving meals, and any other
related services.
iv. Travel to return to a place of residence from outside the jurisdiction.
v. Travel required by law enforcement or court order.
vi. Travel required for non-residents to return to their place of residence
outside the County. Individuals are strongly encouraged to verify
that their transportation out of the County remains available and
functional prior to commencing such travel.
Airlines (and taxis) are considered Essential Businesses under section f.xvii of the SF version of this order (which the San Mateo one is almost identical to).
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by invisible
I just wonder if this will lead to setup of 'Neighborhood Committees' enforcing the ban like it is in China but twist of US realities - that it will be 'well regulated militia' on ground...
After reading what the actual health order spells out, and what the San Mateo police plan to do, I don't think anything like that will be necessary at all.

I think the best thing anyone can do is read the whole health order--it even specifically says that you need to do so:
Please read this Order carefully. Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a
misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety
Code § 120295, et seq.; California Penal Code §§ 69, 148(a)(1); San Francisco
Administrative Code section 7.17(b).)
The media did a big disservice not mentioning this. Their 'executive summary' sucks and brings more questions than it answers imo.

Download the pdf for your county and read it end to end. It spells everything out and generally is a lot more accommodating then the media would like to convey (like plumbers and laundromats being essential businesses). Media causing a panic like this is really in bad taste at a time like this. My wife even caused me to panic until I read this whole thing.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:20 am

San Mateo police department isn't vague about this at all:
Not sure what that has to do with my question, which is whether there will be any enforcement at Bay Area airports. Certainly San Mateo police have nothing to say on that subject, since they have no jurisdiction at SFO, SJC, or OAK.

And thanks, but I've read the media reports and am quite familiar with the terms of the Order itself.
Download the pdf for your county
The terms of the order are the same for all seven counties.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure what that has to do with my question, which is whether there will be any enforcement at Bay Area airports. Certainly San Mateo police have nothing to say on that subject, since they have no jurisdiction at SFO, SJC, or OAK.

And thanks, but I've read the media reports and am quite familiar with the terms of the Order itself.
Enforcement of what? The entire order spells out exactly what is enforced, where it is enforced, and how it is enforced. Read it again. If you're not understanding something specific post specific questions.

It is very clear to me that anyone that needs to fly for any of the defined travel reasons can without restriction and that the airports won't be closed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.