Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
At least so far, the exceptions for the shelter in place orders are what you might reasonably expect. Perhaps they will tighten up a lot, but at the moment you can still go out and do the essential things. The key is, only those essential things, and to the full extent possible, at a safe distance from others.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is rather like Christmas Day around these parts ... except more places for take out open, and no movie theaters open. Although it is only "day 3," it appears to be a quite high level of compliance, and I don't expect there will be any actual citations issued. A couple of weeks from now, who knows.

What I have found remarkable is that all the turkeys that wander around the streets, even typically so brave as to cross high-traffic intersections and clog traffic, have not been seen this week.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is rather like Christmas Day around these parts ... except more places for take out open, and no movie theaters open. Although it is only "day 3," it appears to be a quite high level of compliance, and I don't expect there will be any actual citations issued. A couple of weeks from now, who knows.

What I have found remarkable is that all the turkeys that wander around the streets, even typically so brave as to cross high-traffic intersections and clog traffic, have not been seen this week.
Great to hear. My wife is just going for a walk once a day to try to get in her steps and it's a ghost town.

Good to see the turkeys not wandering as they would become someone's dinner in times like this, hahahahaha.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:54 pm

A couple of weeks from now, who knows.
This is the great unknown, here and elsewhere. For millions of people, these restrictions are extremely painful, financially. At some point it would get to the point of wide scale noncompliance.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
This is the great unknown, here and elsewhere. For millions of people, these restrictions are extremely painful, financially. At some point it would get to the point of wide scale noncompliance.
probably starting with the Speakeasy Barber Shop.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
probably starting with the Speakeasy Barber Shop.
with all the grocery shopping, I think it’ll be hard for me to return to restaurants. I’m sympathetic and also fear that most gift cards will become worthless as small businesses close. Commercial rents are brutal.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
with all the grocery shopping, I think it’ll be hard for me to return to restaurants. I’m sympathetic and also fear that most gift cards will become worthless as small businesses close. Commercial rents are brutal.
There are some programs rolling out to help businesses weather the storm.

It's not any easier for the landlords in these cases either as banks as of now don't have any relief either. I'm dealing with this exact situation in my work.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamirD
There are some programs rolling out to help businesses weather the storm.

It's not any easier for the landlords in these cases either as banks as of now don't have any relief either. I'm dealing with this exact situation in my work.
There are going to be, contrary to popular San Francisco belief, many examples of "not all tenants are good" and "not all landlords are bad."
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As seen in Albany today.
(Yes, there is an Albany in California.)
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:30 pm

Yes, always nice to mix politics into a medical pandemic.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are the homeless supposed to do?
This is the only time in my 30 years of living in California when it’s probably safer for the homeless to be outdoors than in a good homeless shelter. The problem with the later is how close together they are with other homeless persons. Even in encampments, they are usually spaced apart, often in their own tents.

I don’t mean to suggest that living outside is any sort of good thing for the homeless. But at this moment it might be a less bad option than a shelter.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by dhuey
This is the only time in my 30 years of living in California when it’s probably safer for the homeless to be outdoors than in a good homeless shelter. The problem with the later is how close together they are with other homeless persons. Even in encampments, they are usually spaced apart, often in their own tents.

I don’t mean to suggest that living outside is any sort of good thing for the homeless. But at this moment it might be a less bad option than a shelter.
There are quite a number of homeless people who live in their vehicles. That is probably better (safer, pandemic-wise) than most shelters right now.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People have often ridiculed (or not quite outright) on why I've got a Costco membership. Living in earthquakeland, I typically have a Costco-sized pack of TP, Kleenex and paper towels on hand. This, along with some canned or other sealed pouch type foods in limited quantities. Sometimes I run out (as I did with TP, fortunately a couple months ago and restocked) but not frequently. I usually don't have enough water or other liquid beverages at home, but typically some. I'm not hoarding. I use these things but have a couple months' supply of the paper goods, just because.

On the other hand, most of my foodstuffs are purchased on an every-couple-days basis. Fresh, local, organic and sustainable is only as good as you can get "fresh, local, organic and sustainable!"
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SamirD
I'm spending most of my day today dealing with this issue...
Not necessarily your situation but the thing I can't understand is:

I've heard from so many people that "lines are crazy on the weekends"... but in the SF tech company community specifically, everyone I know has considerable schedule flexibility right now.

Why is anyone working in tech in SF at a store on a weekend?! These are specifically the people who should NOT be shopping during prime shopping hours, so that the people who are working essential services have an opportunity to shop without getting sick!

The only answer I've heard so far is "well... that's when I do my shopping..." which is a pretty lame answer, in my opinion.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Not necessarily your situation but the thing I can't understand is:

I've heard from so many people that "lines are crazy on the weekends"... but in the SF tech company community specifically, everyone I know has considerable schedule flexibility right now.

Why is anyone working in tech in SF at a store on a weekend?! These are specifically the people who should NOT be shopping during prime shopping hours, so that the people who are working essential services have an opportunity to shop without getting sick!

The only answer I've heard so far is "well... that's when I do my shopping..." which is a pretty lame answer, in my opinion.
Today's "6 feet away" walk (3.1 miles):

Whole Foods had plenty of available parking. (Didn't go near the store - but rare to see empty spaces at any open hour there.) More places that are going to be closed for weeks are boarding up their windows. I can't say I blame them. Some are retail, some are restaurants/bars.

Some people smile and say hi when you walk by, others refuse to look your way.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.