Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Yeah, it's a good idea to actually read one of the Shelter-in-Place orders before posting comments about it here.
Eastbay1K, wrp96 and econ like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by JNelson113
When I read about this edict, I wondered how this applied to the homeless.

The number of homeless people, their general proximity to each other, and their typical state of health would appear to combine to create a ticking time bomb. Does anyone have a plan for this?
In the Health Order it does recommend them to seek shelter and does define shelters and other places that care for the homeless as Essential Businesses, but that's the extent of what I saw in there about it.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by randian
I assume inbound flights by non-residents is basically forbidden, since none of their ground travel would qualify as essential.
I don't think that is the case if the travel fall under something essential like taking care of someone. I don't think this would apply any differently to a resident or non-resident.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Coliseum Lexus (Oakland) will be open as a "service to the community." Had this been just the service department, I can understand. But based upon the email: " For those who would prefer, please visit our website at www.coliseumlexusofoakland.com to view our inventory, shop for your next vehicle, pre-arrange financing and handle any service and parts needs."

What a crock.
Transportation is still considered an essential service. If the only option is to buy a new car for getting somewhere, then you need to be able to buy a car to do it.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Yeah, it's a good idea to actually read one of the Shelter-in-Place orders before posting comments about it here.
This is the best advice there is. The news media is in the business of scaring and profiting, and the hand picked highlights are not a great summary at all. I'm actually impressed as to how well written and thought out the order seems to be. I expect it to play out pretty well too, except for the fact that people might get a little stir crazy.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by apodo77
No mention of vetrinarians in San Francisco area. Would assume they remain open for those that need care for their pets.
Both the San Francisco and Alameda County orders specifically mention veterinary services (under healthcare operations). I.e., if you work in healthcare or veterinary care, or need these services, you may travel for that purpose. (I'm guessing the other affected counties cover this as well.)
apodo77 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SamirD
I think it's all a bit loose like that on purpose because as long as the 6ft rule is observed, it seems one can travel if one has a purpose. Loitering around and whatnot will be prohibited, which I definitely think is a good thing.
What are the homeless supposed to do?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SamirD
Transportation is still considered an essential service. If the only option is to buy a new car for getting somewhere, then you need to be able to buy a car to do it.
No doubt. But emphasize the "we're open to fix your car." I just found the way they presented it, well, worthy of a used car salesman. I received similar from another Lexus dealership today. As my car is, gasp, 7+ years old, they must be smelling blood in the water.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Rent apartments at market rent. What do you you think they are supposed to do? For instance, if you take the wise Kathy's suggestion before posting, you might find answers, like from Sonoma County's website:

"exempting individuals experiencing homelessness from the shelter in place order but urging them to find shelter and government agencies to provide it"
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Solano added tonight.
https://admin.solanocounty.com:4433/...x?BlobID=31829
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Both the San Francisco and Alameda County orders specifically mention veterinary services (under healthcare operations). I.e., if you work in healthcare or veterinary care, or need these services, you may travel for that purpose. (I'm guessing the other affected counties cover this as well.)
San Mateo county does the same.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That is a good question. Since they are except, they essentially can do whatever they did before. What's surprising to me is that they are not subject to social distancing (which doesn't cost anything and would prevent spread if one of them was infected).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No doubt. But emphasize the "we're open to fix your car." I just found the way they presented it, well, worthy of a used car salesman. I received similar from another Lexus dealership today. As my car is, gasp, 7+ years old, they must be smelling blood in the water.
Well, the likelihood is that you would need service on an existing car to make a trip vs buying a new one--but the option to buy is there too, lol.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lmwong1977
'essential travel?'
  • Travel related to essential activities
  • Travel to care for elderly, children, minors, those with disabilities or other "vulnerable" people
  • Travel to schools or universities to receive meals
  • Travel to home residence from an outside area
  • Travel required by law or court order
No mention of travel for medical reasons???
I am due to come to the Bay Area (from Italy) for a medical procedure.
After April 7, but this is likely to extend.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by TravelKane
No mention of travel for medical reasons???
I am due to come to the Bay Area (from Italy) for a medical procedure.
After April 7, but this is likely to extend.
The full text does cover any medical procedure and travel for it:
Any travel related to the provision of or access to Essential Activities,
Essential Governmental Functions, Essential Businesses, or Minimum
Basic Operations.
Essential Activities covers medical care. You should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.