Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Old Apr 3, 20, 5:05 pm

They need to close at least until Cinco de Mayo , no reason to go thru all this and then blow it with a May 5th party

stay safe
Old Apr 3, 20, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Taking the idea seriously for a moment, I don't think these venues can work, even if everyone is seated apart far enough. You still have inevitable congestion in concourses, restrooms, entrances, exits, etc.
Yes, I know. And my first thoughts were "waiting for food and drink and then, the line to eliminate them."

But more seriously, I am continually impressed with our State and (most) Local leaders on how they are taking charge in this matter. Very little to no blame game (even though justified), and very much in the getting things done to take care of ourselves game. Also, generally good, responsive, and educated answers to questions posed. Quite practical and apolitical, as crisis management should be.
estnet, jjmadison, SamirD and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 20, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Taking the idea seriously for a moment, I don't think these venues can work, even if everyone is seated apart far enough. You still have inevitable congestion in concourses, restrooms, entrances, exits, etc.
On a related note .
https://m.sfgate.com/49ers/article/N...l-15179444.php
Old Apr 4, 20, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
That's a smart answer. Maybe, but don't count on it. Kinda like being uncertain whether you'll be invited to a far-away wedding. Mark it in the calendar, but don't buy nonrefundable air tickets just yet.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Apr 25, 20, 11:23 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
But more seriously, I am continually impressed with our State and (most) Local leaders on how they are taking charge in this matter. Very little to no blame game (even though justified), and very much in the getting things done to take care of ourselves game. Also, generally good, responsive, and educated answers to questions posed. Quite practical and apolitical, as crisis management should be.
My wife was saying the same thing recently. She said that she will never again complain about the income taxes taking such a huge chunk because now she sees what it goes to do. And honestly, I'm a bit surprised to in that CA has almost presented the model by which every state could follow.
Old Apr 25, 20, 11:25 pm

So today my wife had to grab a few things and apparently the great weather had everyone outside--and not shopping as when she went to the normal store they were not crowded. And she noticed no one was caring for any distancing and it wasn't being enforced--like a 'cheat day' on some crazy diet.

But this scared me a bit too as this seems to mean that people will literally hit the ground running in full force once the official restrictions are lifted. And that won't bode well for preventing a second wave.
Old Apr 27, 20, 12:14 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Agreed - people are constantly out for exercise / walks / runs; only some people are wearing masks and keeping a distance. It’s painful to see.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 27, 20, 3:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Select
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
So today my wife had to grab a few things and apparently the great weather had everyone outside--and not shopping as when she went to the normal store they were not crowded. And she noticed no one was caring for any distancing and it wasn't being enforced--like a 'cheat day' on some crazy diet.

But this scared me a bit too as this seems to mean that people will literally hit the ground running in full force once the official restrictions are lifted. And that won't bode well for preventing a second wave.
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Agreed - people are constantly out for exercise / walks / runs; only some people are wearing masks and keeping a distance. It’s painful to see.
There’s no requirement to wear a mask during outdoor activities as long as you do keep a distance.

Also, as far as I can tell from the county SIP orders, people in the same household are not required to follow social distancing (within their group) while outdoors.

While I’m sure there are instances of non-compliance, it’s possible the above creates the perception that a lot of people are deviating from the rules, when they really aren’t.
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by econ View Post
There’s no requirement to wear a mask during outdoor activities as long as you do keep a distance.

Also, as far as I can tell from the county SIP orders, people in the same household are not required to follow social distancing (within their group) while outdoors.

While I’m sure there are instances of non-compliance, it’s possible the above creates the perception that a lot of people are deviating from the rules, when they really aren’t.
Yep. My wife and I are regularly running and cycling close together. She wears a mask at times but I don't. We are never within six feet of others, and there is usually a pretty substantial wind. I am not in violation of the letter or spirit of the shelter-in-place orders.
Old May 2, 20, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Drove into the city today for the first time in 2 months (permissible purpose: exercise on beach). Traffic was the best I've seen in the past 20 years and plenty of free parking everywhere. Saw more than a few people at the beach today but everyone was nicely spaced (not exactly big crowds when the temps are low 60s and the bridge is fogged). Many restaurants open for takeout as well as corner grocery stores, etc.

Personally I think it is a great time to visit SF particularly if you want to enjoy the views and parks without the crowds. Avoid the overpriced fancy restaurants, order cheap takeout from one of the many ethnic eateries and no doubt more reasonable lodging prices than we've seen in years.
dhuey likes this.
Old May 2, 20, 10:01 pm

Absolutely, Boraxo. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to enjoy San Francisco with no traffic or crowds. Yes, most things are closed, but I’m talking about just being outside and enjoying the beauty of the City.
Boraxo and exLHRnowSFO like this.
Old May 2, 20, 10:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Absolutely, Boraxo. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to enjoy San Francisco with no traffic or crowds. Yes, most things are closed, but I’m talking about just being outside and enjoying the beauty of the City.
Definitely. I moved to SF from London only recently and I feel spoiled to be able to cycle/run/walk around SF with no crowds. It makes the cabin fever worth it
Old May 2, 20, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by econ View Post
Talked to the wife about how things were going out there and she mentioned that stores are starting to stock back up again and get back to normal stock levels. She also mentioned that San Mateo county has a mandatory mask rule in place. I haven't researched it to confirm any legal statutes, but she mentioned that stores won't let you in without something covering your face, and she mentioned that gang bandannas are okay.
Old May 3, 20, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Select
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
Talked to the wife about how things were going out there and she mentioned that stores are starting to stock back up again and get back to normal stock levels. She also mentioned that San Mateo county has a mandatory mask rule in place. I haven't researched it to confirm any legal statutes, but she mentioned that stores won't let you in without something covering your face, and she mentioned that gang bandannas are okay.
Yeah, several of the Bay Area counties came out with orders for mask usage a couple of weeks ago. Could be bandana, scarf, cut out of old T-shirt, etc. I've also noticed grocery stores checking to make sure people are wearing them at the entrances, for example.

But none of the counties that I know of require them for outdoor recreation, as long as social distancing requirements are met.
Old May 3, 20, 2:26 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
the sparseness is surreal. I’m so accustomed to density here and I’ve really enjoyed the social distancing.

Agreed that many places have great to-go but call ahead to order; some places won’t even use the apps because they know the cost.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: