Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
The weirdest part of this for me is how quiet the city is. You don’t notice the noise normally, but now its strangely quiet.
More, and even different than the usual, birds seem to be popping up in the neighborhood.

More traffic today. More idiot drivers back on the road. More people in line to get into stores, probably because stores are better enforcing occupancy, and people are standing farther apart. I went to Augie's Montreal Deli and picked up my text order. Pasta (dry shells) and a container of red sauce filled with chunks of Montreal Smoke Meat. Dinner - Boil the pasta, heat up the sauce. Plate. Sprinkle some cheese on top. That, and some vacuum sealed meats (turkey, and beef) for later consumption. Simply text again upon arrival, and voila, a bag (that he did not hold from the handle, and he presented me with the handle to grab) comes out to the vehicle (and you provide the car plate # with your order). Craving a piece of cake (that I don't need), I passed by a bakery that had a "pickup only" sign - smart, so I didn't stop. (I expect more and more of this, avoiding any inside customers). Two other places nearby (a Brazilian sandwich shop and a chocolate shop) had doors open with a table at the door so no one could enter.

Now, if only the scattered showers (with large drops) would scatter for long enough so I can actually take a walk ....
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
More, and even different than the usual, birds seem to be popping up in the neighborhood.

Crows. So many crows. There has always been a ton of crows around, but I swear they are getting bolder now.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The results of the early shelter in place order for the six Bay Area counties appear to show encouraging results.

https://swell.life/article/rMYhMFSSq...ning-the-curve

Including

TWA884 and SamirD like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 25, 2020 at 8:18 pm
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by JDiver
The results of the early shelter in place order for the six Bay Area counties appear to show encouraging results.

https://swell.life/article/rMYhMFSSq...ning-the-curve
Also covered in today's SF Chron

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...y-15154692.php
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Finally got into a supermarket today. Weird how unevenly it was stocked. Plenty of fresh meats, dairy, bakery, produce... almost no canned goods, pet supplies, cleaning supplies... entire rows that were just not being restocked.

But ​​​​SamirD plenty of frozen pizzas of all types!

What I personally found to be annoying, though, was how many people were hanging around... going to the Starbucks in the store, browsing the aisles, hanging out outside... it made distancing hard with so many people just loitering. Like it was a day off and they wanted to people watch or something.

And I also noticed all the birds! Way more than usual, all different kinds... So many of them that part of the parking lot was blocked completely by the birds...

The corner store just got a shipment of eggs but they could only get fancy organic free range local eggs. They apologized as they charged me $9 for a dozen.

Weird, weird supply chain stuff going on.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
New Gift Card Site for SF Bay Area restaurants

One of the co-founders of Instagram has started a gift card website for San Francisco restaurants called "Save Our Faves:"

https://saveourfaves.org/

Seems like a great idea, and it is not just for San Francisco itself, but also Marin, East Bay, and South Bay. There have been similar efforts for other cities/parts of the country (see the FAQ).
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Crows. So many crows. There has always been a ton of crows around, but I swear they are getting bolder now.
Don''t swear. It only emboldens them. When the weather gets a bit inclement, the more gulls come by, and the crows particularly don't like this. One day last year, I heard a "never before heard" noise in my backyard only to see a crow attacking a hummingbird nest.

I do see far fewer planes (or is that I don't see as many planes) - I'm in the path of many SFO departures as they turn eastbound, or OAK northbound departures.
dhuey and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I do see far fewer planes (or is that I don't see as many planes) - I'm in the path of many SFO departures as they turn eastbound, or OAK northbound departures.
I'm hearing more of what I think are military jets above my house. You?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Yesterday there was one that was really shaking things up - by the time I went outside I couldn't see it.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Finally got into a supermarket today. Weird how unevenly it was stocked. Plenty of fresh meats, dairy, bakery, produce... almost no canned goods, pet supplies, cleaning supplies... entire rows that were just not being restocked.

But ​​​​SamirD plenty of frozen pizzas of all types!

What I personally found to be annoying, though, was how many people were hanging around... going to the Starbucks in the store, browsing the aisles, hanging out outside... it made distancing hard with so many people just loitering. Like it was a day off and they wanted to people watch or something.

And I also noticed all the birds! Way more than usual, all different kinds... So many of them that part of the parking lot was blocked completely by the birds...

The corner store just got a shipment of eggs but they could only get fancy organic free range local eggs. They apologized as they charged me $9 for a dozen.

Weird, weird supply chain stuff going on.
Yeah, I've seen that too. It is quite weird because sometimes the stuff you would think people would be going nuts over is normal.

I'm still chomping my my current stock. And I really shouldn't because all they are is fat. I could eat a bag of chips and probably get the same nutrition.

Ah yes, high prices on top of the normal high prices--living the CA life! But good to see that local producers haven't been affected. I hope that trend continues and it's possible to get even more local goods. At a time when everything is sourced farther and farther away, having things close and local right now make a huge difference.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:51 pm

Don''t swear. It only emboldens them. When the weather gets a bit inclement, the more gulls come by, and the crows particularly don't like this. One day last year, I heard a "never before heard" noise in my backyard only to see a crow attacking a hummingbird nest.

Interesting about the crows and gulls and hummingbirds. We usually have some ducks in the lagoon behind our place--I'll have to ask the wife if they're still around.

You must be directly opposite our place as we see all the flights coming in, lol. I've actually seen my balcony from a few flights and make it a point to sit where I could see it if the flight path take us there. I have to ask the wife about the flight traffic. Usually they would be non-stop and you could see them lined up coming in during the evening hours.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Interesting. I wonder why?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamirD
Interesting. I wonder why?
You never know - but there could be some mass movement of goods or troops or both. Prior to Desert Storm, I worked near the Sacramento Delta. For some time, I noticed a lot of heavy aircraft traffic @ Travis AFB. Long before any war announcement, I figured it was coming, given how much unusual air traffic I saw.

As for yesterday's outing, normalcy is returning rapidly to people's horrible and inconsiderate driving patterns. I took a long walk. Too long, actually, as the feet started to go, and I took the bus back home. Stopping for pedestrians (me) once again is an optional exercise when someone is at a crosswalk (non-major street), as it stopping at red lights while a pedestrian is attempting to cross on a green light / walk signal. Also, a smile and a "hi" would go a long way, even from several feet away while passing. Instead, more of the "you've got cooties, I am looking away" is happening. We all potentially have cooties. I get it. Smile.

Bus - free, boarding from rear door, caution tape up for first 1/3d of bus to keep away from driver. Only real annoyance - while walking, street person wanting money started to approach what would have been way too close - I turned to the right and walked far around. .
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:20 am

Thank you for the reply. Lots of interesting details in there. Love the references to cooties, lol.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
You never know - but there could be some mass movement of goods or troops or both. Prior to Desert Storm, I worked near the Sacramento Delta. For some time, I noticed a lot of heavy aircraft traffic @ Travis AFB. Long before any war announcement, I figured it was coming, given how much unusual air traffic I saw.
I'm not very good at distinguishing aircraft by sound. Maybe some of these are National Guard planes. Whatever they are, they sound very different than commercial airliners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.