Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by dhuey
That's my understanding as well -- most restrictive order controls. Makes me think of how a Supreme Court Justice's concurring opinion is controlling law when there is no 5+ Justice majority opinion. After looking things over, you think you understand the situation, but you're still not completely sure.
Correct. Governor's order specifically states it does not supercede more restrictive County orders. However some counties (not in Bay Area) have defied the Governor and are opening faster than authorized. Others have sheriffs who have stated that they will not be enforcing/citing the orders. So it is a complete mish-mash.

Also for those who plan to visit California soon - keep in mind that some counties and cities are currently prohibiting short term rentals including AirBnB and VRBO. Specifically Placer and El Dorado Counties and South Lake Tahoe. Yosemite is also still closed. So you may have difficulty renting in those areas and some owners and renters have been fined. Of course this is not a problem in the SF Bay Area.

Also good news to report: I hear that wineries will be permitted to restart wine tastings in June - many by appointment.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Boraxo

Also good news to report: I hear that wineries will be permitted to restart wine tastings in June - many by appointment.
Even better news - some of our local vintners have come to personally drop off my wine orders at my house.
mjm likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's my understanding as well -- most restrictive order controls. Makes me think of how a Supreme Court Justice's concurring opinion is controlling law when there is no 5+ Justice majority opinion. After looking things over, you think you understand the situation, but you're still not completely sure.
The "good news" is if you carry your mask, even if not on (which is how I walk down the street), put it on when you approach your place of custom, enter if you're allowed in, order or pickup your items from the door or window if you're not allowed in ... the worst that can likely happen is an LEO will tell you if you aren't complying with whatever law (in my case, 3) applies during the half-hour walk.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday was particularly amusing. Throw a curfew on top of the Shelter in Place, but the curfew wasn't consistent. On a lovely late Spring evening, during the denouement of what was an unseasonably hot day for these parts, it was time for a walk. It was seven-thirty-something. Which direction shall we go? Walk north? Subject to arrest in 20 minutes. Stay within my humble hamlet? Well over an hour to be outside.

[Meanwhile, the Bay's free air conditioning turned itself on, and being in shorts and a t-shirt turned out to be insufficient for a longer walk, We were home within 15 minutes of the general Alameda County curfew, but still had 45 minutes to spare in Berkeley.]
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
There is a World of difference between “inconveniencing” oneself by wearing masks, respecting other people’s space and avoiding large gatherings v. forced imprisonment in your home for an indefinite period. That’s well beyond “inconvenience”. Not to mention kids who aren’t allowed to play sports, use swimming pools, or even get adequate schooling.

I don’t know anyone who was unwilling to undergo lockdown to flatten the curve. Well it’s been flat for over a month in the Bay Area. Time to call it a win.
The problem is even the stats aren't definitive. And this whole thing can blow right up again if everyone suddenly returns to normal. Then what?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:15 am

...maybe a little hyperbole but it is simply not acceptable as a permanent condition.
Wait, who said this was permanent? Years from now, these few months will barely be a memory. It's a speed bump over the course of a lifetime--that potentially saves lifetimes.

And with the peaceful protests yesterday and the curfews in effect, this is a very odd time. But it will pass, and probably in the next month or so as the effects of 'opening back up' come in from other parts of the country that are doing so.

I'm happy with the way things have been handled so far with respectful safety the utmost concern. There is always a price for freedom and if sitting home for a few months guarantees it, it's the smallest sacrifice imo.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamirD
Wait, who said this was permanent?
It is not. Yesterday, I had my first "semi-normal" not-at-home beverage experience in months. It also provides some color as to the various city and county variations in restrictions.

It was a lovely day for a long walk. A voice said "go North, young man." (The voice was partially delusional, because the man isn't so young.) But the voice said so because North provided a county that permitted outdoor dining/drinking. And so, on a Saturday afternoon, they left the house, moseyed amongst the side streets of Berkeley and Albany until arriving at the most grand of boulevards, San Pablo. You've heard the old joke "what happens when an auto body shop meets a massage parlor? (Ok you probably haven't heard it because I've just made it up.) They made an Avenue called San Pablo. But there are also restaurants and bars and breweries and cafes and other places one may wish to patronize. So we continued north. And north . And north. Nothing open with an outdoor seat yet, even if they could have. Deep into El Cerrito, in a county that permits such activity, the prospects of having an Saturday afternoon outdoor cocktail were looking bleak. Nonetheless, you never know what you'll see while walking on streets one has driven by hundreds if not more than a thousand times, but never walked the sidewalk. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=145944 Japanese-American history at the side of an old flower shop. Notwithstanding the great history lesson, I was thirsty. My internal decision making process decided that if we reach El Cerrito Del Norte station without a place to stop, we'd head south. At the corner of Potrero, I saw in the distance "Los Moles," which has a beer garden. (This is a much better use of the property than the Carrows it replaced.) We crossed the grand Avenue when the signal permitted. Cars were in the parking lot. But it was a strip mall lot, and several people were waiting for their Pizza Pizza from the enanito Caesar. Alas, I saw people sitting outside. We walked to the door, had to wait a couple of minutes for an appropriately-distanced outdoor table,

A masked man brought out a small basket of chips and some paper menus, and before we knew it, we were enjoying some tamarindo margaritas.

So, a three-plus mile walk through three cities in two counties (almost reaching the fourth city) can now produce a variation to one's local Shelter in Place. It also provides the opportunity to read a stupid post on FT on a Sunday morning.

We took the bus home. Free, rear door boarding, and extremely limited capacity for spacing.
dhuey, SamirD and Zorak like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
so to update - most of Bay area is open for outdoor dining and some even for bars. Most parks and beaches have reopened. Wine tasting is open by appointment/reservation. Yosemite is open to those with hotel or camping Rez. You still can’t get a haircut but that will soon change, too. So as of June 14 California is Mostly open for business, at least for outdoor activities.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

But more seriously, I am continually impressed with our State and (most) Local leaders on how they are taking charge in this matter. Very little to no blame game (even though justified), and very much in the getting things done to take care of ourselves game. Also, generally good, responsive, and educated answers to questions posed. Quite practical and apolitical, as crisis management should be.
I would generally concur, but with the large exception Of children. There is no logic in opening bars and churches but not allowing kids to play outdoor sports locally. None. Similarly we see many countries opening schools - US should be making plans for normal class sizes in the fall, not ridiculous 10 kids per class 2 days a week as proposed in Calif. also we don’t need pool monitors and 5 person limit for large community pools. Unfortunately the kids don’t make campaign contributions like unions and big business so they don’t have a seat at the table.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Saw two opinion articles this week from local infectious disease experts that I thought were interesting:

From picnics to pools, coronavirus experts rate the risk of popular Bay Area activities -- Article in the SF Chronicle where experts score the relative risk level of re-opened activities, given everything they knew as of 2 days ago

Second item from Twitter: Thread from UCSF Medical Dept Chair on how he assesses personal risk of each type of activity, knowing what he knows this week

(Not sure why but FT insists on adding a preview image into the post instead of a link... you'll have to click into the thread, then click on post 8 to expand it, but i thought it was worth it)

estnet likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:11 am

A masked man brought out a small basket of chips and some paper menus, and before we knew it, we were enjoying some tamarindo margaritas.
I thoroughly enjoyed your post and even visualized this guy as your waiter:
estnet likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamirD
I thoroughly enjoyed your post and even visualized this guy as your waiter:
Mask was on the other end! (of the face ... )
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Summer camps started so we are trying it out and hoping for the best. There’s a positive mental boost from interactions and outdoors, plus bonus that camp time means zero video game time. Plus of course a mental boost for the parents.

summer camps have DPH standards including 3-week-long sessions.
nnn likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:09 pm

We may have passed on the street. I had essential business ;-) at the watch shop at Solano just above San Pablo. I walked some.of the same areas. How intended up "sheltering" in the United States, well, that's another story.

It is not. Yesterday, I had my first "semi-normal" not-at-home beverage experience in months. It also provides some color as to the various city and county variations in restrictions.

It was a lovely day for a long walk. A voice said "go North, young man." (The voice was partially delusional, because the man isn't so young.) But the voice said so because North provided a county that permitted outdoor dining/drinking. And so, on a Saturday afternoon, they left the house, moseyed amongst the side streets of Berkeley and Albany until arriving at the most grand of boulevards, San Pablo.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
And so, on a Saturday afternoon, they left the house, moseyed amongst the side streets of Berkeley and Albany until arriving at the most grand of boulevards, San Pablo.
I wonder how life is these days at the Albany Twin (where I have enjoyed many a story up on the big screen) and the Ivy Room (where I, again, yet have to set foot).
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I wonder how life is these days at the Albany Twin (where I have enjoyed many a story up on the big screen) and the Ivy Room (where I, again, yet have to set foot).
Crickets at the Albany Twin, although several restaurants have seating (outside) on Solano Ave. The Ivy Room has take away drinks. Too bad they, and the Nepali restaurant, can't rent parking lot space from Bevmo.

Meanwhile, stores have restarted charging for bags, even though if you bring your own, they can't touch them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.