Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by tom911
Here in Benicia, if the city is willing to temporarily waive some rules and allow tables on sidewalks, the bulk of our restaurants in the downtown area could probably come up with an equivalent amount of tables, at least through the summer months. They could label the street directly out front as "no parking" so pedestrians would still have a route to traverse.
I think they could do this in parts of downtown San Mateo as well. It would definitely get people out though and the lack of parking may become an issue as well.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Here in Benicia, if the city is willing to temporarily waive some rules and allow tables on sidewalks, the bulk of our restaurants in the downtown area could probably come up with an equivalent amount of tables, at least through the summer months. They could label the street directly out front as "no parking" so pedestrians would still have a route to traverse.
I just rode through your lovely city this afternoon. https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/3071743753
Old May 7, 2020, 10:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You might have passed me. I did a 5 mile walk from the West 9th St Pier to the backside of the Benicia Marina, and back, from about 1:20-3pm. Was 85 when I got home. Definitely a great place for walkers, bicyclists, and even the insane person with a motorized skateboard that likes zipping along in the traffic lanes on First Street. Just a matter of time until someone takes him out.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:00 pm

I can't believe how fast those e-skateboards can go. I do those speeds and faster on my bike, but I have brakes.

BTW, did it used to be possible to cut through the PG&E substation on foot/bike between S. Regatta Dr. and Dillon Point Rd.? Seems like that's closed off now.
tom911 likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I can't believe how fast those e-skateboards can go. I do those speeds and faster on my bike, but I have brakes.
Yeah, the necessity to 'pump' to get your own speed is what kept the skateboard in check. But without that and no brakes, it's insane. Even on a regular skateboard I've had some nasty collisions and falls and wouldn't want any electrical enhancement making that any more painful.

Aren't skateboards supposed to follow the same rules as bikes?
Old May 8, 2020, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SamirD
I think they could do this in parts of downtown San Mateo as well. It would definitely get people out though and the lack of parking may become an issue as well.
"San Mateo restaurants may reopen in the street"
https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/...979645342.html
SamirD likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 3:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dhuey
BTW, did it used to be possible to cut through the PG&E substation on foot/bike between S. Regatta Dr. and Dillon Point Rd.? Seems like that's closed off now.
I've never gone past the paved end of the state park so wouldn't know.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 4:02 pm

I've never gone past the paved end of the state park so wouldn't know.
Yesterday I rode on the single-track trail from S. Regatta to Dillon Pt. Rd. It's marked red on the park brochure map (p. 3): https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/476/f...Layout2018.pdf

The trail is better suited for a mountain bike, but it was tolerable on my road bike. I encountered a half-dozen or so hikers. All were friendly and stepped off the path to let me pass. No one seemed uncomfortable with the brief moment of <6 feet proximity.
tom911 and SamirD like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The drive thru carwash in Albany was open today! The booth person stuck the Square reader on a stick from the window, for the customer to self-insert or tap.

The Great May Seagull Attack On My Lexus of May 2020 has now become a distant memory, the remnants of which are now part of the municipal sewer system. On the same trip, and actually when I saw that the carwash was open is when I went to an essential business to pick up a now-in-season fresh strawberry pie at Nation's. Probably close to 20 years since I've had Nation's pie. The thing must weigh 3+ lbs.

Shelter in place dessert from an essential business
tom911, TWA884 and SamirD like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 4:19 pm

Ha! I took my Lexus NX320h* to that same drive-through car wash on Wednesday. I neglected to get myself an essential treat, though. I saw the stick used for the person in front of me. I went old school and handed over a twenty in exchange for a five.

* My favorite car ever. I got it in 2015 and hope to keep it for at least five more years.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel

What's the diameter of that Nation's strawberry pie? Those strawberries look humongous, but without knowing the size of the pie, I can't be sure.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
And how does the Nations pie taste? There’s a Nations in Westlake Daly City mall, which I love but now rarely visit. I know that my spouse went to some shops there a few weeks ago.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf

What's the diameter of that Nation's strawberry pie? Those strawberries look humongous, but without knowing the size of the pie, I can't be sure.
It is a normal sized pie tin. The strawberries were huge, and it was solid berries over the crust. (It does appear rather "tart-sized" in the pic.) Very tasty - Berries nice and ripe throughout. $19.95. For someone who has lived in the area for 35 years, it is a good reminder that not everything needs to be organic, sustainable, and expensive
squeakr, KathyWdrf, Boraxo and 2 others like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:47 am

I miss good strawberries. They're my favorite fruit. Kiwis are nice too, and I love them together. Man I'm hungry...
Old May 11, 2020, 8:58 am

Strawberries, wait what?

Cherry Season is where its at.

Went hiking around Briones Reservoir yesterday. I have never seen so many people on that trail before. Usually you are surprised to see another hiker. EBMUD police are patrolling and making sure that you have a permit as well.

The closure of the “regular” parks and I guess boredom seems to be driving people to the lesser known places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.