Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Judge’s European vacation may force mistrial in huge Richmond murder case

Old Feb 7, 20, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, BonVoy Silver

Apologies if this has been posted; I didn't see it but I may be lame at searching! It just really struck me how these inflexible travel bookings get to everyone. My guess is she probably didn't buy BE. I know I never buy BE. I'm traveling to Morocco for several weeks this year, and I can only imagine how much money it would cost me to change the airline ticket alone. What do you want to bet this publicity helps, though?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/...imated-600000/
Old Feb 7, 20, 4:09 pm

I find this to be silly.

Unless the Judge booked her travels through YadaYadaCheapVacations.com, most reputable travel agencies / airlines will grant the Judge a fee-free change if the circumstances were explained. Sure, it might require more than one call, but the chances of not finding success are low, IMO.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm finding it difficult to believe that this could be the reason for a mistrial. This judge would practically be begging to be voted out of office if she were to pull the trigger on this.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I don't know why she doesn't do what any normal employee would do - put it to the employer that she has pre-existing and approved vacation plans and that, if the employer wants to change them, then the employer eats the cost of doing so (including for the rest of the family). The problem is not with the Judge but with the County.
rbwpi likes this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
I don't know why she doesn't do what any normal employee would do - put it to the employer that she has pre-existing and approved vacation plans and that, if the employer wants to change them, then the employer eats the cost of doing so (including for the rest of the family). The problem is not with the Judge but with the County.
I will fully support the judge in her efforts to get reimbursed for all lost costs and deposits. But she must, must not declare a mistrial over this and head to Europe. The waste of juror, litigant, lawyer, court staff, deputy, etc. time would be enormous. She must take the personal hit for the public good, if that's what it comes down to. A judge is no ordinary employee.
Old Feb 10, 20, 4:19 pm

I thought judges and lawyers agree upon schedules all the time?
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Assuming that a mistrial would cost the county equal to or more than the $600,000 already spent on the current trial, they should pony up the $5000 to the airline to change the flights.
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji View Post
Assuming that a mistrial would cost the county equal to or more than the $600,000 already spent on the current trial, they should pony up the $5000 to the airline to change the flights.
There might even be a serious argument for the defendant that he cannot be retried if this is the basis for a mistrial. It's ridiculous.
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
I don't find this post moot for the SFO forum

It see4ms more suited for OMNI but not everyone here can get to OMNI so I'll just close the thread. Thanks.
squeakr

MOD SFO

Search this Thread
Search Engine: