Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO's "Wag Brigade”

SFO's "Wag Brigade”

Old Nov 13, 19, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
SFO's "Wag Brigade”

In The Washington Post:
Stressed while flying? At one airport, an ‘A-list celebrity’ pig can help.

For the past six years, San Francisco International Airport has partnered with the SF SPCA to create the “Wag Brigade,” a program through which certified therapy animals roam SFO terminals, interacting with passengers to relieve preflight anxieties. Well-behaved and child-friendly, the animals all have bold personalities, said Jennifer Kazarian, guest services manager at the airport. Each goes through extensive training, including a canine good-citizen test.

The brigade consists of 22 dogs, yes, but one of the stars is LiLou, a 5-year-old Juliana pig. One look at LiLou’s Instagram is enough to see why: With her captain’s hat, bright-red hoofs and vest that says “Pet Me!,” she’s a favorite among airport guests. “She’s like an A-list celebrity walking through the airport,” Kazarian said. “She attracts a lot of attention.”

In addition to being hypoallergenic, LiLou can do tricks like her four-pawed companions, including playing a toy piano. The reaction to seeing her, from passengers and some of the dogs, is often bewilderment. Kazarian said some fliers will walk backward on moving walkways to chase LiLou down.

BadgerBoi and Eastbay1K like this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR, AS MVPG75K, Covid-19
... of course this is @ SFO
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post

If you had clicked on the link, you would have seen this just below the headline:
At least 50 hubs nationwide now have therapy animals.
Eastbay1K and malgudi like this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR, AS MVPG75K, Covid-19
Where else has a pig wandering the gates?!
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:17 pm

Feel free to not use the wag brigade (or even better, avoid SFO)
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP has long had therapy dogs, especially around busy holiday travel periods. Now there's a cat too.
KathyWdrf likes this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:53 pm

At least it's not a goat or donkey.
Old Nov 14, 19, 9:32 pm

Maybe FT is full of people so comfortable with flying that these service animals are seen as a joke or unnecessary, but i've definitely come across my share of travelers who could use a bit of calming before and/or during flight.
If this helps, then great. Imagine the kids at the airport love this too. I support this.
KathyWdrf likes this.
Old Nov 15, 19, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I don't know, but perhaps SFO will start a trend (if it hasn't already).
malgudi likes this.
Old Nov 15, 19, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
I don't know, but perhaps SFO will start a trend (if it hasn't already).
There are always some (the generic "some") that love to hate on SF, either out of a realized or unrealized jealousy, or knowing that SF has started a trend that "will be coming soon to a town near you!"
malgudi and KathyWdrf like this.
Old Nov 16, 19, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
At least it's not a goat or donkey.
Funny you should mention that -- CVG has therapy horses. OK, they're miniature horses. From 2017:

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/10/52778...h-a-mini-horse

As of the date of the article, the mini-horses only showed up at CVG twice a month. And,
Some passengers enjoy the animals so much that they call the airport to schedule flights around their visits. Visits to nursing homes and schools are also a regular part of the horses' schedule. Their owner is already working on a new idea for a therapy animal — donkeys.
(Bolding mine)
Old Nov 17, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
I saw that pig walking through the airport a few weeks ago. I'd just presumed he was a new recruit pilot for Spirit Airlines...

(Yeah, OK, Spirit don't fly to SFO, but...)
Old Nov 17, 19, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
Funny you should mention that -- CVG has therapy horses. OK, they're miniature horses. From 2017:

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/10/52778...h-a-mini-horse

As of the date of the article, the mini-horses only showed up at CVG twice a month. And, (Bolding mine)[/color]
They're cute but are they "house" (airport) broken? Or do they wear diapers for their airport duties?
Old Nov 17, 19, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
They're cute but are they "house" (airport) broken? Or do they wear diapers for their airport duties?
I wondered the same thing. But that also applies to dogs and other therapy animals.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: