Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

BART appears to have reduced/eliminated airport parking at Millbrae

Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They also have reduced parking availability at San Bruno significantly as well.

I guess it was good while it lasted!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
A little more info...

https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2019/news20190924
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
Thanks for the link. There goes the one BART station with enough parking. Sigh.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Thanks for the link. There goes the one BART station with enough parking. Sigh.
Yup
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did you have a specific reference for that? Given the article goalie linked to it wouldn't at all surprise me, but at the moment APLT appears to be available for all upcoming dates at Millbrae.

The article in the SF Chronicle states that "BART officials will convert some of the long-term airport traveler parking into regular commuter parking" which I presume just means they will be reducing the number of reservations available as it's not like this parking was ever actually dedicated spots.

Interesting the San Mateo Daily Journal article doesn't mention the public airport parking, but instead states "He balanced that loss though by noting BART is planning to end an arrangement with Google and the San Francisco International Airport, under which 200 spaces in the lot were reserved for employees."
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
Did you have a specific reference for that? Given the article goalie linked to it wouldn't at all surprise me, but at the moment APLT appears to be available for all upcoming dates at Millbrae.

The article in the SF Chronicle states that "BART officials will convert some of the long-term airport traveler parking into regular commuter parking" which I presume just means they will be reducing the number of reservations available as it's not like this parking was ever actually dedicated spots.

Interesting the San Mateo Daily Journal article doesn't mention the public airport parking, but instead states "He balanced that loss though by noting BART is planning to end an arrangement with Google and the San Francisco International Airport, under which 200 spaces in the lot were reserved for employees."
The last three trips I've tried to book Millbrae and been denied for all three of them. Two were for next month -- Nov 2-5 and 9-14.

Edited to add: To add a bit of additional data, I just checked each day individually from Dec 17 - 22 and NONE of them are available.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 23, 2019 at 5:26 pm
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The last three trips I've tried to book Millbrae and been denied for all three of them. Two were for next month -- Nov 2-5 and 9-14.
Ahh - got it. I had gone as far as the date selection and it appeared that all dates were available - I didn't realize it rejected you on the next page but I now see that it does and I'm seeing the same thing you are
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I gave up on Millbrae a while ago. It was too unpredictable not knowing if spaces would be sold out or not.

Now I booked a $55/mo spot from SpotHero in San Carlos a few miles south and take the bus to/from SFO. Works out much better overall.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:18 pm

Anyone been there recently and know the parking situation?

Also, the parking reservation system now wants a Clipper card to confirm that you entered the system - so may no longer be practical.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:05 pm

I just used it today with no problem. $6/day in the BART app - you just put in your plate number and your clipper card number. And weekends/holidays are free, so it's by far the cheapest way to park at SFO, even if you count the train or bus fare to/from SFO.

There were massive numbers of spots available. With the new system, they don't have separate zones for daily/monthly/longterm any more, so you can park anywhere in the huge garage.

Not sure what the issue is with having to provide a Clipper card? Presumably you're going to ride BART or Samtrans to the airport once you've parked?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by sergent
Not sure what the issue is with having to provide a Clipper card? Presumably you're going to ride BART or Samtrans to the airport once you've parked?
You are NOT allowed ride Samtrans (or Caltrain) - you must ride BART! If you do not use the Clipper card you entered into the app to enter the station, then your parking permit is not valid (I can't comment as to whether this is actually enforced, but that's the rule).

Personally I have caught a taxi from Millbrae to SFO once - on a holiday when BART wasn't running earlier enough (I did catch BART back to Millbrae at the end of the trip, but obviously that wouldn't help if they were watching Clipper records)
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
And weekends/holidays are free, so it's by far the cheapest way to park at SFO, even if you count the train or bus fare to/from SFO.
Are all weekend days free now? I seem to recall in the older system, if you started or ended on a weekend, those particular weekend days were free, but any "nested" weekend days were charged.

Originally Posted by docbert
You are NOT allowed ride Samtrans (or Caltrain) - you must ride BART!
This seems to indicate that isn't necessary?

https://www.bart.gov/sites/default/f...ingFAQs_v3.pdf

Do I need to be a BART rider to purchase Reserved parking?

Yes. Exceptions are currently allowed at the Millbrae station (for those connecting to SamTrans or Caltrain)...
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by econ
This seems to indicate that isn't necessary?

https://www.bart.gov/sites/default/f...ingFAQs_v3.pdf
Ohh - good catch! I stand corrected.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Are all weekend days free now? I seem to recall in the older system, if you started or ended on a weekend, those particular weekend days were free, but any "nested" weekend days were charged.f
Yes, as far as I can tell. I put in a reservation for Monday-Friday this week and was not charged for Thursday even though the day is listed on my permit.
econ likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:30 pm

Yes, as far as I can tell. I put in a reservation for Monday-Friday this week and was not charged for Thursday even though the day is listed on my permit.
This is an improvement, but with a bit of effort it was easy to get the weekends for free under the old system anyway.

If you wanted to park (say) Wednesday to Tuesday of the following week, you'd book and pay for Wednesday->Sunday, which is 3 days (W/T/F, Sat/Sun being free). Then some time you'd parked you could go in and extend it by paying for the extra days, Monday -> Tuesday, which is another 2 days. End result is that you'd get 7 days including the weekend, but only have to pay for the 5 weekdays.

(For bonus points, you'd start the reservation on Thursday and then just pay the day parking rate on the first day - although that did mean you couldn't use the reserved parking area if you were getting there in the morning).

The fact you apparently don't need to use a Clipper Card when parking at Millbrae actually solves one issue's I've had with BART parking over weekends, which is what happens if you get delayed. Say you're parking Saturday/Sunday which is free (or even Friday->Sunday, paying for day parking on Friday), but your flight gets cancelled on the way home. Previously you'd be basically screwed and likely to score a parking ticket on Monday morning. Now it seems you could just go into the app and pay for 1 days airport parking starting Monday. As there's no longer any need to put anything in the windscreen as there was before, you're covered!
econ likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.