Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Print Wikipost

SFO runway closure 28L Now Oct 8-15 2020

Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
From SF Gate:Nearly 400 flights were either cancelled or delayed on Saturday at San Francisco International Airport as the airport shut down its busiest runway for a maintenance project.There were 272 flights delayed yesterday and 109 cancellations, according to an airport manager at SFO. They said a small fraction of the delays and cancellations may have been due to weather on the East Coast, but the majority were due to the runway shutdow
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The results thus far are not so good. Was planning to fly Jetblue into SFO later this week and many of the transcons are showing 5 hours delayed!!

If B6 is offering free changes (like UA) may need to take them up on it.

Will be interesting to see if things get better or worse as the week progresses.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:56 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
All of Delta’s LAX-SFO flights today are delayed. Morning flights seemed to all be under 2 hours, this afternoon it looks like anywhere from 2-5 hours delayed. Would hate to see how this plays out on a weekday with business travelers going up and down the coast.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
AA166 today seems to be "winning" - 8 hours and 27 minute delay. And counting

Wonder what "algorithm" they use as some flights are getting in without much delays and then you have the one above.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
AA166 today seems to be "winning" - 8 hours and 27 minute delay. And counting

Wonder what "algorithm" they use as some flights are getting in without much delays and then you have the one above.
I wonder if there was another AA related delay to that, mechanical or otherwise. From my understanding its not until the pilots have a clear time of departure that they can request a landing slot with ATC.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by freeagent
I wonder if there was another AA related delay to that, mechanical or otherwise. From my understanding its not until the pilots have a clear time of departure that they can request a landing slot with ATC.
The incoming aircraft that was supposed to depart around 11am from JFK, actually left at 7:50pm. Supposed to land at 11pm-ish, so not sure what they additional 2 hours and 45 minute delay is for.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:29 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I got stuck in this nonsense yesterday. Trying to get back from LAX, Southwest is apparently making cancellation decisions the morning of. My mid-day flight was canceled at 6:30am with a rebooking at 8am to OAK. Not at all useful.

Ended up having to fly into SJC and drop $70 on an Uber.

The SFO flights that had not been canceled were all delayed as much as 3+ hours. Not sure if it was related but I saw one with a police office standing next to the podium and the crowd of standby passengers.

Unpleasant experience in general.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Reports are not looking good. Avoid SFO if you can over the next few weeks, especially for short flights.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:08 am

How About Inbound Transcontinental Flights?

I've always assumed that inbound flight from Europe and Asia are not delayed because due to their length and international origination they are not held on the ground before departure.

Am I correct or deluded?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 12:30 pm

I just looked at international arrivals -- no problems at the moment. The big hit is to short flights, but the transcons also have lots of delays and cancellations.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:04 am

I pushed back about 15 min late on Alaska 7:50 am departure to Newark. No complaints. So strange to see only 28R and 17L in use. What a huge loss of capacity. I hope the runway work proceeds on schedule.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Probably discussed up thread but how are the redeye flights being effected by this? Are these going out on time due to the relative decrease in number of flights at that time? I have one out next Thursday to BOS and no change as of now. Have unchangeable business so little flexibility here.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nomad420
Probably discussed up thread but how are the redeye flights being effected by this? Are these going out on time due to the relative decrease in number of flights at that time? I have one out next Thursday to BOS and no change as of now. Have unchangeable business so little flexibility here.
I've been monitoring one for several days and it is leaving pretty much on time, with the inbound arrival (at around 2100) being relatively on time. (International, but shorter than a domestic transcon.)

If your aircraft is SFO-affected earlier in the day, I'd expect this to be your most likely cause of trouble.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomad420
Departure should be fine, the challenge is whether your frame is in SFO (or can get there).
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Departure should be fine, the challenge is whether your frame is in SFO (or can get there).
Thanks to both, I will check were incoming flight is coming from and at what time and keep a close eye on things. I guess that is about all I can do as I need to get out Thurs night. Glad I am not flying much in Sept.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.