Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

I will have 10:30-14:30 IN San Francisco I should...

I will have 10:30-14:30 IN San Francisco I should...

Old Aug 21, 19, 8:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MSP
Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Posts: 735
Question I will have 10:30-14:30 IN San Francisco I should...

Itís almost all in the title. Working within my own comfort perimeters I figure I can be in town (yay BART) for a leisurely time over lunch on a Tuesday in October. Where should I go? What should I do?

I usually scoot over to the Castro and find a nice place for a couple drinks and brunch. Iím open to trying new things and places. I like being outside and most food. Also like a cocktail.

Thanks
In2ishn is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 8:13 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,553
It's touristic, but if you've never seen the wildlife on the docks around fisherman's wharf, this could be fun on a weekday in shoulder or low season.
In2ishn likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 3:34 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,196
Originally Posted by In2ishn View Post
I like being outside and most food. Also like a cocktail.

Thanks
Walk along the Embarcadero, perhaps? There are multiple outdoor venues for drinks starting with the Ferry Building and going up to Pier 23. If you want a bit of a workout you could hike up the steps of Greenwich Street Stairs to Coit Tower: Greenwich Street Stairs - Stairways of San Francisco

The best parts of Coit Tower are free. Yes, it's a nice view at the top of the tower, but you have to buy a ticket and wait in line. Views are almost as good when you walk around the tower. Inside the base of the tower are amazing Depression-era murals.

This plan works very well with BART: to/from Embarcadero Station. No need to worry about traffic conditions. BART has delays at times, but it's really unlikely you'll face a major one.
In2ishn likes this.
dhuey is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:54 pm
  #4  
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MSP
Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Posts: 735
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It's touristic, but if you've never seen the wildlife on the docks around fisherman's wharf, this could be fun on a weekday in shoulder or low season.
Thanks, neighbor! I did the Wharf but that was decades ago. I may revisit.

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Walk along the Embarcadero, perhaps? There are multiple outdoor venues for drinks starting with the Ferry Building and going up to Pier 23. If you want a bit of a workout you could hike up the steps of Greenwich Street Stairs to Coit Tower: Greenwich Street Stairs - Stairways of San Francisco

The best parts of Coit Tower are free. Yes, it's a nice view at the top of the tower, but you have to buy a ticket and wait in line. Views are almost as good when you walk around the tower. Inside the base of the tower are amazing Depression-era murals.

This plan works very well with BART: to/from Embarcadero Station. No need to worry about traffic conditions. BART has delays at times, but it's really unlikely you'll face a major one.
Thank you! Iíve never been there and, tbh, never even thought of it.
In2ishn is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 5:58 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,196
Originally Posted by In2ishn View Post
Thank you! Iíve never been there and, tbh, never even thought of it.
I'm sure that the people who live next to that long set of staircases really hope that it never becomes a tourist destination. It's a most extraordinary little hillside neighborhood. Some of the houses are accessible only from the stairs. I would love to learn more about the people who live there and their lifestyles. I would imagine that of out necessity they have a very different approach to buying anything. Whatever it is, they'll have to get it up or down a lot of stairs.
In2ishn likes this.
dhuey is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:54 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Posts: 15,790
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I'm sure that the people who live next to that long set of staircases really hope that it never becomes a tourist destination. It's a most extraordinary little hillside neighborhood. Some of the houses are accessible only from the stairs. I would love to learn more about the people who live there and their lifestyles. I would imagine that of out necessity they have a very different approach to buying anything. Whatever it is, they'll have to get it up or down a lot of stairs.
Both the Greenwich and Filbert stairs are worth visiting (they are parallel, more or less a block apart). Go up one, visit Coit Tower, then down the other.

They already are a tourist destination and have been for a long time. They are included in books such as "Stairway Walks in San Francisco" by Adah Bakalinsky et al. (Originally published in 1984, it has undergone numerous updates/revisions and is currently in its 9th edition, published 2018.)
Amazon Amazon
In2ishn likes this.
KathyWdrf is offline  
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:17 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 4,645
Hayes Valley. Take bart to civic center and walk 10 minutes to hayes valley for tea/cafe, luncheon, dessert, and browsing.
In2ishn likes this.
gaobest is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread