Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO to hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
A question I'd ask the hotel is whether or not the driver will park and will be waiting for you at baggage claim with a sign. If this is the case it might be better then getting an Uber/Lyft.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeagent
A question I'd ask the hotel is whether or not the driver will park and will be waiting for you at baggage claim with a sign. If this is the case it might be better then getting an Uber/Lyft.
It would be good to know where the driver would meet us and where the car would be. The other issue is whether that would be better than a taxi.

From other posts, it sounds as if Uber/Lyft are not ideal from T1.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:34 pm

The UberX/Lyft pickup from the garage is not as bad as people say, IMO. Maybe it's a 5 minute walk at most, with the longest bit on a moving walkway, plus an elevator ride. I am not sure how hard it is for your companion to walk, but it might not be too bad.

If you want the curbside pickup or baggage claim pickup--understandable if you're still worried about too much walking--consider GroundLink, Blacklane, or similar? I just spot checked your route with GroundLink and they are asking $69, less than UberX and less than your hotel option.

For the return, just use UberX/Lyft. They will drop you off right at checkin.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by richarddd
It would be good to know where the driver would meet us and where the car would be. The other issue is whether that would be better than a taxi.

From other posts, it sounds as if Uber/Lyft are not ideal from T1.
Yeah, at this point I'm thinking taxi. You walk right up to the line and get a taxi. I'd be surprised if it's more than $85 w/tip. And you'll probably have a driver who knows how to drive through San Francisco streets. The route to your hotel destination from SFO isn't that complicated, but an experienced driver is way better than a Waze-wanderer.
freeagent, Eastbay1K and ryw like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:24 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When I did this last month, it was a mess. 2 canceled cars (one of which I saw, and waved to, and he canceled) and then a third who I had to wait some time for.
It helps to tell them you are wearing a red dress. ;-)
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I always taxi at Sfo and the drivers know how to get to our place - but once in sf, I’ll lyft (when not driving) because it’s hard to get (find) a taxi, even at union square hotels.

Have a fun visit. I don’t even know the Drisco and I’ll google it.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Oops. I know the Drisco but not the name - I used to walk past it a lot. Your legs will get some great exercise with the hills unless you’re always getting a pickup at the hotel. If you rent a car, parking is easy there.

Both taxi and hotel car service will be nice. I’ll assume that the hotel will have a very nice car.

The Drisco is in a residential hood but B Patisserie at California & divisadero is my favorite patisserie / sandwich cafe. 8 minute walk max. You can walk similar distance to Fillmore and there’ll also be nice dining. And you can walk to Ella’s at Presidio & California - I had brekky there with Corky 2 years ago.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
Yeah, at this point I'm thinking taxi. You walk right up to the line and get a taxi. I'd be surprised if it's more than $85 w/tip. And you'll probably have a driver who knows how to drive through San Francisco streets. The route to your hotel destination from SFO isn't that complicated, but an experienced driver is way better than a Waze-wanderer.
I think you're right. If I understand correctly, Uber/Lyft require walking to the garage, which is going to be farther than the taxi line, The hotel car is going to have to park somewhere, likely the garage, and we'd have to walk there.

We could take Uber/Lyft back to the airport, since they can drop-off at curbside.

FWIW, Uber's instructions for drivers are at https://www.uber.com/drive/san-franc...international/
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by richarddd
I think you're right. If I understand correctly, Uber/Lyft require walking to the garage, which is going to be farther than the taxi line, The hotel car is going to have to park somewhere, likely the garage, and we'd have to walk there.

We could take Uber/Lyft back to the airport, since they can drop-off at curbside.

FWIW, Uber's instructions for drivers are at https://www.uber.com/drive/san-franc...international/
Yes, it's maybe an extra five minutes of walking to the main Uber/Lyft pickup area in the garage. Taxi lines are right outside of baggage claims.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
The drive from SFO to Pac Heights isn't that outrageous especially if you are landing close to mid-day. You'd most likely take the 101 up towards the Golden Gate and get off at Octavia and then cut over towards Pacific & Broderick, it's essentially a straight shot and without much traffic. Uber wise it is around $40-50 one way in about 35 minutes.

I have taken BART to the Embarcadero station on Market, gone to the Hyatt and then called an Uber in the lobby/pickup area to take me to the other side of town. This is also a straight shot across California St and shouldn't be more than $10. This is cheaper/more convenient as a solo traveler during rush hour, versus paying for 2x BART tickets with no traffic.

BTW: The Hotel Drisco is a very good choice both venue and location wise, the manager is still a very good friend hope you enjoy the trip.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by safari ari; Aug 1, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by safari ari
The drive from SFO to Pac Heights isn't that outrageous especially if you are landing close to mid-day. You'd most likely take the 101 up towards the Golden Gate and get off at Octavia and then cut over towards Pacific & Broderick, it's essentially a straight shot and without much traffic. Uber wise it is around $40-50 one way in about 35 minutes.

I have taken BART to the Embarcadero station on Market, gone to the Hyatt and then called an Uber in the lobby/pickup area to take me to the other side of town. This is also a straight shot across California St and shouldn't be more than $10. This is cheaper/more convenient as a solo traveler during rush hour, versus paying for 2x BART tickets with no traffic.

BTW: The Hotel Drisco is a very good choice both venue and location wise, the manager is still a very good friend hope you enjoy the trip.
Google maps is showing about 35 minutes at the moment. Uber/Lyft is about $40 and a taxi about $60 according to taxifarefinder.com (both plus tips). The trade-off seems to be the extra money for a taxi versus walking to the garage and finding our Uber/Lyft. After a six-hour flight starting before 7:00 am, less hassle has value.

Door-to-door car is easier than BART.

Thank you for the good wishes.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
SF resident late to the party and just read the thread. Looks like you've landed on the correct trade offs for Taxi, Limo, Uber/Lyft. Given location of Drisco, absolutely don't do BART.
Drisco is a great location, but hard to walk around if you're not comfortable with hills, but as mentioned you'll be in a fantastic neighborhood, great views. Hotel was our home base when we got married in the Presidio. Enjoy your time here.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Since the Uber/Lyft change I've been using Execucar

With AAA or another corporate promo code, Execucar (a branch of SuperShuttle with Black cars) is about $65. You book in advance, call them when you arrive and they pick you up at arrivals. They also monitor the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.