Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO to hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

SFO to hotel?

I'm trying to figure out the best option for getting from SFO (B6 arriving from JFK on 10:00am on a weekday) to our hotel (Hotel Drisco, Pacific Heights). No checked baggage. My preference is whatever is fastest and easiest (and I'm traveling with someone who walks rather slowly).

Uber/Lyft - from other threads it seems pickup is inconvenient.

Taxi - is it easy to get to the pickup point and would there be much of a wait?

Hotel car - would they meet us in the terminal? Would it be a long walk to the car?

Similar question for returning to SFO.

Apologies if I've missed another thread covering this.

Last edited by richarddd; Jul 31, 2019 at 2:21 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without checked bags, Uber remains the easiest. If you want something a bit nicer, use Uber Black.

Any pre-arranged pickup is a hassle.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Cheapest would be BART to somewhere in downtown SF. It's frequent in the middle of a weekday and easy even with luggage. To get to your specific hotel you might be able to transfer (maybe to a cable car near Union Square) or just do Uber/Lyft/taxi. Others who know the route map can chime in on this and suggest the stop that would be closest to your hotel.

BTW, what does the hotel's website say about transportation?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Cheapest would be BART to somewhere in downtown SF. It's frequent in the middle of a weekday and easy even with luggage. To get to your specific hotel you might be able to transfer (maybe to a cable car near Union Square) or just do Uber/Lyft/taxi. Others who know the route map can chime in on this and suggest the stop that would be closest to your hotel.

I would normally agree re BART, but not with the OP's hotel in Pacific Heights. I'd take Uber/Lyft.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dhuey
I would normally agree re BART, but not with the OP's hotel in Pacific Heights. I'd take Uber/Lyft.
True, but the OP mentioned cheapest so I assume that cost is a concern. Moreover, at SFO currently there isn't a big difference between getting yourself and luggage to the Uber/Lyft spot versus just going to the BART station (which IIRC is signposted better so it's easier to find).
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Your Jetblue flight will arrive in the International Terminal A. All Int term app rides pickups are on the departures level where you exit security. For taxi you would go downstairs to the arrivals level. All similar walking distance.

Uber/Lyft would be fine if you go choose to got that route. I have pretty much switched over to Wingz for airport runs. You would need to request in advance. Same price as Uber/Lyft but will get you a driver assigned in advance and likely a much nicer and cleaner car. Taxi would be more expensive.

For the return, I would request Wingz in advance for the time you want to go to SFO and then not have to worry about it again.

Enjoy your stay at the Drisco. It has been several years, but that was my SF hotel of choice before I moved to the Bay Area. You will feel like a local. You could ask them about a car, but my recollection is that it is first come first served for for rides and not sure if SFO is included.

If you decide to try Wingz, PM me and I can send you a referral code with a credit.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

True, but the OP mentioned cheapest so I assume that cost is a concern. Moreover, at SFO currently there isn't a big difference between getting yourself and luggage to the Uber/Lyft spot versus just going to the BART station (which IIRC is signposted better so it's easier to find).

Cost is not a concern (within reason). I'd like whatever is fastest and easiest.

I'll edit the OP.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

"Daily chauffeur service to any destination within the city limits of San Francisco"

The concierge emailed to ask if I wanted them to arrange for their driver to transport us from SFO. Not free, but if it were easier than the alternatives, I'd go for it.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
BART is going to run near $20 one way for 2 people (with no Clipper card), plus an UBER/LYFT fare up the hill. Add another $14 for the cable car idea you had, and you're at $34. Add up to 15 minutes to wait for the BART train to depart. Add confusion during the SF BART exit, especially if looking for a pickup location for the UBER/LYFT. There's no stopping (and no thru-driving) on much of Market St. for private cars.

Easiest is an Uber Black, or other service that still is permitted curbside pickup. Next easiest would be a taxi, from the arrival level taxi stand.
Jetblue no longer uses the International Terminal, so there's no economy UBER/LYFT curbside pickup. You have to go to the parking lot for pickup for UberX or regular Lyft.

For your return to SFO, the cheaper UBER/LYFT can drop you off at departures, curbside.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Jetblue no longer uses the International Terminal, so there's no economy UBER/LYFT curbside pickup. You have to go to the parking lot for pickup for UberX or regular Lyft.

For your return to SFO, the cheaper UBER/LYFT can drop you off at departures, curbside.
Yes, the flights land at T1.

Is having the hotel arrange for pickup not a good option?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Yes, the flights land at T1.

Is having the hotel arrange for pickup not a good option?
Although it is probably a fine option, It just seems like more trouble than it is worth. If you're prepared to spend that sort of money (out of curiosity, how much was the quote), you might as well get the Uber Black or Lyft equivalent.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Although it is probably a fine option, It just seems like more trouble than it is worth. If you're prepared to spend that sort of money (out of curiosity, how much was the quote), you might as well get the Uber Black or Lyft equivalent.
The hotel option is $85. Uber Black is currently $110. Where would they pick up? Why would the hotel be more trouble than it's worth?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
The hotel option is $85. Uber Black is currently $110. Where would they pick up? Why would the hotel be more trouble than it's worth?
I didn't figure that Black would be so much more (or actually, the hotel so much less). If you take the Hotel option, please report where they meet you (name sign by baggage claim) and where you have to go for the car.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:20 pm
mjm
Original Member

Jump on the train from T1 to Int'l. Curbside Uber there is allowed at the first island from the terminal. Very easy to do.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
Jump on the train from T1 to Int'l. Curbside Uber there is allowed at the first island from the terminal. Very easy to do.
When I did this last month, it was a mess. 2 canceled cars (one of which I saw, and waved to, and he canceled) and then a third who I had to wait some time for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.