FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   SJC Gates 31-36 (Interim Gates Facility) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1979653-sjc-gates-31-36-interim-gates-facility.html)

darthbimmer Jul 22, 2019 5:15 pm

SJC Gates 31-36 (Interim Gates Facility)

Last night on my flight into SJC I heard the purser announce, "We'll be landing at Gate 33." That's got to be a mistake, I thought to myself. SJC doesn't have that many gates. I was wrong! There's a new wing connected to Terminal B, with gates 31-36. A quick news search shows that it opened less than 2 months ago.

SJC calls this new wing the Interim Gates Facility. Inside it's very low-rent, with simple, cracker-box construction and a minimum of modern creature comforts inside. It reminds me of schools I attended that were built hastily in the population boom years of the 1950s-60s. Many of those were originally considered temporary; quickly thrown up basic, cinder block buildings intended just to meet the space crunch until nicer facilities could be designed and built. Well, decades later those schools were still there, the "temporary" having become permanent as political will to budget for anything nicer evaporated. We'll see if this "Interim" facility also remains years from now....

kennycrudup Jul 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Which airline? (I ask 'cause you'd mentioned "purser", but I thought only WN used those additional gates.)

garykung Jul 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 31331383)
We'll see if this "Interim" facility also remains years from now....

The exterior design likes many express terminals elsewhere. Rest assure that this will be permanent unless SJC will have a new terminal for WN (moving or newly built).

cptlflyer Jul 23, 2019 1:43 pm

When commissioning the new gates, SJC leadership was quick to indicate that planning was already underway for a permanent expansion. They even had conceptual drawings on hand to show press. I cannot imagine such a tight space will satisfy the needs of SJC medium-to-long term. It's already bursting at the seams even WITH the added gates (security, baggage, etc.)

https://airwaysmag.com/airports/san-...mmense-growth/

darthbimmer Jul 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by cptlflyer (Post 31334442)
I cannot imagine such a tight space will satisfy the needs of SJC medium-to-long term. It's already bursting at the seams even WITH the added gates (security, baggage, etc.)

Indeed, the IGF only adds gates to the airport. It does not add facilities or space for check-in counters, security screening, baggage claim, or shopping and dining.

garykung Jul 23, 2019 9:57 pm

I cannot imagine such a tight space will satisfy the needs of SJC medium-to-long term.

Difficult to say. Even the City of San Jose can't answer you.

SJC is perceived the worst airports among the 3 major one within the Bay Area, given that it is the only airport without convenient public transportation. VX was previously pulled out from SJC. Its SFO hub has been assumed by AS. OAK is still WN's main focus city in the area. Many other airlines just maintain a minimal presence at SJC.

So the question is given their respective commitment with SFO/OAK, will AS/WN invest significantly in SJC?

The fate of SJC can be only answered by AS/WN.

kennycrudup Jul 24, 2019 5:52 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31335822)
SJC is perceived the worst airports among the 3 major one within the Bay Area, given that it is the only airport without convenient public transportation

According to whom? SJC is a breeze compared to the others otherwise.

ucdtim17 Jul 24, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 31336655)

I haven't been to SJC in a few years but I assume it and OAK have a similar level of breeziness compared to SFO. OAK has the added convenience of the BART connection, but SJC has in general added much more useful service in the past few years and has the benefit of two airlines (WN, AS and maybe soon DL) competing hard for market share while OAK basically just has WN.

DELee Jul 24, 2019 12:33 pm

If you like buses.

David

garykung Jul 24, 2019 2:27 pm

I don't what kind of breeze you are talking about.

1. SFO - Direct BART service, every 15-20 minutes. Samtrans SFO-Millbrae Station shuttle with Caltrains or BART. Midnight options available.

2. OAK - Auxiliary BART service connecting main BART service, every 6 minutes. AC Transits Line 73 connecting OAK-Coliseum BART. Midnight options available.

3. SJC - VTA Airport Flyer (Route #10 ) is the only public transportation option going to SJC. Many connections with the Airport Flyer have questionable schedules. No midnight option.

And BART has no plan going to SJC.

LIH Prem Jul 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Alaska was using some temporary gates at that end of the terminal. Did that single hallway with (I forget if there were just 2 gates there?) get replaced by this new thing? We've been using those gates for a while now. Much better than being shunted to the gates in the other terminal.

-David

kennycrudup Jul 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31338455)
I don't what kind of breeze you are talking about.

I have a car (or someone else's; Uber/Lyft). It's a breeze.

kennycrudup Jul 24, 2019 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 31339097)
Did that single hallway with (I forget if there were just 2 gates there?) get replaced by this new thing?

Extended on top of those (gates 27(?)-30 are still there, then the hallway).

squeakr Jul 25, 2019 11:36 am

Enough with the snark OK?

I too am surprised that this very simple thread went South. Unless you have something to add that’s relevant please refrain from commenting on other members.

thanks

squeakr
mod SFO

Zorak Jul 28, 2019 12:19 am

I flew WN out of gate 35 earlier this week...

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 31331383)
SJC calls this new wing the Interim Gates Facility. Inside it's very low-rent, with simple, cracker-box construction and a minimum of modern creature comforts inside.

... it definitely felt like a dump. Like the B43+ part of JFK T4 except worse -- and DL uses those gates for regional jets so fewer pax. My flight was Monday night and not very crowded but I doubt it's a pleasant experience at peak times.

Bit of a walk too.

When commissioning the new gates, SJC leadership was quick to indicate that planning was already underway for a permanent expansion. They even had conceptual drawings on hand to show press. I cannot imagine such a tight space will satisfy the needs of SJC medium-to-long term. It's already bursting at the seams even WITH the added gates (security, baggage, etc.)

https://airwaysmag.com/airports/san-...mmense-growth/

FTFA: "This facility is expected to operate for five to seven years while Terminal B Phase 2 Expansion is being planned and built. The design of the Interim Gates Facility allows it to remain 100% operational during Terminal B expansion construction."

Ugh. I just mentally increased the fare differential I'm willing to pay to fly DL over WN on SJC-LAS.