Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO to NYC (Jetblue, Delta, or AA in Economy) ADA

Old Jul 14, 19, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

my diabled mother will fly SFO/OAK to JFK/LGA - Which airline? Jetlbue, AAm or Delta would be best for her needs? She doesn't have anything asides from an AA card which gives priority boarding and free luggage (which is not going to be an advantage given horror stories of AA) - I have tried SFO to JFK with delta and they gave free food. Jetblue has a mint flight which then makes us in Economy not have the front row.... So I dont know which is best.

Can anyone please suggest?

for Aug/Sep
Old Jul 15, 19, 9:51 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Iíd recommend taking a nonstop with a disabled person as you only have to board and deplane once and do not have to worry about a connection, so that leaves LGA out of the question and OAK (JetBlue has one nonstop out OAK but itís a red eye). United flys to EWR which could work for you as well depending on your final destination.

As as far as specific airline recommendations go it depends on what you value the most. Are you checking bags? Do you care if the bags are free? Would you like inflight meals? What times are you looking to fly? Which airport is the easiest to get to and from? Youíll get extra time to board on pretty much every airline.
Old Jul 15, 19, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

I do want a free bag which AA will give us for fee but heard horror stories flying with them, and I actually never tried them yet. Delta was a breeze from SFO TO JFK... Meal and entertainment would be appreciated and the hard product of the seats. What would you suggest? They all are in the same pricing from SFO TO JFK.
Old Jul 17, 19, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS DL
One factor might be how far she can walk.

At SFO, Delta, Alaska and American gates are close to check in. United gates tend to be farther away. At JFK, American gates are a little closer, even the remote concourse compared with the very long finger concourse at Terminal 4 (Delta). Alaska's gates at JFK Terminal 7 are very close to the terminal exit. Advantage: Alaska

At EWR, Alaska is more convenient than United.

Try to take a nonstop. That might mean:
OAK-JFK Jet Blue
SFO-JFK American, Delta, Alaska
SFO-EWR United, Alaska
Old Jul 17, 19, 10:25 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
JetBlue also does SFO-JFK nonstop. I assume that she would get pre-boarding on any airline. It sounds like you'd be flying economy?

I've only done JetBlue, Delta, (and a while ago, United) on this route so I can't speak to the AA or Alaska experience. Haven't had a problem with any of them (though you can see in my profile I tend to fly Delta more often). Each has pros/cons depending on what's important to you. If looking only at regular coach seats (and not first or extra legroom seats), then JetBlue will have the most legroom. I believe Delta/United legroom would be comparable. United I think is also the only airline that flies widebody (2 aisle) airplanes on this route - I see some 777 and 787s mixed in with single-aisle 757s, which could be advantageous for getting up during the flight (though I personally would not want to fly on a Boeing 777 with 3-4-3 seating layout in economy, as that is a bit cramped side-to-side for me).

Delta is the only airline that provides a complimentary meal in coach on this route (usually the choice of some type of sandwich, wrap, or a cheese and fruit plate).

Entertainment-wise, Delta (and I think United) offer a variety of movies and TV on seatback screens and/or streamed to your device. JetBlue has live DirecTV on seatback screens, and free wifi.
Old Jul 17, 19, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
JetBlue also does SFO-JFK nonstop. I assume that she would get pre-boarding on any airline. It sounds like you'd be flying economy?

I've only done JetBlue, Delta, (and a while ago, United) on this route so I can't speak to the AA or Alaska experience. Haven't had a problem with any of them (though you can see in my profile I tend to fly Delta more often). Each has pros/cons depending on what's important to you. If looking only at regular coach seats (and not first or extra legroom seats), then JetBlue will have the most legroom. I believe Delta/United legroom would be comparable. United I think is also the only airline that flies widebody (2 aisle) airplanes on this route - I see some 777 and 787s mixed in with single-aisle 757s, which could be advantageous for getting up during the flight (though I personally would not want to fly on a Boeing 777 with 3-4-3 seating layout in economy, as that is a bit cramped side-to-side for me).

Delta is the only airline that provides a complimentary meal in coach on this route (usually the choice of some type of sandwich, wrap, or a cheese and fruit plate).

Entertainment-wise, Delta (and I think United) offer a variety of movies and TV on seatback screens and/or streamed to your device. JetBlue has live DirecTV on seatback screens, and free wifi.
American flies the three class A321T between SFO and JFK. It is configured for only 102 passengers, 10 F, 20 J, 36 MCE and 36 Y.

Meals, i.e., a wrap or a sandwich, chips and a cookie, are complimentary in coach on this route (as well as LAX-SFO).

The A321T has seatback IFE with tons of free movies and TV shows, as well as streaming entertainment to your own device.
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
To some extent I think it depends on the nature of her disability.

If itís that she canít walk long distances, and might need a wheelchair, my experience with Delta at JFK is that the gate can be a pretty long distance from where you enter. But the experience on board was pretty great. But I also fly comfort plus Ė I donít know what standard economy would be like.

Is she disabled so that she will not be able to get in and out of her seat by herself? In that case I would definitely go for E plus.

Regarding AA Ė I think you will hear horror stories about every airline so I donít know that a straight shot SFO to New York on AA is any worse than anybody else. But I canít speak to the other aspects.

Although Newark is more prone to delays, I actually slightly prefer SFO Ė EWR on United in E plus. Newark seems easier to navigate and Many of the flights are widebodies that I find more comfortable.

I also would consider bringing something to eat it if it is important. I tend not to book Airlines based on whether they offer me free food or not, although the Delta flights do from SFO to JFK.

having just recently flown in and out of JFK and EWR , I slightly prefer EWR. I found JFK a real pain, lines and lines and lines of people for every single thing I had to do - The line for bag drop only was over an hour long - and the walk to my Delta gate was easily 15 minutes.

Search this Thread