FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
International Terminal Reconfiguration "Update"

https://kcbsradio.radio.com/media/au...econfiguration

No date planned.
Old May 29, 19, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Consolidating the A/G security checkpoints has been a part of SFO's long term Airport Development Plan, along with building a new Concourse H. Interesting they didn't give any timeline about when they would be consolidating the checkpoints, but would defiantly be a benefit.

More info on the SFO Airport Development Plan: http://media.flysfo.com.s3.amazonaws...raft_Final.pdf
Old May 30, 19, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Wouldnít this make the main hall really congested? There would be much less landslide space in it.
Old Jul 4, 19, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
This seems pointless as the current international terminal works quite well and I can't imagine there are many passengers connecting from A-G and vice versa.

The expansion plan (concourse H) also seems quite foolish given the ATC limitations imposed by weather and current runway configuration. Then again it seems like they do not have enough gates for the current level of traffic, so maybe there is some potential value. Though I expect things will improve as gates in the renovated T-1 open and domestic flights move out of the international terminal.
Old Jul 4, 19, 11:11 pm

I also donít understand this major renovation of International. It would be atypical for someone to want to go airside between A and G. Maybe some us lounge-hoppers, thatís not a high priority.

More important is connecting the domestic terminals airside with International. That is already partly done (Unitedís T3 with Star Alliance in G), and in the works for T2-T1-A. Once that is done, there wonít be many passengers who need to re-clear security after arriving on a domestic flight for an international departure, or for a domestic connection after arriving on a pre-cleared international flight.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I also donít understand this major renovation of International. It would be atypical for someone to want to go airside between A and G. Maybe some us lounge-hoppers, thatís not a high priority.

More important is connecting the domestic terminals airside with International. That is already partly done (Unitedís T3 with Star Alliance in G), and in the works for T2-T1-A. Once that is done, there wonít be many passengers who need to re-clear security after arriving on a domestic flight for an international departure, or for a domestic connection after arriving on a pre-cleared international flight.
How many airport employees need to go between A and G on a daily basis? Foodservice or retail workers? Customer assistance (such as wheelchair) personnel? It also provides more flexibility for common use. It doesn't seem like a high priority matter, but it does make overall sense to eventually have the entire airport behind one airside loop.
Old Jul 5, 19, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
How many airport employees need to go between A and G on a daily basis? Foodservice or retail workers? Customer assistance (such as wheelchair) personnel? It also provides more flexibility for common use. It doesn't seem like a high priority matter, but it does make overall sense to eventually have the entire airport behind one airside loop.
Sure, but at what cost? I don't see any wasted space right now in the main hall of International. If they make a large portion of the eastern side of it airside, and they put the security gates in the main hall, that's maybe half of the current landside space. What will the check-in areas be like with so much less space?

After T1 construction is done, the only remaining airside connection needed will be T2 to T3. Put an airside hallway there and it's one big arch, airside. Yes, that's a longer walk for the relatively few who need to go from G to A (as opposed to going straight across the main hall in International), but vastly cheaper and space-saving.
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sure, but at what cost? I don't see any wasted space right now in the main hall of International. If they make a large portion of the eastern side of it airside, and they put the security gates in the main hall, that's maybe half of the current landside space. What will the check-in areas be like with so much less space?

After T1 construction is done, the only remaining airside connection needed will be T2 to T3. Put an airside hallway there and it's one big arch, airside. Yes, that's a longer walk for the relatively few who need to go from G to A (as opposed to going straight across the main hall in International), but vastly cheaper and space-saving.
http://media.flysfo.com.s3.amazonaws...Departures.pdf

Oy gevalt! I had initially envisioned something like the "External" connector (and maybe I once saw it on some sort of diagram, such as on the alternatives on the attachment). But it looks like whatever is going to happen is going to be messy and take years.
Old Jul 5, 19, 3:06 pm

http://media.flysfo.com.s3.amazonaws...Departures.pdf

Oy gevalt! I had initially envisioned something like the "External" connector (and maybe I once saw it on some sort of diagram, such as on the alternatives on the attachment). But it looks like whatever is going to happen is going to be messy and take years.
The cheapest design I can imagine (caveat: I know nothing about this stuff) is some sort of long hallway that runs east of the main hall and enters A/G behind security. Even that seems hugely expensive.
Old Jul 5, 19, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The cheapest design I can imagine (caveat: I know nothing about this stuff) ....
Exception to hearsay rule. Check!
Old Jul 5, 19, 4:10 pm

Exception to hearsay rule. Check!
The great thing about warning that you know nothing about what you're about to say is that no matter how stupid it ends up being, you can always fall back on your warning.
Old Jul 5, 19, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The great thing about warning that you know nothing about what you're about to say is that no matter how stupid it ends up being, you can always fall back on your warning.
And not to go too way way off the topic (although I guess I'm allowed, as I'm the OP), is that I agree with you. In fact, this was my qualifier from my earlier comment today in the AS forum. " But then I might just be passing gas out of my mouth "
Old Jul 5, 19, 4:39 pm

And not to go too way way off the topic (although I guess I'm allowed, as I'm the OP), is that I agree with you. In fact, this was my qualifier from my earlier comment today in the AS forum. " But then I might just be passing gas out of my mouth "
Regardless, in my experience the airport workers fly though security and impose very little burden on it. They usually aren't carrying anything, so they flash their badge, go through the scanner, and done. And it would seem like a rare occasion where there would be a need to move goods, supplies, etc. from airside A/G to the other airside.

Search this Thread