Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO to move all Uber, Lyft pick ups to central parking lot

SFO to move all Uber, Lyft pick ups to central parking lot

Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:29 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've walked across from 3 to 1 on the lowest level without issue. There's decent signage.
Great tip, I walked from B to G today on the lowest level of the parking lot (decent signs and painted crosswalks, which I never realized existed on the ground floor of the parking lot!). Perhaps not quite as fun or refreshing as walking across the rooftop deck, but definitely a lot less traffic. There were still several staff people standing around near the parking lot elevators to direct people to the new TNC pickup points.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
I had to pick up my brother-in-law and his wife at the international terminal Thursday night, early on in this Uber/Lyft move. It was a disaster trying to get into the airport itself because rideshare vehicles were clogging the entry roadways. I was coming from the south and traffic trying to get into SFO was stopped on the freeway about a mile or so from the SFO exit. I continued north, past the airport and came back in the opposite direction (from San Francisco) and I could reach the I terminal. Roadways into T1, 2 and 3 appeared to be moving okay once traffic passed the rideshare lane.

Traffic at the I terminal was its usual chaotic self with people stopping anywhere they damn well pleased. I’d estimate roughly 60% of the cars I saw were rideshare vehicles.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Still bad. Remember that you can walk over to the International Terminal and still get an Uber/Lyft there curbside at the departures level.

Another Sunday night meltdown at SFO
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...O-14014429.php
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Because of this mess- I had three heavy bags So I wound up booking an execucar black car when I got to SFO. They are able to pick up at the terminals And with tip was $20 cheaper than Uber black would’ve been. However, the black car driver from ExecuCar flaked so I wound up getting a SuperShuttle van all to myself for the same price without having to go to the parking lot or the international terminal.

Last edited by squeakr; Jun 23, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:20 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Before the garage pickup was made mandatory, it was an option in the app to save a few dollars. I actually liked it a lot. It seemed more civilized than dealing with curb traffic; the driver would park, you could load up bags at a normal pace, etc.

But when I got in Thursday night last week, it was apparently chaos. My driver called me and told me that he couldn't actually access the garage and the app was estimating a 15 minute wait to get in. So we ended up just meeting at the international terminal because it was hopeless otherwise.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago

But when I got in Thursday night last week, it was apparently chaos. My driver called me and told me that he couldn't actually access the garage and the app was estimating a 15 minute wait to get in. So we ended up just meeting at the international terminal because it was hopeless otherwise.
Glad that worked out for you. I arrived today, outside approximately 12:45PM (Int'l arrival). LYFT gave a few sign post numbers to choose from. So, I chose one of them.

First driver - after several minutes, I see him arriving (in the furthest lane). I waved. He waved me back a no - and canceled the ride.
Second driver - he called quickly. I told him I was at Int'l by sign #15 . He was surprised I was at Int'l. I saw on the app him going around (but never into int'l) then away from the airport. I finally canceled (even though the app said he was waiting for me - where? Never at the airport). The app said "due to problems with your ride, no cancellation fee." No idea what happened.
Third driver - she called. I told her exactly where I was. She suggested that someone else might be able to pick me up faster. I asked her to come anyway, that I've already had 2 drivers flake. It took several minutes, but she arrived, and was quite pleasant to talk with for what turned into an increasingly-traffic-filled ride. (The ride would have originally been 10 to 15 minutes faster if Driver 1 had stopped ... but as the afternoon creeps on...)

Lots of frustration by others awaiting their Ubers and Lyfts at Int'l this afternoon.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:24 pm

Man, its almost like you want to take BART one stop to San Bruno and get your Uber/Lyft there. Better yet, AirTrain to the rental car center.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dhuey
Man, its almost like you want to take BART one stop to San Bruno and get your Uber/Lyft there. Better yet, AirTrain to the rental car center.
I came in on Sunday evening on an International flight and it was a cluster at the pick up area for the car share companies. I took the free airport shuttle to the Millbrae Bart station ~ 15 minutes and ordered an Uber, ~5 minutes. Bonus, did not have to pay the SFO surcharge and probably was the same wait time at SFO.
dhuey and CDTraveler like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:31 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
You know, there is the old "Kiss and Fly" dropoff at the car rental facility. I wonder if you could pick that as the pick up location and not pay the airport fees?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just last Friday, arrived at 6.30pm International Terminal. Went out to the hotel shuttle island and witnessed an Uber yank in to the shuttle slot behind a hotel shuttle and let someone out. Before he could pull out another shuttle pulled in behind him. I mean right up on his bumper. He'd pulled right up behind the shuttle in front, so the driver couldn't open the rear door without scratching his hood, but that didn't stop him from trying and the Uber had nowhere to back up. Shuttles weren't interested in moving at all.
It was a most amusing piece of street theater while I waited for my shuttle.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
You know, there is the old "Kiss and Fly" dropoff at the car rental facility. I wonder if you could pick that as the pick up location and not pay the airport fees?
I have no idea, but my guess is no airport fees at the rental car center. It probably never occurred to anyone that there would be many Uber/Lyft pickups there.

My sense from what Ive seen posted here and in the press is that unless youre using Uber Black or SUV (which uses the regular roadway), you want to take the free BART shuttle to Milbrae if youre heading south, or AirTrain Blue Line to the rental car facility if youre going north. Get your Uber/Lyft in one of those locations. Get away from the chaos.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I took the free airport shuttle to the Millbrae Bart station
[left]you want to take the free BART shuttle to Milbrae if youre heading south
there's a free shuttle to Millbrae? Not that I particularly care because I have 2-zone Caltrain monthly pass and therefore a samTrans monthly pass too, but I was unaware.

Note for those with linked Lyft/DL accounts, at least once I have had a pickup somewhere in Millbrae count as an airport ride and earn 2x SkyPesos.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Zorak
there's a free shuttle to Millbrae? Not that I particularly care because I have 2-zone Caltrain monthly pass and therefore a samTrans monthly pass too, but I was unaware.

Note for those with linked Lyft/DL accounts, at least once I have had a pickup somewhere in Millbrae count as an airport ride and earn 2x SkyPesos.
Hah, now I notice you started the thread on the SamTrans route, for others who might not have seen it:
SamTrans "SFO" route <-> Millbrae Caltrain launched June 24, 2018
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Hah, now I notice you started the thread on the SamTrans route, for others who might not have seen it:
SamTrans "SFO" route <-> Millbrae Caltrain launched June 24, 2018

I stand corrected. I was traveling with my wife and it appears she paid while I was outside getting our luggage together. .
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
SFO spokesman Doug Yakel said last week brought a breakthrough regarding the parking problem.

“The wait-times were cut in half compared to two Sundays ago,” said Yakel. "At the same time, as we cut those wait-times in half, we saw 2,000 more pick-ups by Uber and Lyft. So, we’re actually accommodating more and people are waiting less time.”

The airport has opened a second dedicated lane for Uber and Lyft drivers to speed things along and installed new signage to direct these drivers and passengers to the correct areas.
https://kcbsradio.radio.com/blogs/do...t-pickup-rules

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.