Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO Passport Control Mess

SFO Passport Control Mess

Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
To those of us for whom it is not available...
Are you not a UK national? Of course I understand that residing near Heathrow doesn't mean you are, but I'm curious to know why GE is unavailable to you.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This OP puzzled me since I fly through SFO regularly and, though I'm GE, have never noticed extraordinary crowds such as those described. So I checked the CPB Wait Times website https://awt.cbp.gov
And I see that indeed on April 9, between 1 pm and 6 pm the max wait times (for non citizens) were between 220 and 165 minutes. At 3 pm, it was 218 minutes.
However, that's between twice and four times the normal wait times for non citizens. Not sure what created this anomaly - an extraordinary number of international arrivals, lack of CPB personnel, IT problems, or a combination of these - but it is not a regular occurrence.
I was once hung up in a mob at JFK for two hours (pre-GE) because they were unable to machine read the passports. When I finally got through the CPB officer told me the rule was "No swipe, no go." Even though only two years before, they weren't machine reading passports at all and they still could have done the job without it.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rickg523
This OP puzzled me since I fly through SFO regularly and, though I'm GE, have never noticed extraordinary crowds such as those described. So I checked the CPB Wait Times website https://awt.cbp.gov
And I see that indeed on April 9, between 1 pm and 6 pm the max wait times (for non citizens) were between 220 and 165 minutes. At 3 pm, it was 218 minutes.
However, that's between twice and four times the normal wait times for non citizens. Not sure what created this anomaly - an extraordinary number of international arrivals, lack of CPB personnel, IT problems, or a combination of these - but it is not a regular occurrence.
I was once hung up in a mob at JFK for two hours (pre-GE) because they were unable to machine read the passports. When I finally got through the CPB officer told me the rule was "No swipe, no go." Even though only two years before, they weren't machine reading passports at all and they still could have done the job without it.
I've noticed that sometimes, the hall is backed up to the entry way to the hall (with luggage stacked up all over after having been removed from the carousels), and other times, ghost-town-city. A few "A" side arrivals per year. I don't recall when my last "G" side arrival was.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've noticed that sometimes, the hall is backed up to the entry way to the hall (with luggage stacked up all over after having been removed from the carousels), and other times, ghost-town-city. A few "A" side arrivals per year. I don't recall when my last "G" side arrival was.
I forgot to mention that data was for A. I didn't even scroll down to G after seeing those wait times because I thought that was mess the OP got caught in.

Last edited by rickg523; May 2, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 1:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's a blog today about the line at SFO last week (also with photos). I've never seen lines like this.

Passengers were clearly agitated, with some on the phone trying to reschedule their connecting flights and others simply taking pictures.

Of course, ground staff were barking orders at them and being generally unhelpful.

As it turned out, this was the line for foreign visitors. The line for U.S. Citizens was much shorter (Global Entry kiosks were totally empty).
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....gration-lines/
Old May 11, 2019, 10:04 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
My GE experience at SFO on 4/30 at around noon off of an early-arriving UA 900 from LHR, mirrored the other experiences. Although the line for non-US admitees was L-O-N-G and their area was crowded, there was only a small line for US citizens and no line to approach the kiosks for GE. As soon as I printed my kiosk receipt, there was a walking-around officer who took one look at it, collected it, and said that I could bypass going to a booth, and proceed directly to baggage claim. A few others got that same offer -- so quite expedited service for those with GE.

Actually, this SFO situation mirrored my arrival a week earlier into LHR: got to immigration at 7:30 am to discover a hugely crowded hall for non U.K./E.U. arrivals. Fortunately was in Business, so had the magic access to get into expedited Immigration. Took about 5-6 mins. instead of hours.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 11, 2019 at 10:12 am Reason: To close the loop by comparing with UK arrivals.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Although I've never seen lines like those above, I've seen it close.

In my experience, Intl A is generally far worse than Intl G, which I suspect has a lot to do with the fact that A has more foreign airlines than G (which generally means more foreign citizens). In general things are worst if you end up behind a few flights landing from Asia, especially from countries where people don't necessarily speak English, which results in the flow of people through immigration being slower. If that happens to be a flight (or three) on an Asian carrier (again, generally more foreigners than Americans) then it's normally even worse.

That said, the blog photos above do appear to be Intl G - but have they re-arranged the counters? US Citizens (non-GE) always used to be on the right, but the photos above show both Citizens and GE on the left, and Visitors on the right.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Although I've never seen lines like those above, I've seen it close.

In my experience, Intl A is generally far worse than Intl G, which I suspect has a lot to do with the fact that A has more foreign airlines than G (which generally means more foreign citizens). In general things are worst if you end up behind a few flights landing from Asia, especially from countries where people don't necessarily speak English, which results in the flow of people through immigration being slower. If that happens to be a flight (or three) on an Asian carrier (again, generally more foreigners than Americans) then it's normally even worse.

That said, the blog photos above do appear to be Intl G - but have they re-arranged the counters? US Citizens (non-GE) always used to be on the right, but the photos above show both Citizens and GE on the left, and Visitors on the right.
Yes, they have and it seems to have become worse since they did that (although it could be that it's just the Spring weight of traffic that's done it, rather than the re-arrangement).

The (only) amusing thing from my point of view is that, in the hour long wait before they separated US from foreign, people were more polite. Now, in the foreign queue, stripped of US citizens, the mood is much darker and escalates during the 3 hour wait until everyone snaps out of it for their 30 seconds of doing with a human what they've already did three hours previously with a machine.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I flew in on Sunday on UA949 and it was rammed. I took pictures but have not uploaded them as yet so if you can imagine the line stretching out the hall down to about gate 94, then you have it about right. I landed at about 1500. GE was as clear as I have seen it. For visitors it was appalling. Something is not working.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:49 am

https://awt.cbp.gov/

This site shows the wait times.

International G has a different queue for immigration than International A, correct? I arrived on Cathay last December but for the life of me can not remember coming through immigration.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
International G has a different queue for immigration than International A, correct?
Correct. Two completely separate halls, though they look almost identical.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I flew in on Sunday on UA949 and it was rammed. I took pictures but have not uploaded them as yet so if you can imagine the line stretching out the hall down to about gate 94, then you have it about right. I landed at about 1500. GE was as clear as I have seen it. For visitors it was appalling. Something is not working.
So this is what it looked like down the hall:

Boraxo and ContinentalFan like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:10 pm

10 years ago I flew in to SFO (and connected to southern California) rather than go through LAX but now I think SFO is the worse for arriving if you do not have GE
Old May 15, 2019, 10:16 pm

Wow. This looks awful. I always fly through with GE, but this is no way to welcome our foreign visitors.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Really curious if SFO is one of those "lending" personnel to the southern border. The Washington Post ran an article a few days ago about resources being moved from the northern border. Haven't seen anything yet addressing SFO or any other Northern CA airport.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection says 731 northern border agents from land, sea and airports are in the process of being sent to the U.S.-Mexico border, where they will help their southern counterparts handle the influx of families and unaccompanied children from Central America.
...and this:

While CBP wouldn’t specify where the agents are coming from, they are being drawn from 328 ports of entry.
US-Canada border transfers raise fear of delayed crossings
Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.