Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Announces 20-Day Closure of Runway 28L in September 2019 for Reconstruction

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

SFO Announces 20-Day Closure of Runway 28L in September 2019 for Reconstruction

https://sfoconnect.com/about/news/96365-sfo-announces-20-day-closure-runway-28l-september-2019-reconstruction

I heard about this while passing through San Francisco last week. There was an airport spokesperson on the radio (IIRC) saying that they were anticipating high rates of flight cancellation and delay during this period, especially for flights departing later than "early morning". You would think the airport and airlines would be doing whatever is necessary to a avoid this (reducing schedules, building schedules around SJC and OAK...).. Maybe what I heard was ill-informed. Still, sounds like a mess in the making.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It should cause landings to be about as bad as an inclement weather day plus a little bit more, and departures to suffer up to 25%, as compared to good weather ops. Looks like a good period not to be flying via SFO for short domestic hops.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
With so much advance notice, the airlines might adjust their SFO schedules with the 28L closure in mind. I agree with my right honourable colleague, Eastbay1K. that the short flights will be most affected. We'll see. I'll be rolling the dice in this period on a flight to Boston.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:13 am

Flying TAP to LIS in this period not really worried about it, but nice to know.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
With so much advance notice, the airlines might adjust their SFO schedules with the 28L closure in mind. I agree with my right honourable colleague, Eastbay1K. that the short flights will be most affected. We'll see. I'll be rolling the dice in this period on a flight to Boston.
haha. I wouldn't. When Toronto was doing a lot of construction and shutdowns they acted like everything was perfectly normal when they scheduled the flights, and then cancelled things left and right and had people delayed for hours and days.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dhuey
That's what airlines have done when JFK did runway construction. They went ahead and padded flights with insane travel times so for example JFK-RDU which is 431 miles was blocked at 2hr35.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I wonder if AS will preemptively move several non-Airbus ops a day to OAK. it did plenty of this during the past winter.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have already booked a trip to / from SFO for September (arriving from LHR on Sept 14, flying back on Sept 21) so will keep an eye on this. But I assume the impact on long haul flights will be minor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.