SFO This Morning

Old Mar 23, 19, 8:24 am
Original Poster

SFO This Morning

Airport security seems to be shut down, at least T3 and International. Anyone know what's going on? No info on airport website. United claims "operations are normal; no delays" (1K phone line.) Airport monitors show on-time. 60 minutes, no announcements.

UPDATE: Whatever it was, a little after 8:00AM, things returned to abnormal.

Moderators: Feel free to delete this thread.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Mar 23, 19 at 9:51 am
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/Security-incident-creates-chaotic-scene-at-SFO-13711116.php

At 6:35 a.m., TSA agents identified a "threat item" in a passenger's bag during security screening, but the wrong bag was pulled from the security line and the actual bag containing the magazine was grabbed by the owner.

"The passenger did what any passenger would, "Morgan said. "The passenger was unaware he did anything wrong."

From there, TSA agents realized the mistake and shut down security as they attempted to find the passenger with the loaded magazine.

TheyThey located the passenger at 7:35 a.m., and security lines were re-opened. All United flights were grounded due to the incident.

There was no firearm in the bag, just the loaded magazine.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
"Security Incident" apparently... According to SFGate :

Airport Duty Manager Chris Morgan told SFGATE that security lines were shut down for an hour after a TSA mistake led to a passenger bringing a loaded magazine into the terminal.

At 6:35 a.m., TSA agents identified a "threat item" in a passenger's bag during security screening, but the wrong bag was pulled from the security line and the actual bag containing the magazine was grabbed by the owner.
Old Mar 23, 19, 12:26 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
As much as I'm looking forward to the (eventual) day when SFO is fully connected airside, I do suppose that having 4 different airside zones is useful for containing events like this. I'm sure it wasn't a very pleasant morning for United travelers and folks going out of International G stuck in the lines, but at least folks traveling on other airlines out of other terminals weren't affected.
Old Mar 23, 19, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
As much as I'm looking forward to the (eventual) day when SFO is fully connected airside, I do suppose that having 4 different airside zones is useful for containing events like this. I'm sure it wasn't a very pleasant morning for United travelers and folks going out of International G stuck in the lines, but at least folks traveling on other airlines out of other terminals weren't affected.
That thought has crossed my mind on days when I see, i.e., all of ATL evacuated.
Old Mar 23, 19, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Just to summarize the experience, traveler's perspective, security started flowing again at International a couple of minutes before 8:00AM. TSA screening was pretty effective in clearing the line. I was about a city block and a half from the point where the pre-check line begins to snake; I hit the x-ray machine at 8:30AM. My 8:41AM flight was held for everyone. We pushed back 9:15AM and were airborne about 9:45AM. Overall, it seemed like a pretty good outcome, once the "damage was done". I wish that someone had announced something. Anything. Then again, I kind-of "get it" when there is an error-caused security breach.
Old Mar 24, 19, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
A few years ago when I was at SEA they had a similar security breach (someone walked back through an exit into the airside area, or something like that). They very quickly blocked key points along the terminal, in effect turning the single air-side area into multiple divided sections so that they could still continue operations in part of the terminal, and only needed to search one or two parts of the terminal.

Unfortunately due to where the incident had occurred there was no way to get from TSA to the United gates, so all flights from that part of the airport were suspended, but I believe other areas were still operational.

Of course this would depend on exactly what the incident was and where it occurred, but it seems that due to the layout of SFO doing something similar would be fairly simple. In fact, they could potentially even use it to their benefit - if T3 was closed due to an incident and they could successfully split it off from T2 and Intl-G then you could push people to those other two terminals to clear security, and once the incident has been cleared simply let them straight back into T3 without the additional delay of going through security.
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Of course this would depend on exactly what the incident was and where it occurred, but it seems that due to the layout of SFO doing something similar would be fairly simple. In fact, they could potentially even use it to their benefit - if T3 was closed due to an incident and they could successfully split it off from T2 and Intl-G then you could push people to those other two terminals to clear security, and once the incident has been cleared simply let them straight back into T3 without the additional delay of going through security.
Thereís an airside connection between T2 and T3?
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GFrye View Post

Thereís an airside connection between T2 and T3?
no
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
no
Thatís what I thought. But the previous post implies that there is.
Old Mar 25, 19, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by GFrye View Post
Thatís what I thought. But the previous post implies that there is.
Context matters. The post I was replying to, which I'd quoted, started with "As much as I'm looking forward to the (eventual) day when SFO is fully connected airside, ..."

In the context of what happens when they are fully connected (which is apparently the goal), then yes, there would be a connector between T2 and T3. But no, today there is not.
ryw likes this.

Search this Thread