Is SFO Doomed?

Old May 20, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by garykung
Really wrong assumption.

For the last few days, I have been driving around the Bay Area. The rain was definitely localized to an area.
My point is that the airports are so close to each other (as the bird, or plane, flies) that if it is raining near one, as a matter of geography, it is raining near the other one.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My point is that the airports are so close to each other (as the bird, or plane, flies) that if it is raining near one, as a matter of geography, it is raining near the other one.
And the same weather that creates delays at SFO does not create delays at SJC/OAK. The reason delays exist at SFO is inbound traffic has to be reduced; the quantity of traffic at SJC/OAK is never enough to require any delay program.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
And the same weather that creates delays at SFO does not create delays at SJC/OAK. The reason delays exist at SFO is inbound traffic has to be reduced; the quantity of traffic at SJC/OAK is never enough to require any delay program.
OAK and SJC do not have the parallel runway situation. And not only do SFO arrivals need to be cut in half, but departures are usually cut from 4 runways to 2.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's been studies over the years to space the runways at SFO further apart so they don't have to reduce takeoffs and landing during inclement weather. They never go anywhere, though, because it would involve filling the Bay and expanding the airport, and that just isn't going to happen with an environmentally conscious Bay Area. Part of living here is knowing that SFO will have reduced capacity when the weather is bad. It's part of the cost we pay for living in the Bay Area.

Tom in Cairns
Old May 20, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many people who live near airports are not at all interested in airport expansion. I lived in Burbank and watched the airport lose the battle for more gates, a new two level terminal, and jetways. And it wasn't only Burbank. Residents of Studio City, directly in the main takeoff flight path, were against it as well. The opposition is really only environmentally driven in terms of jet noise. Though of course advocates always try to expand their arguments to carbon footprints, etc. The issue was jet noise.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:27 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by rickg523
Many people who live near airports are not at all interested in airport expansion. I lived in Burbank and watched the airport lose the battle for more gates, a new two level terminal, and jetways. And it wasn't only Burbank. Residents of Studio City, directly in the main takeoff flight path, were against it as well. The opposition is really only environmentally driven in terms of jet noise. Though of course advocates always try to expand their arguments to carbon footprints, etc. The issue was jet noise.
Most of the noise associated with SFO is over the water. I think others are correct that the issue as to SFO specifically is the bay-fill that would be required to build a new runway, and the associated environmental impacts of that.

The current "plan" is to use technology to make more landings possible in bad weather, and to some degree that has occurred, but we have a very long way to go.
ryw likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:30 pm
nnn

Originally Posted by garykung
Maybe because there was no rain near SJC/OAK?
Even if that were true, that has nothing to do with it, as others have noted.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
There's been studies over the years to space the runways at SFO further apart so they don't have to reduce takeoffs and landing during inclement weather. They never go anywhere, though, because it would involve filling the Bay and expanding the airport, and that just isn't going to happen with an environmentally conscious Bay Area. Part of living here is knowing that SFO will have reduced capacity when the weather is bad. It's part of the cost we pay for living in the Bay Area.
The plan was to offset the new fill with environmental upgrades elsewhere, and thus was acceptable to some so-called environmental advocates. The runway expansion plan was under serious consideration at one point when capacity was expanding, but was shelved after 9/11 and the 2008 recession when traffic fell. The primary cause was the lack of funding, not environmental concerns - and it was difficult to justify when demand fell off.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nnn
Most of the noise associated with SFO is over the water.
Although...

Palo Alto Moves Closer To Suing FAA Over Jets

https://kcbsradio.radio.com/blogs/ma...over-jet-noise
Old May 22, 2019, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Save the Bay has a piece on their website about SFO:

In 1998, SFO reversed a decade of denials and announced it would build runways farther into San Francisco Bay by launching a $75 million public relations campaign to sell the public on the largest proposed Bay fill project since the 1960s. SFO’s media blitzes and paid opposition research instead strengthened a deep regional consensus against paving over more of our Bay, which has already been shrunk by one-third.

Save The Bay mobilized region-wide opposition to the project, culminating in overwhelming passage by San Francisco voters of Proposition D in 2001. That ballot measure changed the city charter to prohibit large Bay fill projects without a voter approval. A subsequent city audit of SFO found the airport had pushed the runway project instead of studying alternatives, discounted public input, skirted contracting regulations, and spent huge sums on consultants and vendors.

After four years of intense public scrutiny and Save The Bay advocacy, and with the airport more than $4 billion in debt, SFO shelved its plans and the Board of Supervisors prohibited any further spending on runway expansion into the Bay. Finally, in 2008, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed a resolution that no additional fill should be placed in San Francisco Bay for new or reconfigured runways at San Francisco International Airport, ending a nearly decade-long battle.
https://savesfbay.org/impact/prevented-bay-fill
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:49 pm
nnn

Looks like SFO's GBAS installation is proceeding. Although not directly mentioned in this press release, I was under the impression that one of the system's benefits would be an increased landing rate in bad weather -- by allowing better use of both parallel runways -- thereby reducing SFO's notorious weather delays. Hopefully that does come to pass.

https://www.honeywell.com/us/en/pres...ntation-system
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by nnn
Looks like SFO's GBAS installation is proceeding. Although not directly mentioned in this press release, I was under the impression that one of the system's benefits would be an increased landing rate in bad weather -- by allowing better use of both parallel runways -- thereby reducing SFO's notorious weather delays. Hopefully that does come to pass.

https://www.honeywell.com/us/en/pres...ntation-system
Cool! It does seem like technical innovations should be able to solve the problem of very poor visibility on the approach to SFO. I would imagine that at some point it will be completely automated, with pilots only being at the ready to override in case of malfunction.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Palal
The problem in the bay area is the tribalism and the fragmented management of the infrastructure - not just airport infrastructure. In a perfect world, OAK and SFO would be connected by a 20-25-min ferry, which would allow for the two airports to operate as an airport system. Given how the current management practices are set up, that won't happen any time in the future.
I agree that multiple airports acting as a single-airport-system, is probably one of the steps necessary for some sort of intra-airport connection (be it ferries, buses, or a train). But also want to point out that it would, by far, be no guarantee. For example: the three major NYC area airports (JFK, EWR, and LGA) are all managed under PANYNJ, and look at the state of their intra-airport transportation. Definitely no cohesive system between them (save for private shuttles and the like), and there is legitimately demand between pairs like LGA-JFK (actually far more than any of the three Bay airports).

All we've gotten instead (passengers, airlines, etc.) is monopolistic behavior such as generally high landing fees, and comparatively poorly maintained facilities.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Is SFO really the only airport with an open lounge still? So not all that doomed.
+
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/08/san-francisco-covid-herd-immunity
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:30 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
First time in SFO in about 18 months.

I checked my bag in (UA ticket but Lh counter was great, no complaint about 25-26 kilos and interlinked it to a separate ticket AF flight). Then went outside since I had a couple of hours. There is no enforcement of drop off cars at the Intl terminal. One airport person and she let people park, go inside with people they dropped off, then come back out.

when did they loosen up those rules or has covid overtaken security concerns?

then a big bottleneck in the TSA Pre line. The guy took my passport and two boarding passes and returned one, didn’t notice until later. Turns out he gave my boarding pass, with the baggage claim ticket interlinked through th separate AF flight, to another part.

most of the shops are closed down. UC club is closed, would have to go to Terminal 3, wherever that is. Polaris lounge lights seemed on but not open.

I guess also f you wer going to do a last minute test, you’d b out of luck in the International Terminal, because I didn’t see anything.

are there domestic destinations requiring tests? You’d think people going to international destinations, through you know the International Terminal, would née the last minute tests.

terrace by gate 7/8 is nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.