Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is SFO Doomed?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by djp98374

from a commuting to the airport from east side it’s easier to get to sfo because you can be at airport instead of waiting in the hood for a shuttle that you have to pay for.
From the median East Bay location, as mentioned above, best case scenario SFO is only 15-20 min further than OAK (plus bridge toll if driving). On BART, generally 20-30 min further. I guess it's "easier" from some places (at some times) because it can be a one seat BART ride, but in most every other circumstance, it's not easier or faster.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by NYTA
Oakland should change the name to SF Bay/Oakland Airport . It's on the SF Bay so nobody can dispute the name. Would definitely help with marketing .
​​​
As an example on how this won't work - do you know that that PANYNJ does not advertise EWR as a NYC airport, even it is commonly accepted as a NYC airport?

Originally Posted by Palal
The problem in the bay area is the tribalism and the fragmented management of the infrastructure - not just airport infrastructure. In a perfect world, OAK and SFO would be connected by a 20-25-min ferry, which would allow for the two airports to operate as an airport system. Given how the current management practices are set up, that won't happen any time in the future.
Not true at all.

1. The State of California controls most aspects of transportation in the Bay Area. To name a few, transportation infrastructure falls under either the MTC or Caltrans or both.

2. All public water transportation in the Bay Area is managed as a regional level.

3. Your perfect world does not exist because the demand would be way too low.

There is ferry service between SSF and Alameda Harbor Bay, which has only 1 scheduled service per day. If the demand is high enough to justify inter-airport transportation. The ferry piers would have been built/moved near both airports with significant increase in service.

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
The problem is BART runs BART, not the airport, and BART has its own budget considerations.
It is not a standalone problem in the Bay Area.

In fact, many airport connections are not run by the airports themselves.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
1. The State of California controls most aspects of transportation in the Bay Area. To name a few, transportation infrastructure falls under either the MTC or Caltrans or both.
Freeways yes, but cities and counties are responsible for most roads and just about every public transit agency is operated at the regional or municipal level, not state
Old May 8, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Freeways yes, but cities and counties are responsible for most roads and just about every public transit agency is operated at the regional or municipal level, not state
I am actually responding to this:

The problem in the bay area is the tribalism and the fragmented management of the infrastructure - not just airport infrastructure.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Almost all of our public transit agencies are separate governments, not related to the municipal / county jurisdictions/governance in which they serve. This is why it takes 3 fares on 3 different systems to go approximately 13 miles, should I travel to an area of SF where I need to take MUNI. AC Transit (own government) to BART (own government) to MUNI (run by SF, not its own government). BART is even more complicated, because the counties that aren't part of the original BART district that BART now serves had to "buy in" and if anyone wants a great lesson in how not to build efficient mass transit, just look at how the Santa Clara County extension is going (essentially built by an agency other than BART (which just happens to be another Special District government), to be delivered to BART). But hey, what do you expect from an agency (not BART) that decided to call their light rail service SCAT (Santa Clara Area Transit) until the poopoodoodookaka was about to hit the train.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
For me, it’s not really SFO vs. OAK. They’re both better-than-average airports that have different focuses. I regularly use both, and I’m grateful to have two good options. I especially like OAK AirBART. Even at the peak of rush hour the trip to OAK on BART is not stressful.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
There's little coordination in land use and transportation planning and too much of it is left to the municipalities, which are tribalist in their nature.

2. All public water transportation in the Bay Area is managed as a regional level.
I think you mean mismanaged.

3. Your perfect world does not exist because the demand would be way too low.
There is ferry service between SSF and Alameda Harbor Bay, which has only 1 scheduled service per day. If the demand is high enough to justify inter-airport transportation. The ferry piers would have been built/moved near both airports with significant increase in service.
Yup, the demand curve picks up when you have service every 15-30 mins. Look at HKG for a good example of an airport with a well-functioning private ferry system.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's little coordination in land use and transportation planning and too much of it is left to the municipalities, which are tribalist in their nature.
Specifically?

I think you mean mismanaged.
I don't see how...

Yup, the demand curve picks up when you have service every 15-30 mins. Look at HKG for a good example of an airport with a well-functioning private ferry system.
HKG is totally different. Because HKG wants to become the regional airport among 3 different borders, so HKG has to work with different providers to enhance its transportation network.

On the other hand, SFO and OAK is within 1 single border. If the demand was there, we should be able to see frequent coach service in lieu of BART.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
I never use SFO for west coast flights. Today was a great example, few drops of rain, and the SoCal-SFO flights are delayed all over the place, while SJC/OAK are operating normally.

That said, the flight choices east of the Rockies are much, much better than OAK/SJC. It's also the only spot for premium flights like P.S., AA 321T, and Mint.

SFO is also a nice airport inside the terminal, way less chaotic than LAX.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:15 pm

For me, on TCONs, don't really have much of a choice. SJC is too far, and no way I'm sitting on WN on anything longer than 90 min. So, it's SFO or bust on TCONs. Now, on shorter flights to LAX/LAS, definitely prefer WN out of OAK, especially now that the BART connection is finished sparing us from that Bus ride from the station.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did someone really ask if an airport located ~3 miles from the San Andreas Fault is “doomed”?
Old May 19, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
Did someone really ask if an airport located ~3 miles from the San Andreas Fault is “doomed”?
On the one hand, the runways may suffer from likwa fakshen. On the other hand, maybe 28R will just drift several hundred feet further northeast, and provide decent separation from 28R, so after repairs, we won't suffer from such chronic delays.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Today was a great example, few drops of rain, and the SoCal-SFO flights are delayed all over the place, while SJC/OAK are operating normally.
Maybe because there was no rain near SJC/OAK?
Old May 20, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Maybe because there was no rain near SJC/OAK?
If there's rain near SFO, there's rain near OAK. It is all about parallel runways @ SFO being too close together for simultaneous usage during all but the loveliest of visibility and the calmest of winds.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If there's rain near SFO, there's rain near OAK.
Really wrong assumption.

For the last few days, I have been driving around the Bay Area. The rain was definitely localized to an area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.