Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Monterey to SF, but cheaply?

Old Mar 6, 19, 10:46 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum

Hi FT,

It may be that the Bay Area and the word cheaply are never again to elope, nevertheless Iím curious about cheaper options between Monterey and downtown SF on a weekday.

Cheers!

BmB
Old Mar 6, 19, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Hi FT,

It may be that the Bay Area and the word cheaply are never again to elope, nevertheless Iím curious about cheaper options between Monterey and downtown SF on a weekday.

Cheers!

BmB
Have you tried Google Maps, and clicked on the "public transportation" option? You can adjust the departure date and time; the default is the next available routing.
Old Mar 6, 19, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
You can take a bus with a connection in Salinas or a bus connecting to Caltrain in Gilroy or San Jose. The total cost of the trip is anywhere from $14 to $29.

Take a look at Rome2Rio for details.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Appreciate both of your replies.

Never liked google maps, but itís a fair suggestion. Also, will check out the Salinas bus.

Now, to find a decent pho restaurant in the san jose area...
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Hi FT,

Cheers!

BmB
Have you looked at the airport bus from Monterey to SFO (and then BART up to SF)?
Old Mar 7, 19, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I don't know if you're a senior citizen or disabled, but if you are, a lot of the SF Bay Area public transit (like transit in many places) is discounted at roughly half off for seniors 65 and over and disabled people. It helps if you get a Clipper Card first, though. It's valid on 22 Bay Area transit agencies, though apparently NOT including MST (Monterey Salinas Transit); those areas aren't part of the 9-county Bay Area.

https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/index.do
Old Mar 7, 19, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Anyone know if Uber Pool (or whatever they call their cheapest, share-with-others option) is available in Monterey? If so, that might be a great option. I once did an Uber Pool from my home in the Berkeley Hills to SFO for $21. Regular taxi fare for that would be over $100.
Old Mar 7, 19, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Have you looked at the airport bus from Monterey to SFO (and then BART up to SF)?
This one?

I am trying to find a better rate than that.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
I don't know if you're a senior citizen or disabled, but if you are, a lot of the SF Bay Area public transit (like transit in many places) is discounted at roughly half off for seniors 65 and over and disabled people. It helps if you get a Clipper Card first, though. It's valid on 22 Bay Area transit agencies, though apparently NOT including MST (Monterey Salinas Transit); those areas aren't part of the 9-county Bay Area.

https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/index.do
I'm nowhere near senior citizen-age, but it's a fair point. (You bring up a good suggestion, though...can one get the Clipper card at SFO - e.g. on a layover - without going to the BART station?)

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Anyone know if Uber Pool (or whatever they call their cheapest, share-with-others option) is available in Monterey? If so, that might be a great option. I once did an Uber Pool from my home in the Berkeley Hills to SFO for $21. Regular taxi fare for that would be over $100.
Will check this out, too!
Old Mar 7, 19, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Will check this out, too!
Take a look at Uber Pool, but it would be hard to beat TWA884's bus suggestion if you're going for the cheapest approach.

ETA: For fun, I just plugged in my home in Berkeley to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. No Pool option; regular Uber for $134. I'm guessing that the Pool concept doesn't work for such long trips between metro areas, with sparsely populated areas in between.

Last edited by dhuey; Mar 7, 19 at 12:23 pm
Old Mar 7, 19, 1:41 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
I'm nowhere near senior citizen-age, but it's a fair point. (You bring up a good suggestion, though...can one get the Clipper card at SFO - e.g. on a layover - without going to the BART station?)
I believe you'd have to go outside of security to the either SFO BART station (which is attached to the International terminal departures level near the G gate side) or at one of the SFO Information kiosks in Terminals 1/2/3 on the arrivals levels. All these options are outside security though. If you have a long enough layover to re-clear security, you could probably do it.
Old Mar 8, 19, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Ö.I'm nowhere near senior citizen-age, but it's a fair point. (You bring up a good suggestion, though...can one get the Clipper card at SFO - e.g. on a layover - without going to the BART station?)
Ö.
According to the Clipper Card website page showing retail locations, you should be able to buy a regular adult Clipper Card at SFO at:

Terminals 1, 2, 3: Airport Information Booth on Arrivals Level 1 (in each domestic terminal)

International Terminal: Airport Information Booth on Departures Level 3, near BART station

https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/map.do
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:09 pm

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but for future readers, I am a regular between Monterey County and the Bay Area. Not as frequent these days, but still know it like the back of my hand.

The Monterey - Salinas Transit agency runs buses once or twice per day to/from San Jose Diridon or San Jose Airport, Bus 55 to/from Monterey and Bus 86 to/from Salinas. Fares are $12 adult / $6 disabled, senior or student. Day passes are the same cost, so be sure to get the Day Pass for any MST buses you may take before or after your long distance ride.

55 schedule to/from San Jose Diridon Station: https://mst.org/wp-content/media/55.pdf
86 schedule to/from San Jose Airport and San Jose Diridon Station: https://mst.org/wp-content/media/86.pdf

Another option is the Amtrak bus between Salinas and San Jose Diridon Station. By policy, you must book a train segment with any of the Amtrak buses. I usually book the multi-segment ticket as SNS-SJC bus + SJC-SCC (Santa Clara) train and throw away the train segment. Like airline tickets, book the train segment as the second segment so the entire ticket isn't cancelled for no-showing. This Amtrak journey is usually around $20-$25 one way.

Once you hop off either bus at Diridon, you can catch Caltrain up to San Francisco and points between, and vice versa for the reverse journey. Or catch the VTA Bus 181 to/from Fremont BART to get to/from the east side of the Bay.
squeakr and MDtR-Chicago like this.

Search this Thread