Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

ride-sharing in SF with toddler

Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue

We are _maybe_ considering a move to SF in the near future and will be coming on a visit in a couple of months as a family to check out home prices (already dreading that part), schools etc. On my previous (solo) visits to SF, I tend to get around with an Uber. However, since this time will be a family visit, we have the added logistics of having a toddler (will be 2) in tow. Lugging around a car seat with us between multiple stops is not really a feasible option, but hiring a car in SF is also far from ideal...

We live in Beijing, and although when we drive ourselves, we use a car seat, if we need to take a taxi, that's just not possible, and we are cool with it. I know that in the UK, taking a taxi without a car seat is also permissible. But I am under the impression that the law in CA is far more restrictive. Since we'll also want to check out the suburbs (out of necessity), public transport also isn't totally practical...

First, what is the actual law on this in CA? Secondly, any tips/ suggestions on how to make this visit work?

thanks!

tb

PS I'm sure we'll have other questions on how to make life in SF work on a _relatively_ modest budget (if we go, I'll be at UCSF) going forward...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:42 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
California law does not exempt taxis from the child safety seats requirements that apply to regular passenger vehicles.
As to the logistics of using a car seat in cabs and ride-share vehicles, I haven't a clue.

Edited to add: Apparently, Uber does have a car seat option for an extra charge (Lyft has car seats available only in NYC).
Airport Taxi Cab SFO SJC OAK also offers car seat taxi service.

P.S. You may get a better response in the Travel with Children forum.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, as I feared (although in my reading of the link I couldn't see specific reference to taxis). I did note that Uber has a car-seat option for $10/ ride, but it wasn't clear if this was available in SF from my reading.

Since cross-posting not permitted, would you mind transferring the thread to the Travel with children forum, thanks!

tb
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Vehicle Code Section 27363 lists all the exemptions to the car seat requirement. Taxis and ride-shares are not mentioned, so they are not exempt.

I do not have moderating privileges in the San Francisco forum. Use the alert button - - on your original post to request the moderator to move the thread to the Travel with Children forum.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Vehicle Code Section 27363 lists all the exemptions to the car seat requirement. Taxis and ride-shares are not mentioned, so they are not exempt.

I do not have moderating privileges in the San Francisco forum. Use the alert button - - on your original post to request the moderator to move the thread to the Travel with Children forum.
Thanks...and Uber's SF blog page confirms that one needs one's own car seat -- and they don't offer the car seat option.

Have alerted mods, thanks.

tb
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:33 am

So here is my .02. If you are going to be “checking out the suburbs” as you say, rent a car and stay (hotel) out of the city. Most hotels out of the city will have free parking.

This is going to give you far better mobility in the suburbs, which will save you time and money. You can rent cars with child seats or bring your own. Then when you want to go to SF drive to a BART station, park, and “commute” into the city.

Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Can you bring a portable car seat / booster seat?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
in the past in these situations, we purchased an inexpensive car seat thru Amazon and had it waiting for us at our hotel. I believe you can order a black car with a car seat from Sfo.

Also agree w suggestion that if you’re just visiting the suburbs that you rent a car (this advice does not apply to visiting in SF)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far.

The issues are that the visit has multiple purposes:
1. An academic visit to UCSF to meet with potential future colleagues, negotiate work issues etc.
2. Visit with realtors etc to look at "what we can afford" in the SF area: since we have two kids, we are focusing on suburbs e.g. East Bay, since public schools are better there than the city. I can't see a realtor agreeing to transport us to sites without a car seat, and I wouldn't expect them to have one themselves.
3. Get a sense of what living in the Bay area would be like: I've had multiple (academic) visits to SF, but never lived there, and my wife has only visited briefly with me once. Given the relatively "gritty" nature of SF compared with e.g. Boston area that we're very familiar with, this will be an important part of the decision-making process for us.

As such, we're open to staying at a hotel across the Bay, but I don't think it will address all the issues. I don't have a big problem driving in SF, it's parking around SF that's more of an issue! And buying a car seat won't solve the main issue: of needing a car seat to get around if we don't rent a car: going from one spot in the city to another spot lugging a car seat is not really (at all) practical. Given our son's age, a booster seat won't be acceptable.

I'm leaning towards the fact that we'll need to rent a car, even though it will be a pain for many issues, not having a car may be an even bigger issue.

tb
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Have you checked rental / purchase prices for SF homes and lifestyle? It’s expensive. If you work at UCSF, how will you get there from the suburbs - use google maps for a sense of public transportation. Do you want to have to take a bart and bus or Caltrain and bus twice a day to get from home to work?
it is insanely expensive to live here. Just make sure you’ve done the math to make sure it’s worth it.

Public schools in california are nonstop in peril. Teachers in Oakland (east bay) recently went on strike because of working conditions. The ratio is like 1:22 and then becomes 1:35 at 4th grade.

$1M will get you a 1/2 bedroom condo in parts of this region but there’s a lot of competition.
Supposedly according to the New York Times, a lot of tech iPos will cause housing prices to increase

ymmv!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by trueblu
I don't have a big problem driving in SF, it's parking around SF that's more of an issue!
Are you up to date on the vehicle burglary problem in San Francisco, particularly when they're easily identifiable rental cars?
gaobest likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Are you up to date on the vehicle burglary problem in San Francisco, particularly when they're easily identifiable rental cars?
I've heard that car crime is an issue...but I can't believe (perhaps I'm wrong!) that it's so rampant that the chances of getting one's car broken into is >1-5% on a week-long visit (which is still a lot!) Am I wrong?

tb
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Have you checked rental / purchase prices for SF homes and lifestyle? It’s expensive. If you work at UCSF, how will you get there from the suburbs - use google maps for a sense of public transportation. Do you want to have to take a bart and bus or Caltrain and bus twice a day to get from home to work?
it is insanely expensive to live here. Just make sure you’ve done the math to make sure it’s worth it.

Public schools in california are nonstop in peril. Teachers in Oakland (east bay) recently went on strike because of working conditions. The ratio is like 1:22 and then becomes 1:35 at 4th grade.

$1M will get you a 1/2 bedroom condo in parts of this region but there’s a lot of competition.
Supposedly according to the New York Times, a lot of tech iPos will cause housing prices to increase

ymmv!
yes, we know it's expensive..part of the reason for the trip is to see if we can make it work...

tb
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gaobest

There are many many school districts in the Bay Area, and you can go from some of the best to some of the worst in a matter of blocks. For instance, if you want to live East Bay close-in (Bay side of the hills), you'll find that people want to live in the Albany, Berkeley and Piedmont districts, and housing prices are reflected accordingly. You'll generally want to stay away from the Oakland schools as well as the West Contra Costa schools, or budget for private school.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
There are many many school districts in the Bay Area, and you can go from some of the best to some of the worst in a matter of blocks. For instance, if you want to live East Bay close-in (Bay side of the hills), you'll find that people want to live in the Albany, Berkeley and Piedmont districts, and housing prices are reflected accordingly. You'll generally want to stay away from the Oakland schools as well as the West Contra Costa schools, or budget for private school.
As a product of Oakland public schools and a parent planning to send kids to Oakland public schools, I would say that's too broad a brush to use. There are good public schools in Oakland. See 8s, 9s and 10s here https://www.greatschools.org/california/oakland/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.