Napa Mud Baths?

Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:01 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Napa Mud Baths?

Thinking about trying a mud bath somewhere in Napa. A few years ago, we did one at Golden Haven, since it was one of the best priced places. However, it was a nightmare. The mud rooms were tiny, the tubs hard to get in and out, and there was a heater at the bottom of each mud tub that threatened to burn your skin. I almost killed myself getting in and out, since the mud was slippery, the tub sides were steep, and there were virtually no handrails. We were thinking of trying again, this time at a more "luxury" spa, like Auberge at Solage. Has anyone tried this? Is the experience any better with the higher priced spas?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Mud is what it is

My DH had the WORST experience of his life at Indian Springs, the chi chi mud baths in Calistoga - actually burned his skin.
I find ALL the mud too hot for me anymore so I can't say you'd have a better experience at a better place. Golden Haven was our go to for years and we never encountered the issues you had.
I also like Calistoga Spa - old school but very clean and the attendants actually make sure you're oK.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
It's been a long time, but I thought Dr. Wilkenson's in Calistoga was pretty good: Hotels Calistoga Calistoga Hotel Calistoga Resort Hotel

I doubt I'll ever have another mud bath. It was a novel experience, but I don't think it's that different from a regular bath, and it takes some time to get all that mud off of you.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:57 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by squeakr
Golden Haven was our go to for years and we never encountered the issues you had.
It's possible that I'm just more frail as I've gotten older. I fell on a sloping sidewalk in S.F. and fractured my shoulder, which I never expected would happen. So, I'm a lot more sensitive to slipping and falling nowadays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.