Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OAK, SFO or SJC airport to visit Tesla plant in Fremont, California

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

OAK, SFO or SJC airport to visit Tesla plant in Fremont, California

It looks like SJC is easiest airport to get to Tesla Freemont Factory. But if the flight time is better and I can get space in First Class out of SFO is it worth it the extra distance? I would be departing PHX to SJC or SFO
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Centurion
It looks like SJC is easiest airport to get to Tesla Freemont Factory. But if the flight time is better and I can get space in First Class out of SFO is it worth it the extra distance? I would be departing PHX to SJC or SFO
First class between PHX and SFO or SJC wouldn't make a difference for me. Flight time and costs might matter to me, if there is much of a difference.
SFO is a longer drive, and if commute hours are involved, that would add quite a bit from either airport, so I would prefer the closer one.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
OAK is also another good option. Straight shot down 880.

personally, OAK or SJC over SFO.
JDiver, TWA884 and ryw like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold.
SJC and up 880 or OAK and down 880. While SFO is good, unless you are use to the two southern brides, avoid the Bay Bridge. It is not worth the hassle.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
OAK or SJC are most convenient, and while you may have OAK traffic depending on the hour, it won't be nearly as bad as potential San Mateo or Dumbarton Bridge traffic from/to SFO or looping around to 237, or traffic as you approach San Jose from Fremont on 880. No traffic, SJC is the most convenient by distance. SFO - always run the risk of flight delays, and the shorter hops are always the first to go (as in, delay or cancel).
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:32 pm

My pick would be Oakland as it's on the right side of the bay......
Picking up your new car ?
Harris ranch on the 5 freeway has Tesla fast chargers if you are driving back...
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is actually a San Francisco Bay Area related question, and will be moved there.

Fremont is in the east side of San Francisco Bay, as is Oakland. San Jose is at the southwest end of the Bay, and SFO is on the west side of the Bay so one must use the San Mateo or Dumbarton bridges. Traffic throughout the area can be congested throughout during usual morning and afternoon rush hours.

SJC: 11 miles / 18 minutes using I 880 northbound (served by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines)

OAK: 24 miles, 33 minutes using I 880 southbound (served domestically by Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Boutique Air, Contour Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines)

SFO: 34 miles / 42 minutes 101 S to CA 84 E / Dumbarton Bridge to I 880 southbound, or fuhgeddaboudid because traffic can stink (served domestically by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Sun Country Airlines)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 26, 2019 at 1:28 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MrSyslogd
SJC and up 880 or OAK and down 880. While SFO is good, unless you are use to the two southern brides, avoid the Bay Bridge. It is not worth the hassle.
Bay Bridge is a bit out of the way. I would take 84 or 92 to get from SFO to Fremont
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Bay Bridge is a bit out of the way. I would take 84 or 92 to get from SFO to Fremont
Bay Bridge is a lot out of the way, and presents the most opportunities for major traffic jams. I would not discount 237 and look at the traffic conditions at the start of the trip.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There's a few very critical pieces of information that haven't been asked yet - what time of day, what day of the week, and how many people will be in the car for the drive (eg, rental car with just you, or Uber/rental with at least 2 people so you can use the car pool lanes).

It's impossible to answer which is "best" without knowing these - although as a general answer SJC will win in most cases. It's closer, generally less traffic, and less prone to delays than SFO. Personally for such a short flight there's no way I'd do SFO over SJC just to sit up the front.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'll join the chorus: SJC or OAK, not SFO. In addition to traffic (can be really bad at times) issues, SFO is more likely to have a weather-related delay for your short flight.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

More than 2 traveling and Most likely Uber
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Centurion
More than 2 traveling and Most likely Uber
Carpool lane from SFO would help, but not that much. Stick with SJC or OAK.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Carpool lane from SFO would help, but not that much. Stick with SJC or OAK.
Listen to the wise man. He lives on a hill.
dhuey likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Gold.
Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.