FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   24 hours in SFO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1950702-24-hours-sfo.html)

beachboy1966 Jan 12, 2019 7:00 pm

24 hours in SFO

Travelling to the US for 24hrs as a result of securing the CX error fare.
Would love some advice how to spend my time there, what to see and do, and I don't necessarily mean the "touristy" things! I know 24 hrs is far to short to get a taste of the real SFO life, but one can only hope and try :)

Also, a good place to stay which does not cost a fortune would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

moondog Jan 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by beachboy1966 (Post 30647157)
Travelling to the US for 24hrs as a result of securing the CX error fare.
Would love some advice how to spend my time there, what to see and do, and I don't necessarily mean the "touristy" things! I know 24 hrs is far to short to get a taste of the real SFO life, but one can only hope and try :)

Also, a good place to stay which does not cost a fortune would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I would certainly wouldn't want to stay in SFO for 24 hours. There is more to do in the city, and other parts of the bay area (I'm partial to the south bay myself because I used to live there).

dhuey Jan 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30647171)
I would certainly wouldn't want to stay in SFO for 24 hours. There is more to do in the city, and other parts of the bay area (I'm partial to the south bay myself because I used to live there).

Just so beachboy1966 get your point, let me explain that usually on FlyerTalk we use the three-letter airport codes to refer only to the airport, not the city. It helps to avoid confusion when you go with SF for the city and leave SFO for only the airport.

gaobest Jan 13, 2019 7:52 am

Stay in bernal heights or the mission; it’s closest to SFO and there’s enough to see and enjoy. Or stay in Hayes Valley. All 3 areas are good for walking and summoning lyft / rideshares
like all cities in USA, you’ll see a mix of people with diverse levels of ethnicity, age, gender, income, physical mobility, and mental health.

beachboy1966 Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 30647499)
Just so beachboy1966 get your point, let me explain that usually on FlyerTalk we use the three-letter airport codes to refer only to the airport, not the city. It helps to avoid confusion when you go with SF for the city and leave SFO for only the airport.

Thanks and point noted!
Have decided to stay in Union Square and will do some discovering there!

te36 Jan 14, 2019 1:15 am

Rent a bicycle (near pier 39 or so), drive it across golden gate bridge to sausalitos, get some food, return with the ferry.
One time doing this (i live in the area), i met someone who said he was just there for just 24 hours, passing through from the UK to hawaii.

Haven't been downtown SF for a while, if prices for a hotel where unreasonably low (as in: not horribly overpriced), then its probbably because of the central subway construction project.

keisari Jan 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Would consider one of the hotels in Japantown/Fillmore area
Lots of restaurants for breakfast, brunch, lunch, coffee, dinner
Lots of places to have a drink
Great quirky Japanese stores.
Walk down Fillmore towards the bay. There is a great park close to the water and you can walk back up.
Great views and great work out.