Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

T2 to T3 at SFO - Airside Connection?

Old Dec 13, 18, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer

Hi. You'd think I would know more about my home airport, but I don't. LOL. I've actually flown in and out of Changi in Singapore more often than SFO, but that's another story

My wife and I are taking Alaska Airlines, a T2 airline, in a couple of weeks. We're in cattle class (only a one hour flight) and I don't have any lounge access in T2. I do, however, have Priority Pass and there are a couple of places in T3 we can use wit the pass. So, I'm wondering if there is any airside connection beteen T2 and T3. I'm pretty sure there's an airside connection between T3 and the G gates of the International Terminal, but I have no idea on a T2-T3 connection.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 18, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
No airside connection. SFO security will let you enter any terminal with a valid boarding pass, so you will be allowed to enter T3 if you want, but you'd need to go landside and then re-clear security in T2 to get to your flight.
Old Dec 14, 18, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Thanks Docbert. I was afraid that was the case. TSA at SFO is decent, but I hate the thought of going through it twice just to get a lobster roll.
Old Dec 14, 18, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Alas, it doesn't seem like a T2 to T3 airside connector is even on the drawing board. I'm guessing that T1C to T1B to International-A will happen before that. Maybe someday.

For future reference, note that there is an airside connection from T2 to T1C. If you have the Amex Plat, you can use the Delta Sky Lounge in T1C when traveling on Delta. It's a pretty nice lounge.
Old Dec 16, 18, 12:12 am
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Alas, it doesn't seem like a T2 to T3 airside connector is even on the drawing board. I'm guessing that T1C to T1B to International-A will happen before that. Maybe someday.

For future reference, note that there is an airside connection from T2 to T1C. If you have the Amex Plat, you can use the Delta Sky Lounge in T1C when traveling on Delta. It's a pretty nice lounge.
From the outside of the terminal, it looks like there's a logical place for a T2-T3 airside connector hallway to be built (my guess it was intentionally planned that way to make an extension easier in the future), but alas it seems like that hasn't materialized yet, and perhaps won't for a while. (Personally though, I'm just waiting for the International-A to T1B landside walkway to open up again so that I don't have to walk the long way around the loop to get from BART to T1)
Old Dec 16, 18, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
From the outside of the terminal, it looks like there's a logical place for a T2-T3 airside connector hallway to be built
There's no financial justification for such a tunnel. T3 is United only, and Intl G is almost exclusively *A. T2 is AA and Alaska only. The number of people moving between those two terminals would be small - especially if you exclude any that need to go airline to collect/recheck baggage.
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
There's no financial justification for such a tunnel. T3 is United only, and Intl G is almost exclusively *A. T2 is AA and Alaska only. The number of people moving between those two terminals would be small - especially if you exclude any that need to go airline to collect/recheck baggage.
At the moment that seems right, but consider how many rearrangements there have been for airlines at SFO in the last two decades. An airside hallway isn't a crazy expensive idea. Once it's done, the airport can very quickly move things around when airlines merge, change alliances, etc.
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I'm guessing that T1C to T1B to International-A will happen before that. Maybe someday.
A-B-C airside is the plan anyway... who knows when it will all get done though.
Old Dec 17, 18, 10:02 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Depending on your AS flight, there is actually a very very very slight chance it will operate out of the International Terminal A gates in which case you would have access to the Air France -KLM lounge. I've also recently had some AS flights depart from T1 gates 47-48 but that doesn't change your lounge options.

But as others have said, If you want you can access T3 with you boarding pass to go to the Giants Clubhouse or Yankee Pier then exit and go to T2.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: Sky Miles Aadvantage United Mileage Plus Southwest Rapid Rewards
A T2 to T3 airside connector was in the 2016 SFO capital plan, so, in theory in should be done in the next 2-3 years: http://media.flysfo.com/media/sfo/De...2004-07-16.pdf
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by srockgibson View Post
A T2 to T3 airside connector was in the 2016 SFO capital plan, so, in theory in should be done in the next 2-3 years: http://media.flysfo.com/media/sfo/De...2004-07-16.pdf
It'd be great if they make that happen. About 60% of the gates would then be connected airside, including all Delta, American, Alaska and United gates.
Old Apr 24, 19, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
A-B-C airside is the plan anyway... who knows when it will all get done though.
I see them working on it right now!
via https://www.flysfo.com/about-sfo/air...evelopment/t1:
Q2 2021: International Connector open, 7 additional gates (25 gates total), swing gates open
I'm currently sitting in the AF/KLM lounge in International-A and the construction from Terminal 1 is less than 10 feet from my face, hah. Sure looks like a connector, hard to believe it's going to be another two years until it's open.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium View Post

I'm currently sitting in the AF/KLM lounge in International-A and the construction from Terminal 1 is less than 10 feet from my face, hah. Sure looks like a connector, hard to believe it's going to be another two years until it's open.
The B piers of T1 will be replaced / completed in 2 parts. As I recall, one of them is still in use by WN and has not yet been destroyed, so logistically, it could still be a mess to have the connector from B to (Int'l) A. I've not had the good fortune to depart from the "delightful zone" between A and C in over a year, so I can only speak from what I've seen from the field, and from the no-longer-bright AF/KL lounge.
Old May 3, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve View Post
Thanks Docbert. I was afraid that was the case. TSA at SFO is decent, but I hate the thought of going through it twice just to get a lobster roll.
For what it is worth, if it operates at your home airport you might want to consider CLEAR. Worth every penny imho. With CLEAR and pre-check we routinely get through security in about 5 minutes and at all of the SFO terminals and would make it totally worth it to me for the lobster roll

Search this Thread